City takes no-nonsense approach to Sea Point residents’ rates boycott

WAslayer

Executive Member
You should get what you pay for.

The very concept of rates is ridiculous but if they pay a lot they should get a lot.
Yes, completely agree, they should get what they pay for.. but they shouldn't get extra, over and above any other rates payers.. do all rates payers not deserve to have clean, safe neighborhoods..? Or is that just good enough for the highest rates payers..

rietrot

Honorary Master
Yes, completely agree, they should get what they pay for.. but they shouldn't get extra, over and above any other rates payers.. do all rates payers not deserve to have clean, safe neighborhoods..? Or is that just good enough for the highest rates payers..
They pay more based on property values so they should get more.

Everyone deserves clean and safe neighborhoods.(That's a minimum standard) But it seem like people are now jealous of these more affluent areas finally standing up and demanding that from the city.

Reactions: air

Executive Member
Then you live in a happy place.

Sometimes during school hours I will get beggars at my door with their children. How do you turn them away? It has also happened at night. I had a lady the other day with 5 children one of which was a baby.

Some of these beggars do prey on my feels.

They are not their children. There was beggar around a local store near me and that's child has been a baby for 8 years now.

MightyQuin

Honorary Master
That's why they moan about it. Because rates gets calculated according to value and what do they get extra?
No one gets anything "extra"...must I moan because the guy in the R500k house pays less than me, but gets the same road etc?

Where will it end? It is a tax and the more you HAVE the more you pay....

rietrot

Honorary Master
No one gets anything "extra"...must I moan because the guy in the R500k house pays less than me, but gets the same road etc?

They just expect the services that they pay for. What's wrong with that. I don't understand your jealousy?

wingnut771

Honorary Master

What about the house that cost R200 000 15 years ago is now R2 000 000, same road, same dustbin, same toilet?

grok

Honorary Master
Some of these beggars do prey on my feels.

I used to be like you, but then I got bombarded by hordes of traffic light beggars/sellers etc. When my daughter almost got smashed and grabbed, ****er didn't break throught the protected film (technology 1: africa 0) so I thought ****it no more mr nice guy and ignore them like everyone else.

'Shields up! Go bother someone preferably somewhere else.

MightyQuin

Honorary Master
Ok, let's see what happens to the prices after EWC or the EFF take over.
Not sure what the point is of this comment? AmI wrong? Is stuff more expensive now than 15 years ago?

Jirre, why has this thread descended into the Twilight Zone...

wingnut771

Honorary Master
Not sure what the point is of this comment? AmI wrong? Is stuff more expensive now than 15 years ago?

Jirre, why has this thread descended into the Twilight Zone...
Yes there is inflation, but there are also other factors determining property value, like supply and demand, interest rates etc. Just because property in an area shoots up in price because of desired location or whatever shouldn't affect the rates on the same scale.

Screen Shot 2020-10-21 at 14.18.08.png

I added another 5 years for dramatic effect.

supersunbird

Honorary Master
What I would do if I was them, raise the grievance and give them a deadline with a warning "If serious steps are not taken by >date< to resolve the issues raised, we will bulk purchase solar panels and the installation of those on our residences and CoT will loose lots of electricity revenue."

access

Honorary Master

that should be covered by the bare minimum.

additional funds over and above what is required, which cab be afforded in certain areas, should be reinvested back into those areas.

you say they should get they pay for. they should not get what someone else pays for...

Last edited:

wingnut771

Honorary Master
What I would do if I was them, raise the grievance and give them a deadline with a warning "If serious steps are not taken by >date< to resolve the issues raised, we will bulk purchase solar panels and the installation of those on our residences and CoT will loose lots of electricity revenue."
What about water as they're cutting that off too?

MightyQuin

Honorary Master
Yes there is inflation, but there are also other factors determining property value, like supply and demand, interest rates etc. Just because property in an area shoots up in price because of desired location or whatever shouldn't affect the rates on the same scale.

View attachment 937032

I added another 5 years for dramatic effect.
Dramatic indeed.... :rolleyes: