Chivalry (or whatever it's called that guys are supposed to do)

RedViking

Nord of the South
If it asks you why you gave up the seat, make sure you keep the response gender neutral.

epah

Expert Member
we are all equal remember, so i just look at her, roll my eyes then look the other way.

UrBaN963

Honorary Master
If she is with child, sure. And if she is just fat, you'd probably make her day. If you mention she is with child and you are wrong, you may as well use the fact that you are standing to start walking (or perhaps even running) to the door.
If she's that fat, surely a slow jog would suffice?

The_MAC

Executive Member
I learnt (by observation) this from my dad and find myself doing it often, he always had good gentleman habits i.e. Open doors, give up your seat, help someone lift a pram etc.

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
No good deed goes unpunished. Chivalry is dead, unless it is my mother or sister.

Then you get the odd occasion where women, whichever age, insist on it. The world is not the same as it was 10-15 years ago.

Last edited:

neoprema

Executive Member
I was at a conference in 2019 in the US, and this lady was pushing a very heavy trolley. A guy goes up to her and says "let me take that for you"

She loses it! lol. Like "Do you think i'm not capable, do I look like I need a man to take over from me? Next time rather say "Would you like some help" instead of assuming because I'm a woman I need you to do it for me."

Lol the guy just stood and blinked and she went off pushing the trolley. :ROFL:

So yeah, as others have said - if its someone older I'll offer but i'm weary about younger gen girls cause they have been brought up with a dumb misconception that chivalry is an accusation of weakness instead of respect.

Herr der Verboten

Honorary Master
You're sitting in a crowded room attending a talk. Lady (you don't know) walks in and there's no chair. Do you get up and offer her your chair, or do you ignore the impulse because this is some old timey nonsense?
Add a poll?

Depends. Tardiness has it's own rewards, but having good manners in general and being chivalrous should be applied in moderation inasmuch as not always giving way to someone else (reading the situation). What do you think?

Pineapple Smurf

Pineapple Beer Connoisseur
You're sitting in a crowded room attending a talk. Lady (you don't know) walks in and there's no chair. Do you get up and offer her your chair, or do you ignore the impulse because this is some old timey nonsense?
Yes, and also to pensioners and disabled people
Just the way I was brought up

Polymathic

Honorary Master
Professional setting? No.

Social setting and she’s hot? Maybe, if I thought she likes simps.
If she's hot I'd neg her about how she doesn't have a seat and when a simp eventually gives her his seat then I'd self depreciate myself on how mine not a gentleman like the other guy.

Chics eat that crap up

backstreetboy

Honorary Master
Yes first break the ice by cracking a joke (you're not going to get any longer by standing) and then offer her your chair.

Last edited:

pinball wizard

Honorary Master
I was raised to be a gentleman, so still offer my seat on a packed train, hold open doors, etc. If the person I'm doing it for happens to be a rabid feminazi, that's on them.
100% Offence is taken, not given. I'll always strive to do the right thing.