City takes no-nonsense approach to Sea Point residents’ rates boycott

MightyQuin

Honorary Master
I dont think they are only unhappy about the rates increase

Well they say that they do not want to pay higher rates, before the vagrant and crime issues are not resolved.

Now I wonder...what will they say if CoCT say, OK...keep the lower rates and then we will do fukkall about the issues?

The beggars, vagrants and accompanying crime, is a huge socioeconomic issue that will not go away.

But to try and make it go away will cost a lot of money and for that you need higher rates.

So I say it again...if you want to live in utopia, expect to pay more for that privilege.

vigras rojara

Expert Member
The Atlantic Seaboard and City Bowl are turning into slums.
Vagrants loitering all over.
Shacks popping up in residential areas.
Stabbing, muggings, thefts from vehicles all on a steep rise.
Urban decay and no maintenance of public infrastructure.

The City recently jacked up rates, despite homes lowering in price between 30-40% in last two quarters.

Why????

Because just 18% of the erfs pay rates which subsidize 78% of the erfs and townships that don't.
The geese that lay the golden rates eggs have had enough of carrying the can and getting jack in return.

They have legitimate grievances.
I'd be interested in seeing proof of property values decreasing by 30 - 40 percent in the last two quarters.

Nanfeishen

Executive Member
This is happening all over Cape Town and the city is doing absolutely nothing about it but as soon as they need money...

^^ This

This sort of thing is going to grow amongst the City suburbs, those residents are not alone in their feelings about the COCT management, price hikes on services and rate hikes thumbsucked out of over inflated property prices.

MightyQuin

Honorary Master

The City recently jacked up rates, despite homes lowering in price between 30-40% in last two quarters.

Why????

Because just 18% of the erfs pay rates which subsidize 78% of the erfs and townships that don't.
The geese that lay the golden rates eggs have had enough of carrying the can and getting jack in return.

These are the same SJW snowflakes that whine and gnash their teeth when the CocT want to lockup or fine vagrants.

Then there are light years worth of virtue signalling "and these people need food, accommodation and help...they're not animals to be treated this way" etc etc

Rates go up and suddenly these issues are used as leverage.

ALL Cities world wide is showing this kind of decay and increase in homeless people. To solve this issue is nearly impossible without violating human rights.

I'm glad I live in the Northern Suburbs...I see 3 bergies a week and that is on Monday mornings when I put my bin out. No one knocks on my front door to beg either....

mak2000

Expert Member

Why????

The answer is should be to vote for a different party, if you unhappy with the City Administration.

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
I'm glad I live in the Northern Suburbs...I see 3 bergies a week and that is on Monday mornings when I put my bin out. No one knocks on my front door to beg either....

Then you live in a happy place.

Sometimes during school hours I will get beggars at my door with their children. How do you turn them away? It has also happened at night. I had a lady the other day with 5 children one of which was a baby.

Some of these beggars do prey on my feels.

MightyQuin

Honorary Master
Then you live in a happy place.

Sometimes during school hours I will get beggars at my door with their children. How do you turn them away? It has also happened at night. I had a lady the other day with 5 children one of which was a baby.

Some of these beggars do prey on my feels.
I just ignore the 3 or 4 a year that make it to my front door. They knock for a while and then go to the next house.

Charity begins at home...

surface

Honorary Master
The answer is should be to vote for a different party, if you unhappy with the City Administration.
There is really no need for such extreme measures. We have purged all the refugees from the party and we are slowly going to fix all this mess caused by EC immigrants. Also, cessation plan is in the works. The best is yet to come.

MightyQuin

Honorary Master
So in future please don't complain about how your taxes are wasted because clearly you don't have the brain power to look beyond your own sorry existence!

I am quite fine thank you...no sorry existence here.

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
↑ correlation, meet causation ↓

stray cats don't stick around when they never get fed, easiest solution: just flat out ignore the doorbell / knocks on the door

They hang in front of my house, and they know I have dogs. My dogs bark, and they will continue to bark until said vagrants or beggars move on. They know this.

I get various couriers at my home a day. When they pitch up they use this opportunity at making them known in my presence.

As I already said, ignore them and they vandalise. Not everyone vandalises, but some do vandalise. Isn't only my place, my neighbour next door made a big fuss about this.

I had a guy 2 months ago which slashed one of my dogs just below her ear. He did this through my gate. I saw this happen, and I couldn't do anything but treat my dog before taking any action. I haven't seen this particular individual since. What normal person does this?

Hansolo

Oi vey. But yeah aggressive hobo's are a huge problem. Ct will be like San Fran soon. Seeing tent cities pop up everywhere. Stepped in human doo doo, shoes smellt so bad even after 3 washes. Had to throw them away. ☹️

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
Sorry...I did not see that post before I responded.

I agree that I am very lucky not to have to deal with that kind of skak here were I live...

Those working here at the residences also openly complains about this.

Today was calm, but yesterday we had a lot of traffic of people going nowhere slowly. It isn't every day, but the frequently thereof is impactful on our daily lives. I work from home, so I am exposed to this during working hours.

You are absolutely right, charity does indeed start at home.

yebocan

Honorary Master
Atlantic Seaboard....can't possibly be -- last time I checked, the area was so blue deep in the DA pocket and vice versa ... - something is up -

NarrowBandFtw

Honorary Master
alright you have a legit problem on your hands here

They hang in front of my house, and they know I have dogs. My dogs bark, and they will continue to bark until said vagrants or beggars move on. They know this.
the barking isn't exactly pleasant for them either, perhaps invest in noise cancelling headphones and see who lasts longer?

I get various couriers at my home a day. When they pitch up they use this opportunity at making them known in my presence.
tough one that

I had a guy 2 months ago which slashed one of my dogs just below her ear. He did this through my gate. I saw this happen, and I couldn't do anything but treat my dog before taking any action. I haven't seen this particular individual since. What normal person does this?
:mad: shoot to kill!

how about installing a more solid / one piece gate without gaps?

good luck though, in my case they can't get to my dog, the property outside my boundary wall has almost nothing that can be vandalised, they can't even get to my front door and my doorbell doesn't work (intentionally so), rarely receive deliveries as well ... so not a huge problem this side