Clickbait confirmed: Vodacom's Black Friday Sirocco deal

Did Vodacom screw people over completely unnecessarily?

• Yes: everybody who got a deal number should have gotten the deal, simple

• No: a company is allowed to accept applications for things they can't deliver

Results are only viewable after voting.

hj2k_x

Honorary Master
You think I should replace my S8 with the Nokia ?
Was considering it but its not an upgrade, and will be paying extra every month for something that's not necessary.

If it was the R99pm A6+, my son will take the sim card and I was probably gonna sell the phone.

Still undecided
Hmmm. I don't know if the Sirocco is going to feel like much of an upgrade from your S8...

MR.C

Expert Member
Sirocco got delivered earlier today with no sim card, just the phone.

Edit: They processed the prepaid to contract that I applied for online but showed an error when I did apply for the conversation online.

Last edited:

hj2k_x

Honorary Master
Sirocco got delivered earlier today with no sim card, just the phone.

Edit: They processed the prepaid to contract that I applied for online but showed an error when I did apply for the conversation online.
Did you get the SIM in the end? How are you finding the phone?

MR.C

Expert Member
Did you get the SIM in the end? How are you finding the phone?
They converted my son's prepaid number to the contract.

Surprising cos when I applied for the same online, it gave an error code and they didn't ask for the sim number.

Finding the phone quite good. Battery life is fantastic. Only problem is the ommision of an ear phone jack. It does come with a type-c earphone set but you can't even use a wireless charger when using the earphones, and the standard one in the box doesn't have volume controls...

Lupus

Honorary Master

Surprising cos when I applied for the same online, it gave an error code and they didn't ask for the sim number.

Finding the phone quite good. Battery life is fantastic. Only problem is the ommision of an ear phone jack. It does come with a type-c earphone set but you can't even use a wireless charger when using the earphones, and the standard one in the box doesn't have volume controls...
The volume control normally just controls the phones anyway.

airborne

Executive Member
The volume control normally just controls the phones anyway.
Not from my experience, they control the phones volume, you can watch the volume slider on the phone move as you adjust it on the headset.

That's interesting, never occurred to me about media buttons not working when using a USB-C to headphone dongle.

Does anyone know if that is true?

If that is the case, that would be terrible, I love wired earbuds with media control buttons and I have been eyeballing some phone upgrades with no headphone jack.

Lupus

Honorary Master
Not from my experience, they control the phones volume, you can watch the volume slider on the phone move as you adjust it on the headset. That's interesting, never occurred to me about media buttons not working when using a USB-C to headphone dongle.

Does anyone know if that is true?

If that is the case, that would be terrible, I love wired earbuds with media control buttons and I have been eyeballing some phone upgrades with no headphone jack.
That's what I said :) it controls the phones volume, it's not separate :)

MR.C

Expert Member
Oops, by "phones" I assumed you were referring to headphones, so do media Controls on wired headphones all work with the USB-C to headphone dongle?
Scenario 1:
Use included earphones, no volume control on earphones so volume has to be controlled with phones side buttons.

Scenario 2:
Use included dongle for earphones with 3.5mm jack. I used my AKG that came with my S8. Volume up works but volume down button just pasues. Middle button works as supposed to, ie, 1 press is pause, 2 presses is next track.
I haven't tried with any other earphones.

My niece has the same phone but tried the adaptor/dongle and hers didn't work on either of our phones. AND THEN...

I used the Nokia Support chat option on the support app, and this was 9:30pm and they responded saying that accessories have a 6 month warranty and that it should be taken in (to Vodacom)
That shows that they willing to go far with service to build the brand, good sign.

Seylan

Nearly 2 months since I applied for the Nokia 8 Sirocco on the R165 pm black Friday special, and I have finally received it today:laugh::)
IMG_6448.JPG
Hopefully the long wait was worth it. I just plan on using it as a secondary phone for now though because I am still after a proper flagship phone, and my trusty iPhone 6 Plus ( 4 years old! ) still has some life left in it. This deal was unbeatable value, and I am glad I continued trying to get it.

naasier

Nearly 2 months since I applied for the Nokia 8 Sirocco on the R165 pm black Friday special, and I have finally received it today:laugh::)
View attachment 605778
Hopefully the long wait was worth it. I just plan on using it as a secondary phone for now though because I am still after a proper flagship phone, and my trusty iPhone 6 Plus ( 4 years old! ) still has some life left in it. This deal was unbeatable value, and I am glad I continued trying to get it.
Tell us how you managed that ...

Last edited:

Seylan

Tell us how you managed that ...
Emailed them a few times last month saying how unfair the whole situation was. Someone phoned me saying that they will do their best to get me the 8 Sirocco and explained that they had issues getting stock. I emailed them last week saying I don't have the time to wait this long and that I will be joining another cellular provider instead. Got a call the next day confirming my order. And here we are now. :)

Nobody Important

Executive Member
View attachment 605778
Early Black Friday 2019 deal? :ROFL:

naasier

Emailed them a few times last month saying how unfair the whole situation was. Someone phoned me saying that they will do their best to get me the 8 Sirocco and explained that they had issues getting stock. I emailed them last week saying I don't have the time to wait this long and that I will be joining another cellular provider instead. Got a call the next day confirming my order. And here we are now. :)
Lucky! Which email address did they respond to? I gave up already

hj2k_x

Honorary Master
Nearly 2 months since I applied for the Nokia 8 Sirocco on the R165 pm black Friday special, and I have finally received it today:)
View attachment 605778
Good stuff.

My Sirocco is still working out well. Still going naked in terms of screen protector. Using the stock hard case that came in the box. It's all working rather well for my needs as a work phone.

Seylan

Lucky! Which email address did they respond to? I gave up already
You mean which email responded to me ? I just emailed srm@vodacom.co.za again ( and CC'd the CEO guy as well for added measure). Yeah at first it seemed like they forgot about me and I also gave up for the Nokia 8 Sirocco, but I got really frustrated after not even getting the Samsung A6+ deal @ R99 pm when it was showing on their website for over a week, and also seeing quite a few people here on this forum getting their phones, so I wrote a long email saying how terrible their service is. I guess I could have also tried to get the A6+ but I was already happy they were trying to get me the Sirocco so decided not to be greedy lol.

chickenbeef

Executive Member
In other news: Watch out/check your vodacom bill - they added a Contract Cover Insurance @R 6.99 to my contract without my consent.
Also got hit with this. E-mailed them to query it and they said they'll remove it from my contract and refund me for the previous months.

Fortunately I had the call recorded when I signed up so they wouldn't have a leg to stand on even if they tried.

hj2k_x

Honorary Master
Also got hit with this. E-mailed them to query it and they said they'll remove it from my contract and refund me for the previous months.

Fortunately I had the call recorded when I signed up so they wouldn't have a leg to stand on even if they tried.
Very sneaky.

My bill was fine.

Still enjoying the Scirocco. And using the airtime to buy things off the Play Store / pay for subscriptions :)

ld13

Honorary Master
Man. I went into my local vodacom back in December. They printed out my invoice and promised to remove it from my account. Just checked... it is still on my account. :mad:

Thx for the reminder @chickenbeef