City of Tshwane buys coal that does not ignite

konfab

Honorary Master
These people shouldn't be running a braai, let alone a power station.

Stokstert

Executive Member
Viva ANC Viva ordering coal that would not burn, it might be coal that is only one phase away from being diamonds, which is a metastable allotrope of carbon.

Seriously

Honorary Master
ABSOLUTE BS!

The CV's of the coal must be known and guaranteed at the time of the order. These idiots probably decided to order "suspect" coal at a cheaper price form their ANC connected..Gupta's?

Skerminkel

Expert Member
So samples were delivered for testing and they failed? I don't see why this a big story. That is why they bought samples to begin with. I am actually surprised that the ancient station can still run. They barely started with studies to determine whether it is even feasible to re-commission the thing.

Seriously

Honorary Master
So samples were delivered for testing and they failed? I don't see why this a big story. That is why they bought samples to begin with. I am actually surprised that the ancient station can still run. They barely started with studies to determine whether it is even feasible to re-commission the thing.
Samples can be tested in the lab(If the test equipment was not stolen). They deliver them in sacks. How cum tonnes ie trucks full were delivered before the tests and required guarantees? Incompetence all round once again.

Skerminkel

Expert Member
Samples can be tested in the lab(If the test equipment was not stolen). They deliver them in sacks. How cum tonnes ie trucks full were delivered before the tests and required guarantees? Incompetence all round once again.
I am not saying all is kosher, but you do not test a power plant with bags of coal. The story clearly stated that they wanted to test run the plant. That's like testing a car engine with tot measures of fuel.

Pythonista

Coal that doesn't burn. That's like having a governing party that can't govern ...

Seriously

Honorary Master
I am not saying all is kosher, but you do not test a power plant with bags of coal. The story clearly stated that they wanted to test run the plant. That's like testing a car engine with tot measures of fuel.
You do not test a plant with substandard coal as the damage can be horrendous. It's pure stupidity as the designers of the plant would have specified the minimum CV requirements already and that is easily determined in the lab! ;)

To come back to your analogy. You do not test your car with diesel, water or airplane fuel as than can cause major damage. You follow the guidelines!

Wasabee!

Expert Member
The ANC heard that they mustn't get burnt with the next elections, so they listened.

Wee musn get bent!

rwenzori

Honorary Master
"tons of coal has been shelved and new ones ordered"

It seems sub-editors are in short supply at News24.