Christianity - an in-depth discourse

surface

Expert Member
It is a parable told by Jesus. Looks like it's about how God will judge the world at the end. It's certainly not a command to kill.
I see. Do you knowwhat is the point of that parable? And what above thousands of loving instructions as below - what humanitarian lessons did you learn from these verses?

“Leviticus 21:9 “And the daughter of any priest, if she profane herself by playing the whore, she profaneth her father: she shall be burnt with fire.”

“Go and attack Amalek, and utterly destroy all that they have; do not spare them, but kill both man and woman, child and infant, ox and sheep, camel and donkey. (1 Samuel 15:3)”

“Leviticus 20:13 “If a man lies with a male as with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination; they shall be put to death; their blood is upon them.””

“Leviticus 25:44–46 “As for your male and female slaves whom you may have: you may buy male and female slaves from among the nations that are round about you. You may also buy from among the strangers [NRSV: “aliens”] who sojourn with you and their families that are with you, who have been born in your land; and they may be your property.””

Ponderer

Expert Member
I see. Do you knowwhat is the point of that parable? And what above thousands of loving instructions as below - what humanitarian lessons did you learn from these verses?

“Leviticus 21:9 “And the daughter of any priest, if she profane herself by playing the whore, she profaneth her father: she shall be burnt with fire.”

“Go and attack Amalek, and utterly destroy all that they have; do not spare them, but kill both man and woman, child and infant, ox and sheep, camel and donkey. (1 Samuel 15:3)”

“Leviticus 20:13 “If a man lies with a male as with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination; they shall be put to death; their blood is upon them.””

“Leviticus 25:44–46 “As for your male and female slaves whom you may have: you may buy male and female slaves from among the nations that are round about you. You may also buy from among the strangers [NRSV: “aliens”] who sojourn with you and their families that are with you, who have been born in your land; and they may be your property.””
The problem is that you have a problem with authority.
Authority is authority - GOD is GOD - GOD is authority.

Spizz

Goat Botherer
Really? So why don’t you live by his laws?

Explain to me why you disobey God and wear mixed fabrics?

rietrot

Honorary Master

I suggest you consult Biblehub.com they list all the different translations, so that you can compare all the "changes" that have been made. They give definitions of the original Greek and Hebrew and a few commentaries on every single verse.

People have really studied the Bible word for word. There really isn't any surprises left.

Spizz

Goat Botherer
I suggest you consult Biblehub.com they list all the different translations, so that you can compare all the "changes" that have been made. They give definitions of the original Greek and Hebrew and a few commentaries on every single verse.

People have really studied the Bible word for word. There really isn't any surprises left.
It’s nothing more than a justification of outdated and irrelevant rules that don’t apply to modern life.

I mean, don’t you find it a bit weird that the infallible word of God needs to be interpreted? And why doesn’t God just come and explain a bit. Update His old version and stop all the squabbles?

But hey, isn’t it funny how all the ones that apply to other people, such as homosexuality, are applied, yet others such as slaves need to be put in context?

Park@82

Honorary Master
And what above thousands of loving instructions as below - what humanitarian lessons did you learn from these verses?

I don't claim to be an expert. And I do plan to look into those and more.

We have a sense that these things are wrong.
We have two options as I see it. You either got your morality form a higher being, and you then use it to judge the higher being.

Or you use morality that you got out of a random process where material became sentient in a struggle for survival.

If you got your morality form the second option, what makes you trust your sense of right and wrong? If there is only material, why is it wrong to kill other material?

Last edited:

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
But you don't follow all of his laws... and no, not the ones that need interpretation, I'm talking about the ones that are clear as day. You don't follow them. So you also have a problem with authority then and are going to go to hell regardless of how good a Christian you think you are.

rietrot

Honorary Master
It’s nothing more than a justification of outdated and irrelevant rules that don’t apply to modern life.

I mean, don’t you find it a bit weird that the infallible word of God needs to be interpreted? And why doesn’t God just come and explain a bit. Update His old version and stop all the squabbles?

But hey, isn’t it funny how all the ones that apply to other people, such as homosexuality, are applied, yet others such as slaves need to be put in context?
It doesn't need to be "interpreted". There's nothing wrong with a plain reading of the bible.

And God did come down and explain a bit multiple times.

Most squabbles that exist today are on irrelevant cultural aspects.