Clickbait confirmed: Vodacom's Black Friday Sirocco deal

Did Vodacom screw people over completely unnecessarily?

• Yes: everybody who got a deal number should have gotten the deal, simple

• No: a company is allowed to accept applications for things they can't deliver

Results are only viewable after voting.
Also got the runaround and was told T&C apply!!! I really needed a phone so we go to t(e store and chose a Huawei Mate Lite at R499.00
Well guess what....Today a courier delivered a phone to work that my wife signed for and it’s the Nokia 8 Sirocco!!!
Now what....? I two new contracts to pay for. FFS.

rawdog

Im still waiting. Call the call centre and just get told there isn't any stock.

Trying the email route now, let's hope it goes well.

naasier

the online call centre is a mess especially seeing as how they have exposed themselves with the bf deal as well as portraying a poor company image for the whole group.
Email customercare@vodacom.co.za and they will phone the online division to find what's going on
I was told yesterday that the Nokia 8 is out of stock so who ever gets one is lucky

Seylan

So someone from Vodacom's CEO's office also called me yesterday, said the same thing: they doing everything they can to get stock of the 8 Sirocco for me.

CranialBlaze

Expert Member
So someone from Vodacom's CEO's office also called me yesterday, said the same thing: they doing everything they can to get stock of the 8 Sirocco for me.
I asked them to go fetch it from the out of stock cupboard, and its coming in a few hours, RAM was here early already even though I had called and asked them to only com after 12

CranialBlaze

Expert Member
Soo, mine arrived yesterday via priority delivery, which I was not ready for. As it had shipped Wednesday I assumed an eco delivery and getting her Wednesday most likely, nope, the courier arrived before 9am,i was not even home, I was at the gym.

Anyway, benefit of said priority is he came. Back later again for a retry.

rawdog

Just got an SMS from RAM that my parcel is on the way.

I tried the very polite approach email to the CEO office and only did it once. They said they would investigate and nobody got back to me, but RAM's SMS gives hope.

hj2k_x

Honorary Master
So strange that it still doesn't show for you and some other people. I am using Firefox, and this is exactly what I did (checked that it shows as R99 pm on 19 Dec, 08:58 AM)
  • On the Vodacom website, go to Shop, Devices&Deals, Browse all devices
  • Sort by: Price lowest to highest (to find the device easily) View attachment 594522
  • Click on the deal, and this shows up:
View attachment 594524
  • Now click the red "Choose a plan".
This page shows up:
View attachment 594532
  • On this same page, change the color from black to lavender, and you get this:
View attachment 594534
  • Notice the price change on the right to R99. Now scroll down the page to select the top-up 120 contract plan.
View attachment 594536
  • Now select your R99 deal:
View attachment 594538
  • And:
View attachment 594544
  • Complete checkout, ID number, name, etc... and Submit.
I hope it works for you so that you can fight with them
It's showing for me now. The lavender one. Still a great deal. I can't find anything to with another phone after all... For now....

Foxhound5366

Executive Member
Just got an SMS from RAM that my parcel is on the way.

I tried the very polite approach email to the CEO office and only did it once. They said they would investigate and nobody got back to me, but RAM's SMS gives hope.
I don't understand these people who say all they did was e-mailed and then the next contact was an SMS from RAM ... surely Vodacom had to approve your contract application? They can't just sign people up to contracts without them explicitly accepting the T&C and doing at least a basic financial check (including asking people to supply their financial documents etc). Without THAT they'd just be exposing themselves to people saying they never formally applied for the contract, and Vodacom would be in hell all over again.

Like I described here, after the lady from the CEO's office got involved, I got a call from somebody claiming to be with Vodacom (actually vcontractor.co.za) who then captured the actual application and asked for the usual documents (all of which I supplied first before getting informed the contract was approved). Even after that I got ANOTHER call from a lady at Vodacom Confirmations just double-checking all the details and then she confirmed a delivery date for the phone.

airborne

Executive Member
I don't understand these people who say all they did was e-mailed and then the next contact was an SMS from RAM ... surely Vodacom had to approve your contract application? They can't just sign people up to contracts without them explicitly accepting the T&C and doing at least a basic financial check (including asking people to supply their financial documents etc). Without THAT they'd just be exposing themselves to people saying they never formally applied for the contract, and Vodacom would be in hell all over again.

