Cloudflare SA CDN servers limited to 100Mbps?

cavedog

Honorary Master
Confirmed this rate limit does not exist for requests served to EU - maxed my box downloading from another box, via Cloudflare. Must be Cloudflare finally feeling the cost of quality transit to Africa. 100Mbit for free is still very generous (and multi-threading exists...)
But my main issue with this is the single threaded performance. I don't care to download my files over the CDN but using a Emby or Plex server to stream media from a box hosted in NL causes issues so will be nice to have that at full speed. Damn no wonder all my 4K uncompressed is buffering. Damn you cloudflare!!!! :mad:

waylander

Expert Member
But my main issue with this is the single threaded performance. I don't care to download my files over the CDN but using a Emby or Plex server to stream media from a box hosted in NL causes issues so will be nice to have that at full speed. Damn no wonder all my 4K uncompressed is buffering. Damn you cloudflare!!!! :mad:
If you're trying to push 4k uncompressed over the internet and expect it to work your expectations are a bit high... each to their own, though. I'm happy pushing 4k via Plex with transcoding.

cavedog

Honorary Master
If you're trying to push 4k uncompressed over the internet and expect it to work your expectations are a bit high... each to their own, though. I'm happy pushing 4k via Plex with transcoding.
Maybe but it's like ~130Mbps give or take which is not that high anyways or maybe I'm just being a brat. It's basically only possible locally so the CDN was the solution until it wasn't. Ahh well. Would need to transcode then. :( The issue is the CDN's aren't pushing a constant stream of bandwidth if I can say it like that and even though Supersonic is pretty good the speeds vary between 69 - 95Mbps single thread so setting it below 60Mbps is the only real solution to avoid buffering in Plex or Emby.

waylander

Expert Member
Flinging 4k (transcoded down to 1080p because laptop...) via Plex and works great. Don't see practical reasons for needing uncompressed 4k, but if you're fine with 90GB 4K files, Plex + Cloudflare handles it fine. IMG_6293.JPG

cavedog

Honorary Master
Just throw the HTTP url behind a CNAME on Cloudflare, click the proxy icon so it goes orange and it'll work.
Works great on my Feralhosting.com box. Just a pity about the 100Mbps per tcp connection limit. Awww well have to multi it and make them pay :laugh:

cavedog

Honorary Master
@websquadza I also notice a speedcap on traffic even if it stays in Europe. Moving a file from AMS, NL via the CDN proxy to Paris, FR has a speed cap of ~70MB/s (550Mbps) Direct without CDN it transfers at about 220MB/s (1.760Gbps)

Cloudflare probably limits this intentionally to prevent abuse and obviously to prevent people from moving large amounts of data and files through the CDN. They charge an insane amount of money for video data but allows CDN for FREE and just slapping a server address behind a cname or A record in a FREE Cloudflare account enables CDN with no data limit. :unsure::cool:

Anthro

Expert Member
@websquadza I also notice a speedcap on traffic even if it stays in Europe. Moving a file from AMS, NL via the CDN proxy to Paris, FR has a speed cap of ~70MB/s (550Mbps) Direct without CDN it transfers at about 220MB/s (1.760Gbps)

Cloudflare probably limits this intentionally to prevent abuse and obviously to prevent people from moving large amounts of data and files through the CDN. They charge an insane amount of money for video data but allows CDN for FREE and just slapping a server address behind a cname or A record in a FREE Cloudflare account enables CDN with no data limit. :unsure::cool:
I have found some IPTV addresses -- they don't work as expected :'(

cavedog

Honorary Master
Well google is doing a much better job actually. 4k 90gb file streams from my google enterprise drive with Telkom lit box and kodi with the gdrive addon.

It's a real bandwidth hog but het that is what 200Mbps line is for right.

4K remux releases. Completely uncompressed 4k is probably not do able over internet.

Last edited:

cavedog

Honorary Master
@waylander

Today it's JHB time for cloudflare :)

Code:
Tracing route to badboxx.ml [104.27.155.42]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1    <1 ms    <1 ms    <1 ms  192.168.0.1
  2     *        *        *     Request timed out.
  3     5 ms     5 ms     5 ms  ipc-recieve-jh-3a.za.mtnbusiness.net [41.181.178.29]
  4     5 ms     5 ms     5 ms  41.181.178.30
  5     7 ms     6 ms     6 ms  rb-dca-2.za--rb-cr-1.mtnns.net [196.44.31.122]
  6     9 ms     7 ms     7 ms  196.44.29.204
  7     6 ms     5 ms     5 ms  196.44.29.97
  8     6 ms     6 ms     6 ms  cloudflare.ixp.joburg [196.60.8.198]
  9     6 ms     6 ms     6 ms  104.27.155.42

Trace complete.