City Power planning to turn off your geyser

ProfA

Honorary Master
This is why I have my own geyser timer which replaced the crap the municipality put installed. I pay for my electricity use. Therefore I will have hot water when I want it. :D

DrJohnZoidberg

Honorary Master
My old apartment had this, it is super annoying especially when you wake up and find you have no hot water.

NiTeD

Expert Member
This is why I have my own geyser timer which replaced the crap the municipality put installed. I pay for my electricity use. Therefore I will have hot water when I want it. :D
No you won't!

Nerfherder

Honorary Master

There is a massive fine for tampering with those things.

Good luck to you.

I'd much rather have geryser shedding than load shedding.

Skerminkel

Expert Member
My old apartment had this, it is super annoying especially when you wake up and find you have no hot water.

Really, if your geyser is well insulated it should remain quite warm if switched off for an hour or two over peak periods.

Nether

Expert Member
Really, if your geyser is well insulated it should remain quite warm if switched off for an hour or two over peak periods.

Your right, but it lasts even longer, mine is a good part of a day and night into the next morning, it depends if it needs to refill with cold water.

DrJohnZoidberg

Honorary Master

When you're renting in an apartment block there is not really much you can do about it. I woke up plenty of mornings without hot water due to the geyser being remotely switched off.

ProfA

Honorary Master

Good luck to you.

Yip. I am actually quite scared of this seeing as the monkeypality is so well run and on top of things. :D

Magnum

Expert Member

Good luck to you.

Nerf, They need warrant to enter my property. So fusk them. I am a paying citizen. I demand good quality service.

Their usage scedule is not in line with my usage!

Nerfherder

Honorary Master
When you're renting in an apartment block there is not really much you can do about it. I woke up plenty of mornings without hot water due to the geyser being remotely switched off.

I never had this issue... but the ripple relays do take a toll on the thermometers.

I think the problem is they will just the system to mask the shortage. They will turn off over peak... then around peak... then leading up to peak... until its all the time.

Nerfherder

Honorary Master
Nerf, They need warrant to enter my property. So fusk them. I am a paying citizen. I demand good quality service.

This is true. I remember they would shut the geyers off at 7, that's just after the shower was over and the geyser had just refilled and heated up. A complete waste.

Though you can demand good quality service but what good will that do when we are all sitting in darkness.

atomcrusher

Expert Member
In the three homes I lived in at different times in Joburg, all three Distribution boards had a Municipality-installed ripple-relay installed. The local authority just sends a signal / frequency down the power lines to activate to ripple ralay to disconnect the geyser. The system has been active for many years. It's quite easy (but illegal) to bypass it.

Easter Bunny

Expert Member
our geyser is set at 70+ degrees. i've tried turning it down, but the thermostat seems faulty. mentioned it to the plumber when i saw him in our building's lift, but i don't think he cared much. oh well, no cold water for us, despite that annoying timer durban municipality put in.

RichardG

Honorary Master
This has been happening for years now.

If you have a smart-meter they can automatically switch off your electricity without switching the mains at the grid!

Nothing new has been happening for years as Drifter mentioned.

jax_maxit

City Power installed one of those systems at my house a few years ago. They said I would never need to manually switch my geyser on or off ever, as it would automatically do that for me. So I left it on until one afternoon I noticed my water was incredibly hot. I don't need hot water at any time other than first thing in the morning. So I've been manually turning the main geyser switch on/off myself ever since. They have never remotely switched it off for me.
I won't mind if they start doing this - so long as I have electricity to boil water in a kettle or pot. I learned from many camping trips in my youth how to survive in such conditions. Besides, an adult human being can adapt to bathing in cold water.

krycor

Honorary Master
I control my own geyser.. Mind ye my geyser goes on at 0345 to 0500 +\- in summer and my water is always hot in summer with that schedule.. Then again I do live on own so..

Skerminkel

Expert Member

Something doesn't sound right. There is no reason they would switch it off over night. 6:00 at the earliest.

Surely you are trolling?