Cloud storage - G Suite

Nimz

Executive Member
I need some advice on how to better implement the current file system we have in place. Since we are all still under lock down, now would be the perfect time to get everything in place before we re-open.

So this company is a contractor to the insurance industry (Building, Plumbing, Built in cupboards etc)
Currently a central server is used where all files are stored ("Backup Files" - Insurance Company - Client folder)
Inside the client's folder are all their particulars (Reports,Photos, Quotes etc)
This "Backup Files" folder is mapped on all their laptops

The problem with this setup is that the admin workers can only access the files if locally connected (unless via remote desktop etc)
These are just basic admin staff with no real qualifications and not that computer literate apart from Office programs.

There are 5 admin staff and the folder that they need to access is not more than 400GB. These files are backed up via Backblaze.

Would it be advisable to get 1 x G Suite Business account for $12 which will offer 1TB storage (or unlimited if it's still not enforced) and use Google Drive Stream on the client side to access said folder?
Are their any limitations to this setup or Drive Stream itself?

100Mbps Fibre connection at the location so connectivity shouldn't be a problem

The domain is also using the legacy G Suite free accounts

Nimz

Executive Member
@cavedog since you use G Suite, your insight would be appreciated :thumbsup:

Last edited:

|tera|

Master of Messengers
You can do the same with Dropbox Business.
It's way easier than all the hoops and loops.

|tera|

Master of Messengers
Seems a bit too costly at $15 per user per month
Given the Enterprise example about what the Company does, I would have thought their IT budget could cover this.

It's really not that much of an expense if you take security, ease of use and low admin into account.

Chingha

Expert Member
The recent changes to shared folders on Google Backup and Sync would have me thinking hard about basing work on Google's platforms again.

The 15 dollars a month on Dropbox sounds good, even if just for the stability right now.

Nimz

Executive Member
So since our offices were trashed and looted

I'm even more interested in this as I do not require a physical file server as a replacement if I can get this right.

I need to restore my backup somewhere asap to get our business back on track.

Any advice will be appreciated.

InvisibleJim

Expert Member
Microsoft 365 Basic is advertised as R91.70 per user per month so i think it's cheaper than the other options you've quoted.

You could set up a Team in Teams and add the files into the Sharepoint Teams site underlying that. Then as well as accessing files through Teams, users can use the Onedrive for Business client to Sync the Sharepoint folders to their PC - this makes it appear like a shared drive in Windows explorer and assuming you have Windows 10 pc's you can cache only the files you need on the PC (Files on Demand)

Chingha

Expert Member
Buy space on pCloud, you can pay once off.
Then share a folder in that with the staff.
The nice thing is that any stuff stored in the share only counts against the owners space allocation, not the person shared with.
So, for one payment or monthly payments by one person/entity the whole office can work in the share.

Obviously if they each want an on line space bigger than the 7 Gb or so that is free on PCloud then they need to pay for that.

PCloud always local sync and a mounted online drive.

SeaSickMama

Expert Member
I use gSuite now something else not sure about the name.

But yeah it would be really worthwhile just think it's close to R200 per user per month, email and the whole lot in one place. You can also put restrictions on files and prevent data loss "See where its being shared, restrict shares outside your company etc", plus with the team drives its unlimited well 500 000 Folder/Files. You can create a fair few team drive think 1000 is the limit

Linking it with rClone is one method just a little complicated, but they give you the FileStream https://support.google.com/a/answer/7491144?hl=en software from google which works rather well. Think the daily limit a user can push up is 750GB resets at something like 9 Am in the morning

You can go the office 365 route which I would expect you probably already are on being an insurance company ?

Cavedog and I have been venturing rather deep into the GSuite option, I hold a fair share of my client's data backups etc. Sitting at around 26TB now.

@Nimz

Solarion

Honorary Master
Buy space on pCloud, you can pay once off.
Then share a folder in that with the staff.
The nice thing is that any stuff stored in the share only counts against the owners space allocation, not the person shared with.
So, for one payment or monthly payments by one person/entity the whole office can work in the share.

