City Bridge won't give back Deposit

epah

Expert Member
Good day guys.

I need help getting my deposit back From City bridge properties. These people own The Collosseum apartments in Johannesburg, Val Du Charron in the western cape and other businesses.

In January 2016 I rented an apartment at the Collosseum and because I wasn't working at the time my parents signed the lease for me and also gave me money to pay first months rent and deposit whilst I looked for a job, I got a job in February and started paying my own rent, the debit order for the rent came from my own cheque account every month my parents were only on the lease and that's it. But I lived there alone and paid for everything else.

My lease ended on the 31st of January so it was 13 months long instead of the usual 12 because the landlord had adviced me of moving on at the end of January instead of end of December since it's usually to busy in December, I actually liked this since I was even in joburg during December so it worked it my favor.

Anyways on the 31st of January I moved out of the apartment handed the keys back to the landlord and moved into my new place, I opened the lease that my parents had signed to see when I would be getting my deposit back and it said within 7 days my deposit would be back in my account but if any deductions had to be made on my deposit then the money would be refunded within 14 days.

On the 16th of February my money was still not back in my account to I called City Bridge head office which is based in Cape Town to Enquire about my deposit, I was told that I should have signed a deposit release form when I moved out, (the landlord never told me about this) so the head office emailed me the form showing how much has been deducted from my deposit which included R300 for painting, R200 for the outgoing inspection fee, R450 cleaning fee even though the apartment was thoroughly cleaned by me. The form
Also showed how much I would be getting back from my deposit, So I signed the form so I could get back whatever was left of my deposit and emailed it back on the 16th of February.

I have been calling since then to ask about my deposit and no one can give me answers as to why I still don't have it, they always say they will go find out and get back to me but no one ever does. Today I called again to speak to the owner of this company and he is supposedly off sick and they don't know when he will be back.

So what can I do to get my money back cost effectively because I am tired of the run around.

Also the owner of this Corporation is S.G Entwistle.

cr@zydude

Honorary Master
Some rental agents are arseholes and will do anything to hold onto your deposit. My last contract ended 28 Feb and called for an exit inspection 2 weeks before I leave. If I didn't set up an inspection, the landlord and agent could do the inspection without me the week after I left.

I called the agent at the end of Jan to set up the mid Feb inspection. He kept on delaying, eventually saying that the inspection must be done after I leave. Only when I called above his head and quited directly from my contract did I get an inspection that I was involved in.

An inspection fee sounds like bull****. The agency has to do it, but is recovering the cost from you. Also remember that your deposit was required to be in a trust account, and they owe you the interest from it.

thehuman

Expert Member
Did you and owner had a inspection when you started and ended your lease?

MightyQuin

Not amused...
This is why I have never, ever paid the last month's rent. Finish and klaar. Deposits are always used to rip of the tenant.

epah

Expert Member
Did you and owner had a inspection when you started and ended your lease?

We never had an incoming inspection even though it clearly states in the contract that it had to be done. However I did take
Pictures the day I moved in. We did however have an outgoing inspection and she thought the only thing that was needed was fresh paint and that was it. I also took pictures when I moved out

epah

Expert Member
I woke up to an EFT of the the return of the deposit this morning. So they clearly wanted me to threaten them before they could return my deposit. Thank you for your input guys.

R13...

Honorary Master
This is why I have never, ever paid the last month's rent. Finish and klaar. Deposits are always used to rip of the tenant.
A tenant tried this trick with me but soon paid up when the sherif of the court turned up. In the end it cost him more than that last month's rent as I charged him for the legal action and repairs so he ended up paying 2.5x that last month.

Kosmik

Honorary Master
We never had an incoming inspection even though it clearly states in the contract that it had to be done. However I did take
Pictures the day I moved in. We did however have an outgoing inspection and she thought the only thing that was needed was fresh paint and that was it. I also took pictures when I moved out

Why is paint the tenants problem? Sure if you marked or damage the walls but fresh implies to faded/got old?

Hemi300c

Honorary Master
If they never did a sign off inspection with you present they are legally liable to refund the whole deposit and it must be done before you vacate the premises.

thehuman

Expert Member
If they never did a sign off inspection with you present they are legally liable to refund the whole deposit and it must be done before you vacate the premises.
have some fun . claim back expenses .

epah

Expert Member
Why is paint the tenants problem? Sure if you marked or damage the walls but fresh implies to faded/got old?

The paint wasn't fading or anything, it is white paint but without the gloss, so it's sort of matte so it stains quickly, everytime you touch a wall with any stains on your hands there will be a mark left on the wall, the only way to keep the walls clean is by not touching them at all. Which is impossible. The charge for
That was only R300 which I don't mind paying. Also I don't want to fight them regarding some other ridiculous charges they put on. All I wanted was my deposit and I want nothing else to do with that company. I don't want to deal with them anymore.