• You are losing out on amazing benefits because you are not a member. Join for free. Register now.
  • Samsung Pay Giveaway - Win a Samsung Connect & Control Speaker and other prizes. Enter Here.
  • Audi e-tron Giveaway - Win prizes worth R3,000 Enter Here.

Cloud Backup Software

Good Day all

Which cloud backup software is out there to use and what would be a good price to pay for backup software and storage?

Does anybody know of any comparative article listing pros/cons and prices of different cloud backup software and storage ?

JJRM

You aren't going to find a single comparative article for all the solutions out there. Best bet is to start with your full requirement and work your choices from there like DrJZ says above.

We are looking to backup all the sales people's laptops as they are seldom in the office and tend to save things on their Desktop - we have tried OneDrive for Business, but that doesn't seem to be working effectively as we dont know if the sales person's data is synced as they might not always be online.

The reason for a backup solution is that we can get notifications if any of the laptops havent been backed up in a while and call the sales person to get online so a backup can run - with OneDrive the onus is on the end user to ensure that the drive is synced - with a backup software solution, we then can control if the data is actually backed up

We are looking to backup all the sales people's laptops as they are seldom in the office and tend to save things on their Desktop - we have tried OneDrive for Business, but that doesn't seem to be working effectively as we dont know if the sales person's data is synced as they might not always be online.

The reason for a backup solution is that we can get notifications if any of the laptops havent been backed up in a while and call the sales person to get online so a backup can run - with OneDrive the onus is on the end user to ensure that the drive is synced - with a backup software solution, we then can control if the data is actually backed up
How many seats are you talking about here?

Questions for this day and age in South Africa:-

You say they may not go online enough? Surely they need to get mail, surf web, sync corp applications? How often are they required to do this?

What type of internet connectivity do your reps have? If only mobile data, then you need to factor cost of backing up entire system?

Accountability . If you provide a solution like OneDrive for business to allow users to backup docs , etc then it's all about training (e.g. don't save on desktop, save in OneDrive folder, and when pc is online it should automatically sync?) and then it's the end user's responsibility ... If they don't do either, e.g save on desktop or elsewhere or never go online - whose fault is it when laptop is borked,.stolen, etc?

I stopped nannying our users. We provide the tools and mechanism for protecting data , I really don't care about the full OS, etc as if anything had to occur with laptop, if would need to be repaired / refreshed at HQ in the first place due to our security policies. We had users complain about lost data, I tried to show crocodile tears ... But it was their onus to work correctly .. and they did not, so nothing we could do!

swakop_toe

How many seats are you talking about here?

Questions for this day and age in South Africa:-

You say they may not go online enough? Surely they need to get mail, surf web, sync corp applications? How often are they required to do this?

What type of internet connectivity do your reps have? If only mobile data, then you need to factor cost of backing up entire system?

Accountability . If you provide a solution like OneDrive for business to allow users to backup docs , etc then it's all about training (e.g. don't save on desktop, save in OneDrive folder, and when pc is online it should automatically sync?) and then it's the end user's responsibility ... If they don't do either, e.g save on desktop or elsewhere or never go online - whose fault is it when laptop is borked,.stolen, etc?

I stopped nannying our users. We provide the tools and mechanism for protecting data , I really don't care about the full OS, etc as if anything had to occur with laptop, if would need to be repaired / refreshed at HQ in the first place due to our security policies. We had users complain about lost data, I tried to show crocodile tears ... But it was their onus to work correctly .. and they did not, so nothing we could do!
This! ^^^^^

Wasabee!

Expert Member
I agree set a policy and make it their problem to work correctly. Sales people can be like toddlers, they often don't listen.