Club rugby player on life support after dangerous tackle

DanDango

Executive Member
Club rugby player on life support after dangerous tackle
https://www.sport24.co.za/Rugby/club-rugby-player-on-life-support-after-dangerous-tackle-20180919

Cape Town - A 31-year-old man has been left on life support in Cape Town after being injured in a club rugby match over the weekend.

Kyle Barnes, a wing for Goodwood Rugby Club's first XV, was the victim of a tackle that has left him with a life-threatening neck and head injury.

The father-of-two underwent surgery to alleviate the swelling on his brain, but on Tuesday he was declared brain dead.

Johann Vorster, chairperson of Goodwood Rugby Club, told Sport24 that Barnes was still technically alive on Wednesday morning.

Vorster was on his way to visit Barnes in the hospital, and he said he would provide an update on his condition later in the day.

"It's just a terrible, tragic situation," he said.

Barnes is a father to twins, who turn eight on Thursday

badtrev

I'm friends with some guys that know him so there were messages on Facebook about his condition and so on.

LCBXX

Honorary Master
It is not uncommon for serious injuries to occur at club level.

Charlie21

Fark me that's sad! Sorry for your loss :(
Thanks , he's been playing rugby since school days. Played for a number of clubs in Cape Town eg Goodwood Club, NTK, Tyberberg, Primrose to name a few

It is not uncommon for serious injuries to occur at club level.
Yes, apparently when he fainted (he got a severe stroke) the referee played on. And there was no ambulance at the field.

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
Thanks , he's been playing rugby since school days. Played for a number of clubs in Cape Town eg Goodwood Club, NTK, Tyberberg, Primrose to name a few

Yes, apparently when he fainted (he got a severe stroke) the referee played on. And there was no ambulance at the field.
No ambulance, this must be taken up with Strand United's board committee and match secretary. WPRU and WP Refs policies apply.

garp

Executive Member
So tragic and traumatic when someone in this situation is still technically alive leaving the family to make the decision.

On another note, what kind of journalist refers to being declared brain dead as a "life threatening head injury"? Who writes this rubbish?

Charlie21

No ambulance, this must be taken up with Strand United's board committee and match secretary. WPRU and WP Refs policies apply.
Yeah, if that is the case it will definitely be taken up with the authorities whom may be. But like I said I can't confirm such, I was told by a friend will get more details regarding that.

The machines were put off this morning, on his twins 8th birthday, as they donating his organs and had to ensure the flights were in place to take his organs away.

Sad day indeed

eg2505

Honorary Master
RIP,

rugby noob here,

Im surprised such serious injuries are not more common,