Clickbait confirmed: Vodacom's Black Friday Sirocco deal

Did Vodacom screw people over completely unnecessarily?

• Yes: everybody who got a deal number should have gotten the deal, simple

• No: a company is allowed to accept applications for things they can't deliver

Results are only viewable after voting.

hj2k_x

Honorary Master
Man. I went into my local vodacom back in December. They printed out my invoice and promised to remove it from my account. Just checked... it is still on my account. :mad:

Thx for the reminder @chickenbeef
Tell them you want a Scirocco to make up for the pain and suffering caused :)

raind33r

Expert Member
Nice investigation! I also saw that their website is just a holding page.

My guess is that that entire Black Friday promotion was administered by 'Like Minds' on behalf of Vodacom, so that their call centre didn't have to get involved or do actual work. THIS is probably why the service was so terrible and there is even less than zero accountability.

Anybody else dealt with Like Minds on this promotion?
I had the exact same experience.
@ssholes!

airborne

Executive Member
Very sneaky.

My bill was fine.

Still enjoying the Scirocco. And using the airtime to buy things off the Play Store / pay for subscriptions :)
That's a clever move, will keep that in mind for contracts where the phone is the prize and not the contract.

How do you use airtime to buy play store content, I think I have seen that functionality before.

hj2k_x

Honorary Master
That's a clever move, will keep that in mind for contracts where the phone is the prize and not the contract.

How do you use airtime to buy play store content, I think I have seen that functionality before.
When you are choosing a payment method you select "carrier billing" and then it should come off your airtime. Worked fine so far for me.

ld13

Honorary Master
Right. I am ready to take on Vodacom. Not related to the black friday deals. Going the 'contact the CFO route'. I found the ceo@ & shameel.joosub@ emails.

I take it that the civil, but to the point, style reaps the most rewards?

Tell them you want a Scirocco to make up for the pain and suffering caused :)
Imagine that!

FiestaST

Honorary Master
Sooo MTN has this for only R199pm these days. At that price is it any good to recommend to follow humans? Lean Android experience & all.

MR.C

Expert Member
Sooo MTN has this for only R199pm these days. At that price is it any good to recommend to follow humans? Lean Android experience & all.
It's a very good phone.
Quite fast, compare specs against a Samsung S9 on gsmarena.

CranialBlaze

Expert Member
We're, so one else mentioned it and it's only listed at 349, the Nokia 7 is the only one on mtb for 199

CranialBlaze

Expert Member
It's a very good phone.
Quite fast, compare specs against a Samsung S9 on gsmarena.
The difference being its not bloated and slowed down with over 6gb of Samsung crap, it probably outperforms the s12

Foxhound5366

Executive Member
At that price, it's the best you can do, yes. It is NOT an S10, but then you are paying a quarter of the premium.

Screen is sharp enough, battery life is truly all-day, processor never lags, camera is ok by modern standards (but not great). One worrying thing is mine has started rebooting itself infrequently ... like once a week. Might just be a dodgy app, but I thought android 9 wouldn't let that happen.

CranialBlaze

Expert Member
When last did you actually use a Samsung S8/S9/S10?
I gave up on sansumg ages ago, the only reason it has all that hardware behind it is because of the ****ed software, install vanilli android on it and suddenly it will turn into the closest thing to a portable super computer.
I have enough friends complaining about Thier poor life choices.

Crowley

Executive Member
I gave up on sansumg ages ago, the only reason it has all that hardware behind it is because of the ****ed software, install vanilli android on it and suddenly it will turn into the closest thing to a portable super computer.
I have enough friends complaining about Thier poor life choices.
Samsung has changed a lot in the last few years. Give a S10 a go, you will be pleasantly surprised.

CranialBlaze

Expert Member
Samsung has changed a lot in the last few years. Give a S10 a go, you will be pleasantly surprised.
Considering they still 4x the size of the base, still fake benchmarks and still add security holes in, no thanks.

MR.C

Expert Member
For the price, it has to be fast.
Compare the prices and the Sirocco is a very good deal.

Only don't like the flash, messes up some pics but battery life is good, wireless charging is a bonus, prefer the width for typing compared to S8 I had before, really is a good looking phone. Camera is decent.

ld13

Honorary Master
We're, so one else mentioned it and it's only listed at 349, the Nokia 7 is the only one on mtb for 199
Are you saying that the Nokia 8 S is not available on MTN @ R199? I swear I found it last night for R199. Will check later?

One worrying thing is mine has started rebooting itself infrequently ... like once a week.
My mother mentioned the same with hers - infrequent resets. Too infrequent for me to have seen it happen though...

CranialBlaze

Expert Member
Are you saying that the Nokia 8 S is not available on MTN @ R199? I swear I found it last night for R199. Will check later?

My mother mentioned the same with hers - infrequent resets. Too infrequent for me to have seen it happen though...
I found it today ya, someone mentioned it in another thread last week and not even Google could find it.