Chromium Edge to become default Windows 10 browser in 2020 - Report

Jamie McKane

MyBroadband Journalist
Super Moderator
Chromium Edge to become default Windows 10 browser in 2020 - Report

Microsoft's upcoming Chromium-based Edge browser could become the default Internet browser for Windows 10 next year, according to code revealed in the latest version of the operating system's preview build.

Software engineer Rafael Rivera discovered a line of code in the latest preview build of Windows 10 which points to Chromium Edge becoming the new default browser, replacing the older Microsoft Edge browser in Windows 10.

konfab

Honorary Master
They are going to make a lot of web-devs very happy. The old version never quite kept up to the standards defined by Chrome and Firefox.

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
It would be nonsensical for MS not to do that. It's already excellent and I'm using it as my primary browser. They just need to bring the clean edgy aesthetic across from regular Edge and add the silky smooth scrolling. After that I think I'm sorted.

They are going to make a lot of web-devs very happy. The old version never quite kept up to the standards defined by Chrome and Firefox.
Definitely. I'm going to be so glad to see the back of current Edge. So many things it can't render properly. Everything just works in Firefox and Chrome. I hope IE also gets a huge popup telling users that it is not a web browser but a compatibility tool, and to please leave and use a modern browser.

Now for iOS Safari to get up to speed and stop causing issues for developers. The lack of push notification support is a real problem for in-house teams and creates pressure to build standalone apps.