Obviously if they each want an on line space bigger than the 7 Gb or so that is free on PCloud then they need to pay for that.

PCloud always local sync and a mounted online drive.

Just signed up myself. I like the simplicity of pCloud. I was with Google Drive but omfg is the sync rate slow. A 20mb file takes about 5 mins to sync. Tested it on PCloud and it smashed the upload in a few seconds. Google better get their **** together tbh. Anyway I don't care anymore. OneDrive and pCloud ftw.

Chingha

Expert Member
The huge issue we had was GDrive re scanning the all 100k files from time to time. Usually when you quickly want to sync your laptop and rush out the door.
Never happened with pCloud so far.

DA-LION-619

Honorary Master
So since our offices were trashed and looted

I'm even more interested in this as I do not require a physical file server as a replacement if I can get this right.

I need to restore my backup somewhere asap to get our business back on track.

Any advice will be appreciated.
As already mentioned about Microsoft 365 and Teams, I’ll just add that when you setup your organisation/tenant you can have the data stored here in SA.

Which makes recovery faster, also if you need compliance certs you can just get them off the MS site.

Nimz

Executive Member
I tried Pcloud and it was just a disaster - folders took forever to upload (190GB) on a 200Mbps/100Mbps line
When using a M1 MacBook the installation was also a pain and had to jump through security hoops.

Got refunded and went to Dropbox - Family plan 2TB
Works perfectly, so i'm very happy with the decision.

backstreetboy

Honorary Master
I tried Pcloud and it was just a disaster - folders took forever to upload (190GB) on a 200Mbps/100Mbps line
When using a M1 MacBook the installation was also a pain and had to jump through security hoops.

Got refunded and went to Dropbox - Family plan 2TB
Works perfectly, so i'm very happy with the decision.
Strange working fine here.

1629702335182.png

ubercal

Expert Member
I need some advice on how to better implement the current file system we have in place. Since we are all still under lock down, now would be the perfect time to get everything in place before we re-open.

So this company is a contractor to the insurance industry (Building, Plumbing, Built in cupboards etc)
Currently a central server is used where all files are stored ("Backup Files" - Insurance Company - Client folder)
Inside the client's folder are all their particulars (Reports,Photos, Quotes etc)
This "Backup Files" folder is mapped on all their laptops

The problem with this setup is that the admin workers can only access the files if locally connected (unless via remote desktop etc)
These are just basic admin staff with no real qualifications and not that computer literate apart from Office programs.

There are 5 admin staff and the folder that they need to access is not more than 400GB. These files are backed up via Backblaze.

Would it be advisable to get 1 x G Suite Business account for $12 which will offer 1TB storage (or unlimited if it's still not enforced) and use Google Drive Stream on the client side to access said folder?
Are their any limitations to this setup or Drive Stream itself?

100Mbps Fibre connection at the location so connectivity shouldn't be a problem

The domain is also using the legacy G Suite free accounts

azure file services (aka cloud version of the traditional SMB/file server model) or sharepoint online using document libraries.

All other solutions , Gsuite , google drive,dropbox etc are mickey mouse / home setups.Do it properly .........

Last edited:

Bobbin

Executive Member
I wouldn't generally recommend using these cloud solutions to replace a file server, apart from maybe SharePoint Online (Even then with some caveats).

I could probably write a bit of an essay as to why. But it's your funeral :)

Primarily, think backup compliancy and permissions. And then also be sure you read the fine print about the limitations of these solutions especially with large libraries, they could bite you later.

backstreetboy

Honorary Master
I wouldn't generally recommend using these cloud solutions to replace a file server, apart from maybe SharePoint Online (Even then with some caveats).

I could probably write a bit of an essay as to why. But it's your funeral :)

Primarily, think backup compliancy and permissions. And then also be sure you read the fine print about the limitations of these solutions especially with large libraries, they could bite you later.
That was largely applicable 10 years ago. Not anymore.