Churchill Estate FTTH - Vumatel

KrazyKid

So recently Vumatel announced that they will be rolling out FTTH to our area in Churchill Estate, Parow, Cape Town

Spoilt for choice when it comes to ISP's and speeds I spent some time looking, analyzing and deciding.
I would like to document my experience that I have so far with the process.

Unfortunately missed the Vumatel Townhall meeting that I would have liked to attend, work commitments.
I am also very familiar with the Fibre/ISP doing's in South Africa.

So, I finally decided to Pre-Order my fiber in Vumatel and go with Supersonic 20/20 uncapped.

Well! Well! it is VERY slow of the starting blocks. After the order the complete, got an email:
Congratulations on signing up for super-fast Internet! We are currently processing your application.

A week later, no emails or feedback. Estimated time for rollout, etc. Not even a call to confirm my order.

I decided to send Supersonic a message on Whatsapp support:
"I am getting the impression that I am just another number in the sea of Yello!
The first impressions of signing up and response from Supersonic is not FAST at all. it feels like 9600kbps, damn slow!
There are plenty of ISP's to choose from and giving the customer 1st class experience is one thing ... Oh is that not why you ISP of the year 2019. Maybe I should move to another color, Green, Red, Blue, Orange, Hmm!"
So now a wait for a reply! (not holding my breath)

• Wow
Reactions: Yuu

RyanDG

any update on this? I live in the same area, ordered from them too.

KrazyKid

It has gone Live! --- 4th November 2019 --- certain area's

My original application through Vumatel website allocated me the wrong address, in fact they actually missed my house on the planning rollout.
I managed to speak to the Project Co-ordinator at Vumatel who arranged for the contractor to add a termination point for me.

So yesterday, 4th November the first half of the project went LIVE!

Sunday I re-ordered my fiber line on Vumatel's web site and in the course of the day Supersonic tried to contact me telephonically. By the time I Whatsapp'ed them, sales had left the office.

They then call today (Tuesday 5th) at 08h19, confirmed the order (new correct address) to confirm the application. By 08h45 Vumatel has phoned to set up an installation appointment; "Can we do it tomorrow" (Telkom note how quick this is!). I did, however, prefer to have the install done next week, which is confirmed.

Awaiting the install to be completed.

RyanDG

yeah they called me today too, I only need it installed at the beginning of next month. Do you have any finer details on the installation? I got the email which I had to confirm T&Cs but it stated we should be paying for installation to Vumatel, whereas I thought that was included for Supersonic (awaiting Whatsapp response from them). In addition, read in Supersonic T&Cs only 8m of installation is included, its R160 per metre thereafter. In the call with installers now they said it would cost R100 per metre to reinstate paving within the property too.

dj_jyno

Expert Member
I must say that I'm pleasantly surprised at how quick they are. Sent Afrihost our Vumatel VT number on Saturday, and less than an hour later Vumatel phoned us to arrange installation on Monday.

dj_jyno

Expert Member
...and we're live. Repurposed our MikroTiK wireless access point as a router.