City of Cape Town wants e-toll report

TJ99

Honorary Master
We're still seeking access to the report on the one they sneakily built in Gauteng.

BeVonk!

Executive Member
A key Act is not brought into this debate and I cannot understand why not. The National Land Transport Act of 2009 spells out the responsibilities and ALL land transport decisions have been delegated to the City within City boundaries. According to the Act SANRAL cannot do as they see fit inside municipal boundaries even when a road belongs to them. Tolling involves Intelligent Transport Systems (ITS) and the Act clearly states that ALL ITS within the City boundaries are to be managed by the City.

Outside of the City boundaries it is a fight between SANRAL and the Provincial Government.

Why is the City not calling upon this Act and state that Tolling uses ITS and the City do not approve the implementation of tolling technologies within its borders. End of story. Joburg and Tshwane should do the same.

The Act is clear.

j4ck455

Executive Member
The National Land Transport Act of 2009
Has anyone else ever heard of this act and did it definitely get enacted (not just a bill that was rejected)?

I don't doubt your post, but there has to be a reason that it has not been used by OUTA before now to squash SANRAL's etrolling dreams.

Species8472

Loxton said Sanral was not being deceitful as to cost breakdowns of the project.

It was simply “impossible to know” at this stage, he said.
Please tell me I understood this wrong. They plan to toll the roads but say it is "impossible to know" what the project will actually cost?!?!?!

Oh. My. Word. :wtf:

HavocXphere

Honorary Master
Please tell me I understood this wrong. They plan to toll the roads but say it is "impossible to know" what the project will actually cost?!?!?!

Oh. My. Word. :wtf:
Take initial estimated amount. Add a zero. Triple it. The zero you need for general incompetence & waste. The tripling is because Mercs are fckin expensive. Big projects means lots of Merc need buying.

Of course you can't say that to the media, so its better to stick to "impossible to know". Plus its easier to sneak a couple of billion onto the taxpayer bill if you keep things vague.

BeVonk!

Executive Member
Has anyone else ever heard of this act and did it definitely get enacted (not just a bill that was rejected)?

I don't doubt your post, but there has to be a reason that it has not been used by OUTA before now to squash SANRAL's etrolling dreams.
The Act is very real. But people outside the Transport Management sphere do not know of its existence. The City of Cape Town formed a new entity called "Transport for Cape Town" (TCT) that will oversee ALL land transport matters, incl Rail, in the City boundaries to meet the requirements of the NLTA (Act). Those driving this legal process, mostly politicians, may not be so clued up about this, bit I did inform Brett Herron, Mayco Member for Transport, at the City about this last night. OUTA, and others should look into this. The Act spells out who can do what within municipal boundaries, and SANRAL has no more authority to MANAGE OPERATIONS of traffic/transport on roads within municipal boundaries, even when a road belongs to them. The must maintain that road if it is theirs but all operation on top of it can only be done by the City, unless the City in writing gives SANRAL authority to do so (delicate powers).

BeVonk!

Executive Member
In Gauteng the different Local Authorities - if they were against tolling (despite being ANC governed) - could call on the NLTA to demand the removal of all tolling equipment from the freeways in their respective areas.

SANRAL has a mandate to build and maintain roads. That is it.

The reasonthe RTMC failed was because they didn't have the expertise to wrestle Transport Management on National Roads from SANRAL's grip. SANRAL was there first and dug themselves in. By the time the RTMC came about it had to break down the fortifications first ... which they didn't have the skills/knowledge/manpower to do.

Owning infrastructure like roads and rail is not the same as operating what runs on that infrastructure. This is what the NLTA spells out. This is why the City of Cape Town is now (through the TCT entity it created) responsible for rail policy and operations inside the City boundaries. They will now tell Metrorail how to operate its service in Cape Town. The rail infrastructure remains the property of PRASA, but the City makes and enforces policies. The same goes for freeways ... but few - even inside the various Cities - knows this. When they do know they don't have skilled people to do something about it so they just close their eyes and smile and waive.

The City of Cape Town is far more vigilant in this regard. But in this case those fighting SANRAL are not the experts on things like the NLTA. But I have been promised that they will now investigate this angle.

I'm not a legal expert. There may be other acts/laws that states/interprets things differently. It is for legal experts to dissect this. I am just surprised that I have never ever heard the NLTA mentioned in any of the tolling deliberations. It's as if nobody knows about it. SANRAL knows. I know that. But they will keep quiet because they are dealing with oppositions that are not into transport/traffic management but focusses on social and economic issues (stuff politicians understand).