City Power paid R3,450 for a small bottle of sanitiser which costs R30

Hanno Labuschagne

Journalist
Staff member
City Power paid R3,450 for a small bottle of sanitiser which costs R30

A new report revealed City Power paid R158,700 for 46 small bottles of sanitiser, which works out to R3,450 per bottle. The same product can be purchased at Clicks for R29.99 each.

This information was contained in a report which showed how much City Power spent on personal protective equipment (PPE) as part of an emergency procurement process.

In an emergency procurement process normal tender processes do not have to be followed which increases the chances of corruption.

Lupus

Honorary Master
Did they actually pay? I know people invoice the government high like this to actually compensate for them when they don't pay.

R13...

Honorary Master
Did they actually pay? I know people invoice the government high like this to actually compensate for them when they don't pay.
This is plain old corruption and given that people who authorise payments are involved then yes, it has been paid, spent and some hidden against attempts at recovery.

TheChamp

Honorary Master
Did Rapport not bother to ask City Power what do they have to say about this?

gregmcc

Honorary Master
Whoever got the tender is slacking. Back to how to steal 101 for you.

upup

Executive Member
Did Rapport not bother to ask City Power what do they have to say about this?
Some time ago, I inquire about a case over the telephone at a police station, and it seems like the guilty should be a police men. The cop told me they arrested the guilty one. I was happy with that. My dad ask me to phone back and ask for the fact's, who is in jail, and case number. Then they suddenly no comment. City power will come with, we will investigate and the guilty will be bla bla bla.

TheChamp

Honorary Master
Some time ago, I inquire about a case over the telephone at a police station, and it seems like the guilty should be a police men. The cop told me they arrested the guilty one. I was happy with that. My dad ask me to phone back and ask for the fact's, who is in jail, and case number. Then they suddenly no comment. City power will come with, we will investigate and the guilty will be bla bla bla.
It is the first step in holding people accountable and its what we expect from journalists, being preemptive about what they will say isn't important.

RVQ

Expert Member
It is the first step in holding people accountable and its what we expect from journalists, being preemptive about what they will say isn't important.
It's the responsibility of the state not journalists or everyday South Africans but we all know who runs the state so this will never see the light of any investigation at best some commission at further bloated costs will be setup and result in little to no criminal prosecution, certainly helps having An Uncle in the ANC business

TheChamp

Honorary Master
It's the responsibility of the state not journalists or everyday South Africans but we all know who runs the state so this will never see the light of any investigation at best some commission at further bloated costs will be setup and result in little to no criminal prosecution, certainly helps having An Uncle in the ANC business
Tell me what was the point of this article from Rapport.