Cloning SSD Boot Drive to M.2 NVME

Gtx Gaming

Gtx Gaming
Easeus is very easy to use. Install it on your boot drive and clone it to the new drive. Unplug the old drive and you're ready to go.

It took only four minutes to transfer a 256GB system disk to an NVME. :)
This also worked for me to my NVME drive.

Ancalagon

Honorary Master
I can't remember what I used. I tried several free cloning programs and eventually found one that worked. The issue was that you need it to resize the partitions for your new drive.

Ie, you have at least one large partition on your 120GB drive. What a lot of these programs do is just copy over the partitions, leaving you with 512GB - 120GB of unpartitioned space. But you cannot join this to an existing partition. Once a partition is created, it cannot be extended to fill up the unused space. At least, I couldn't find a way to do it in Windows.

So, I only found one program that would expand the partitions to take up the available space.

Otherwise you essentially have two drive letters assigned to the same physical drive, which sucks.

newby_investor

Expert Member
Once a partition is created, it cannot be extended to fill up the unused space. At least, I couldn't find a way to do it in Windows.
This is pretty easy to do.

Took literally zero time with my NVME drive, to resize from 500GB to 1TB.

Mista_Mobsta

Expert Member
This is pretty easy to do.

Took literally zero time with my NVME drive, to resize from 500GB to 1TB.
Might be stupid question but does the resize of the partition not corrupt any data on the disk?

Swa

Honorary Master
Might be stupid question but does the resize of the partition not corrupt any data on the disk?
Going bigger no. Going smaller you sometimes need to move data such as paging files to the beginning of the disk which ironically Windows can't do even if it's an unused drive. You can sometimes get away with this by deleting them.

newby_investor

Expert Member
Going bigger no. Going smaller you sometimes need to move data such as paging files to the beginning of the disk which ironically Windows can't do even if it's an unused drive. You can sometimes get away with this by deleting them.
Pretty much this. Going bigger is trivially easy, and very quick on an SSD.

beans100

Honorary Master
Usually there's software or a key to software, accompanying the NVMe, that you can use.....??

newby_investor

Expert Member
Usually there's software or a key to software, accompanying the NVMe, that you can use.....??
Depends on the brand. WD's website will give you a link to download their version of Acronis, but that checks whether you're using a WD drive (so no key involved as such). The one I bought didn't have anything (maybe one reason it was cheap).

Mista_Mobsta

Expert Member
Update:

Finally had some time to do the clone from SSD to NVME.
Used Macrium reflect to clone the SSD to NVME. It cloned the disk and booted from the cloned disk once successfully, but I did run into some issues...
1) The partition cloned from the source to destination had 26GB missing.
2) Extending the partition to allow for extra space, post boot, on cloned NVME was not successful. The disk management kept prompting me to "upgrade" the disk from Basic to Dynamic. Eventually I restarted and tried to boot from the NVME and the boot data was corrupted - I expect it had to do with the basic vs dynamic disk issue.

Will be formatting the NVME and trying another program as Macrium messed me around a bit.

newby_investor

Expert Member
Update:

Finally had some time to do the clone from SSD to NVME.
Used Macrium reflect to clone the SSD to NVME. It cloned the disk and booted from the cloned disk once successfully, but I did run into some issues...
1) The partition cloned from the source to destination had 26GB missing.
2) Extending the partition to allow for extra space, post boot, on cloned NVME was not successful. The disk management kept prompting me to "upgrade" the disk from Basic to Dynamic. Eventually I restarted and tried to boot from the NVME and the boot data was corrupted - I expect it had to do with the basic vs dynamic disk issue.

Will be formatting the NVME and trying another program as Macrium messed me around a bit.
Odd. I don't remember having that problem, and I went from a 500GB spinning disk to a 1TB NVME using Macrium Reflect. Boosted the size of the partition using Windows' built-in disk management.

Mista_Mobsta

Expert Member
Odd. I don't remember having that problem, and I went from a 500GB spinning disk to a 1TB NVME using Macrium Reflect. Boosted the size of the partition using Windows' built-in disk management.
I am pretty sure I didn't mess up the cloning as it's truly simple to do. I guess the problem that I can't figure out is as follows: why the HELL Windows kept prompting me to convert the disk from Basic to Dynamic. I also couldn't adjust the size of partition using the free version of Macrium (unless I really didn't focus...)
I eventually did a fresh install on the NVME as I managed to backup my critical data anyway.
Just wanted an easier solution than fresh install

Maybe it was due to a cloning of the Boot Disk? Anyone ever have problems cloning a MBR partition?

newby_investor

Expert Member
Maybe it was due to a cloning of the Boot Disk? Anyone ever have problems cloning a MBR partition?
Now my memory grows hazy. I don't actually know whether I had an MBR or GPT partition scheme on the disk. Maybe that's the kicker.

I would usually be an advocate for fresh install anyway, usually allows you to get rid of cruft that builds up over time. It's annoying to restore all your settings to the way they used to be though.

xefor

So I recently cloned my SSD to a NVME using Samsung's Software. Generally if the new drive is GPT then you should convert the old drive to GPT. Remember to disconnect the old drive once the cloning is complete.

ChrisG79

Try and use MiniTool Partition wizard Free to clone and partition drive. Used a couple of time with latest Windows version and no issues at all.