Christian consumers campaign against halaal

Grant

Honorary Master
The Commission for the Promotion and Protection of the Rights of Cultural, Religious and Linguistic Communities (CRL) Commission has been flooded with letters from Christian consumers complaining that most food and beverages in their supermarkets are certified halaal, with some saying they don’t want to eat or drink anything “sacrificed to idols”.

Complaints received by the CRL against supermarkets and Muslim halaal-certification authorities show some Christians are furious about the prevalence of halaal-certified food in grocery stores and restaurants, claiming it violates their right to freedom of choice.

Documents City Press obtained show that some Christian consumers have laid complaints with the commission against supermarkets, including Pick n Pay, Shoprite, Checkers, Woolworths and Food Lovers Market, food manufacturers and restaurants, as well as the SA National Halaal Authority (Sanha), National Independent Halaal Trust (NIHT), Islamic Council of SA and the Muslim Judicial Council.

Christian consumers complain they are forced to buy halaal goods and are “manipulated” into funding Islam.
https://www.news24.com/SouthAfrica/News/christians-war-on-halaal-20180401-2

Last edited by a moderator:

daveza

Honorary Master
Customers who do not wish to buy food that has been certified for religious purposes can find alternatives in our stores.
That's a lie.

“The majority of our non-Muslim customers are not offended in any way by halaal certification.
Most customers have no objection to halaal or kosher certification symbols on the products they buy.”
And they know this how ?

airborne

Executive Member
Foodstuffs and restaurants in Sa definitely do seem to have a far greater Halaal/Kosher certifications than places like the US or Eu, why is that especially considering what a small part of the population these 2 groups are?

Zoomzoom

Expert Member
No I'm sorry I also object to being forced to eat Halaal and Kosher - although Kosher is less invasive. My basic objection is animal rights. I don't like how the animals are slaughtered and not subject to the same anti-cruelty laws (such as they are) as other meat.

As for non-meat items - why must they be certified? Why must pasta and cereal and whatever be certified? People are free to practice their religion but don't impose your faith on me when I don't follow it. I don't care what faith it is. If the purple potato worshipers wanted to force their purple potato beliefs on me I would object just as strongly.

Please have kosher and halaal products in stores - clearly marked - that is freedom of religion, but imposing restrictions on EVERYONE is not freedom -that is oppression.

You cannot buy a single product in this country that is not marked Halal and Parev - and I object to that. Freedom of religion does not give them the right to have their beliefs take precedence over every other person who do not share the same beliefs (or any beliefs). It isn't a religious debate of mine over yours, but that yours does NOT get to have everything their way.

It is impossible for anyone to actually choose NOT to buy halaal or parev - every last item in stores is certified. Bread, butter, cereal, jam, chips, pasta, flour, sugar ... everything. And that isn't right.

They have the right to have their own products - but I equally have the right NOT to buy those products and MY choice has been taken away but a very small minority who everyone ****s in their pants to avoid offending. Just leave MY food alone.

And if the manufacturers are doing it because it is easier to certify the whole product line than do separate products - tough **** - NOT my problem if you follow a minority religion that makes it **** hard to buy food.

It IS however YOUR problem if you impose your beliefs on people who have nothing whatsoever to do with your faith.

Last edited:

Randhir

Honorary Master
No I'm sorry I also object to being forced to eat Halaal and Kosher - although Kosher is less invasive. My basic objection is animal rights. I don't like how the animals are slaughtered and not subject to the same anti-cruelty laws (such as they are) as other meat.
You're not wrong in this but you're delusional if you think all animals that aren't for halaal slaughter are treated well.

If you actually want to make a statement, cut out all meat you haven't seen farmed/slaughtered yourself.

nightjar

Expert Member
People can believe whatever they want to believe but I object to being forced to support those beliefs and I refuse to buy Halal products.

Animal slaughter is a cruel business at best but there is no need for the added level of cruelty.

Zoomzoom

Expert Member
You're not wrong in this but you're delusional if you think all animals that aren't for halaal slaughter are treated well.

If you actually want to make a statement, cut out all meat you haven't seen farmed/slaughtered yourself.
I am not deluded about the cruelty that can happen, nor I am unaware of just how much more needs to be done in stopping it, but at very least the process tries (even if it fails sometimes) to avoid cruelty. Animals are stunned before being killed etc. But with both Halaal and Kosher the animals absolutely may NOT be stunned and MUST bleed to death. This is just degrees worse. AND there is no oversight because 'religion'.

People can believe whatever they want to believe but I object to being forced to support those beliefs and I refuse to buy Halal products.

Animal slaughter is a cruel business at best but there is no need for the added level of cruelty.
Exactly.

Randhir

Honorary Master
I am not deluded about the cruelty that can happen, nor I am unaware of just how much more needs to be done in stopping it, but at very least the process tries (even if it fails sometimes) to avoid cruelty. Animals are stunned before being killed etc. But with both Halaal and Kosher the animals absolutely may NOT be stunned and MUST bleed to death. This is just degrees worse. AND there is no oversight because 'religion'.
Seems some are ok with some degree of cruelty, but once Islam gets dragged into it, then it's a step too far.

There should be a massive reform on all levels with serious oversight and enormous penalties for those that breach them, but that won't happen because people are happy to buy meat from animals that are mistreated for most of their lives. Until you add in "halaal" of course, then there's an issue.

Not that that shouldn't be banned outright as well.

Last edited:

Grant

Honorary Master
A Pick n Pay spokesperson said that halaal “certification costs are negligible and there is no charge passed on to our customers.
assuming this is true, then it would be easy and simple enough to produce both halal & non halal goods.

assuming a manufacturer produces 1000 bottles of sauce and 3% of the population requires the sauce to be certified, then the certifying authority can go in and certify those 30 boxes, place the require certification sticker on each box, and the associated cost be added to the 30 boxes - after all, these costs are negligible.

or could it be the "costs are negligible" because 97 people are subsidising the costs to satisfy the requirements of 3

or maybe this is why pick 'n pay say halal costs are negligible :
chops.jpg