City takes no-nonsense approach to Sea Point residents’ rates boycott

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
how about installing a more solid / one piece gate without gaps?

good luck though, in my case they can't get to my dog, the property outside my boundary wall has almost nothing that can be vandalised, they can't even get to my front door and my doorbell doesn't work (intentionally so), rarely receive deliveries as well ... so not a huge problem this side

I have two gates, one on the road, and the other in the inner where my dogs are behind. On this particular occassion the front gate was open, I usually leave it open for couriers.

Strictly speaking the person walked into my property up to the second gate, but it happened quickly. I was outside at the time and it was a rather random incident.

Moto Guzzi

Expert Member
the first thing DA did when they won the power in JHB was "increase the rate and taxes for double".

you may think DA is a better party but unfortunately, they are even worse than anc to some degree

Will never vote for them...ever....Theres spooks(DA) with VAT(ANC) on my municipal DA account.

CommonSense

stray cats don't stick around when they never get fed, easiest solution: just flat out ignore the doorbell / knocks on the door
[/QUO TE]

For what it's worth. Abandoned cats (which can be classified as Stray by the new house owner) does stick around, whether they are fed or not. They have no-where else they can go.

These are not wild animals, they depend on humans.

I have seen a particularly heartbreaking case in my neighborhood where the new owners had this attitude and the poor animal when eventually rescued from the situation had to be put down as he was in such a poor state.

Bottom line: Ignoring a "problem" does not make it go away.

noxibox

Honorary Master
Jacobson, isn't this the same guy that put someone personal details on SM and then that okes car got petrol bombed? Despicable person.
Indeed the same guy.

The real problem:
The thing is the city management's hands are tied. There is only so much they can do. When they do take steps they get vilified by some other segment of the population. Or they get taken to court and lose.

supersunbird

Honorary Master
Indeed the same guy.

The thing is the city management's hands are tied. There is only so much they can do. When they do take steps they get vilified by some other segment of the population. Or they get taken to court and lose.

Does that other segment pay them as much or more than this segment? If not they should keep the ones who pay them happy and deal with the issue in a legally compliant way that the courts can't fault.

Currantly

Expert Member
Jacobson, isn't this the same guy that put someone personal details on SM and then that okes car got petrol bombed? Despicable person.

I'm not condoning that incident, but it didn't 'come outa nowhere'; there was a certain group of people intent on turning the area into one giant feeding/housing scheme for the vagrants in the area, which was in turn attracting more vagrants to the area, which was resulting in more anti-social behaviour in the area. Okay, I said 'in the area' too much...

Cr4ig

Honorary Master
I'm not condoning that incident, but it didn't 'come outa nowhere'; there was a certain group of people intent on turning the area into one giant feeding/housing scheme for the vagrants in the area, which was in turn attracting more vagrants to the area, which was resulting in more anti-social behaviour in the area. Okay, I said 'in the area' too much...

And the solution is to petrol bomb the person you disagree with?

rietrot

Honorary Master
Owns some of the most valuable real estate in the world.....pisses and moans about rates.

Fukkem...
That's why they moan about it. Because rates gets calculated according to value and what do they get extra?

Last edited:

WAslayer

Executive Member
That's why they moan about it. Because rayes gets calculated according to value and what do they get extra?
Why should they get anything EXTRA..?? They made a conscious choice to buy property in that area, knowing full well that their rates and taxes will be what they are.

rietrot

Honorary Master
Why should they get anything EXTRA..?? They made a conscious choice to buy property in that area, knowing full well that their rates and taxes will be what they are.
You should get what you pay for.

The very concept of rates is ridiculous but if they pay a lot they should get a lot.

Reactions: air