Like I described here, after the lady from the CEO's office got involved, I got a call from somebody claiming to be with Vodacom (actually vcontractor.co.za) who then captured the actual application and asked for the usual documents (all of which I supplied first before getting informed the contract was approved). Even after that I got ANOTHER call from a lady at Vodacom Confirmations just double-checking all the details and then she confirmed a delivery date for the phone.
Maybe those were applications that didn't require any additional vetting?

CranialBlaze

Expert Member
Mine was also strange, I applied and they told me they will call me back after the vetting to do the tnc and ****, next thing I check with them and they give me a tracking number.

I did not even get a copy of the contract, no terms and crap, nothing.

Foxhound5366

Executive Member
I did not even get a copy of the contract, no terms and crap, nothing.
Will be funny to see the first debit order go off, then phone Vodacom and say "Err, why are you taking money from my account? Please send me a copy of the signed contract." Of course realise if you do that, they're just gonna demand their phone back, but if you wanna make a point you have that option.

In fact, it'd be interesting to know what the law would say, if you decided to just hold onto the phone and say "Vodacom sent me a free present before I decided to sign a contract, so there is no obligation to return it." I guess the same clauses where you are liable to return money that was incorrectly transferred into your bank account would apply, but it's a fun thought anyway.

ld13

Honorary Master
I don't understand these people who say all they did was e-mailed and then the next contact was an SMS from RAM ...
Went for the A6+. Got the first call and the second confirmation call. They never asked for any documents - found it odd, since it was my first cellphone contract, ever. Got my delivery.
Wife also went for the A6+. Got the first call. They asked for the normal 3 months bank statements etc. We got the second confirmation call but it got dropped before anything could be discussed. Waited for them to call back - never happened. Got the delivery today. :unsure:

In other news: Watch out/check your vodacom bill - they added a Contract Cover Insurance @R 6.99 to my contract without my consent.

CranialBlaze

Expert Member
Went for the A6+. Got the first call and the second confirmation call. They never asked for any documents - found it odd, since it was my first cellphone contract, ever. Got my delivery.
Wife also went for the A6+. Got the first call. They asked for the normal 3 months bank statements etc. We got the second confirmation call but it got dropped before anything could be discussed. Waited for them to call back - never happened. Got the delivery today. :unsure:

In other news: Watch out/check your vodacom bill - they added a Contract Cover Insurance @R 6.99 to my contract without my consent.

It's probably in the terms and possibly not a bad thing, will need to read its terms.

hj2k_x

Honorary Master

Nice! How is the phone? Specs and reviews look decent.

ld13

Honorary Master
Nice! How is the phone? Specs and reviews look decent.
So far so good. These days phones are phones are phones (if you are not into rooting/tinkering with it - I simply do not have the time for that). Waited for a cover etc before we started using the phones, so I have not had much hands-on time with it as of yet.

Main gripes so far has more to do with me not being used to Android 8 (used to my old phone/Android 6) than anything else. The face unlock is nice, although slightly slow - will probably only use the fingerprint unlock. The camera is nice, probably not better than the Nokia 8 Sirocco - will still compare them side by side.

For R99, I cannot complain.

hj2k_x

Honorary Master
So far so good. These days phones are phones are phones (if you are not into rooting/tinkering with it - I simply do not have the time for that). Waited for a cover etc before we started using the phones, so I have not had much hands-on time with it as of yet.

Main gripes so far has more to do with me not being used to Android 8 (used to my old phone/Android 6) than anything else. The face unlock is nice, although slightly slow - will probably only use the fingerprint unlock. The camera is nice, probably not better than the Nokia 8 Sirocco - will still compare them side by side.

For R99, I cannot complain.
And the display is called Infinity but it's flat rather than curved, hey?

ld13

Honorary Master
And the display is called Infinity but it's flat rather than curved, hey?
I fail to see what is so infinity about it. Quite flat indeed. Compared to the Nokia 8 Sirocco, the A6+ is 100% flat.
Using the A6+'s screen as the definition of an infinity screen, it means that almost every phone I have owned has had an infinity display. But it does not bother me at all. I prefer flat - could not pick up the Nokia 8 Sirocco with its curved screen.