CNN story re: crimexposouthafrica.co.za

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gaz{M}

Expert Member
...and now its a race issue. Well done.

"wealthy white minority"

So just because newspapers cover rich white people getting killed it must somehow not be reported? If a wealthy, influencial non-white citizen or tourist is killed, they will also be frontpage. Crime affects everyone, regardless of income, race or gender. What utter rubbish are they talking about?

Chris_the_Brit

High Tory
wealthy white minority.
There they used it again - I wonder what Tibby and Co. have to say about this. Most poor people in any country don't get into newspapers whether they be it black/white/pink/green/purple etc. It just so happens that the proportion of being white and wealthy in SA is higher than being black and wealthy.

swordfish1

Expert Member
Gaz{M} said:

"wealthy white minority"

So just because newspapers cover rich white people getting killed it must somehow not be reported? If a wealthy, influencial non-white citizen or tourist is killed, they will also be frontpage. Crime affects everyone, regardless of income, race or gender. What utter rubbish are they talking about?
lol, rather than "wealthy black majority" :D

they are correct, every time an S-class merc or new 7 series BMW passes by, have a look inside, it is almost always black people, so I can conclude that there are many more wealthy black people than white once, hence the CNN statement is correct :D

BTTB

Journalism at it's best

Police officials concede that crime is a problem but often blame the media for sensationalizing incidents, particularly when they involve the wealthy white minority
Cough, splutter, choke...:confused:
Sort of gives the impression that all white people are wealthy?
That statement will have repercussions IMHO.

People other than South Africans will assume that only white people moan about crime, which is an untruth.
Poorer people and people from other race groups are equally annoyed about the situation.

Sensationalist journalism we have to endure nowadays gives a skewed view on the website.

How about reporting that due to an increased level of crime, South African citizens have had enough and have created an on-line cemetery and crime reporting website to record the events happening daily in their country, with the hope that pressure on Government will open their eyes to actually do something about the matter before it is too late, not only for the safety of South Africa's citizens which is Government function, but also to show the international community that crime like many other places across the globe is also prevalent in South Africa.
Whether this will encourage Government to do something is not clear as Government is thick skinned when told the facts and the officials themselves live in relative luxury and security and probably are oblivious to the actual crime ravaging the country.
Sort of if I am OK, everyone should be too?
swordfish1 said:
lol, rather than "wealthy black majority" :D

they are correct, every time an S-class merc or new 7 series BMW passes by, have a look inside, it is almost always black people, so I can conclude that there are many more wealthy black people than white once, hence the CNN statement is correct :D
Ditto :rolleyes:

Last edited:

killadoob

Honorary Master
finally something is being done

i dont want those poor ppl to come to this country in 2010 because their families are going to suffer loss and rape and violent crime

down with 2010 world cup until they start sorting out the crime

watch how many police you will see if 2010 happens, protecting the visitors

great

THEY DONT PROTECT THE PPL WHO ACTUALLY LIVE HERE!!!!!!!!!

swordfish
there are more wealthy whites than blacks get real buddie

and if i am wrong think about why there are more wealthy blacks
does a 9 to 1 ratio ring a bell?

Last edited:

BTTB

killadoob said:
THEY DONT PROTECT THE PPL WHO ACTUALLY LIVE HERE!!!!!!!!!
To add:
This is a good point.

Government may throw billions on securing and protecting the 2010 World Cup, but what about now? Are we not good enough?
Set a standard of Governance, whether the country hosts the World Cup or not. Never a better time than the present.

We cannot just depend on our Police Force to solve crime in South Africa as there are external forces here at play as well.
One thing to have law abiding SA Citizens, but are the illegal immigrants on the same wavelength? I think not.
Latest killing of 4 policeman in Gauteng we hear was not locals, but Zimbabweans with Military Training?

When I talk to my staff they claim they are sick and tired of all the foreigners in their suburbs that have no specific reason to be here other than to squat, hoping for something better than from whence they came.

Newyork

why doesn't this guy put google ads on his page reap the rewards from the amount of visitors he's going to get from CNN. Imagine those CTR's!

telkomsuig

Expert Member
Note to all tourists for the world cup it is south african goverment policy if you complain about the crime in the country you should leave. If you want to watch the final before being deported don't complain...

kaspaas

Expert Member
Are'nt most murders and rapes committed in the squattercamp areas?

Problem is that the poor don't count or the journos as the murder of a nameless poor does not sell papers. And anyway, why would any average journo take the risk visiting such areas?

If there are too many murders & rapes already in the socalled white areas, have pity for the poor guys!

If policing is already pathetic with a police station less than 5 km away with excellent roads, what policing will there be in the poor areas where roads are a dissaster!

RichardP

Banned
Gaz{M} said:

"wealthy white minority"

Another broken telephone....
You are quoting out of context... an example of media hype is Mr Kebble .. Who was he when he was alive ?

Police officials concede that crime is a problem but often blame the media for sensationalizing incidents, particularly when they involve the wealthy white minority.

stepper

Expert Member
While I would like to agree that there is crime in this country and its prevelance will still continue. Then, my question is : why was this not done when we bid for Cape Town 2004 Olympics, hosted 95 Rugby World Cup, 2003 Cricket World Cup, 2000 WSD Conference and 96 Afcon Cup.

Calico182

Expert Member
Newyork said:
why doesn't this guy put google ads on his page reap the rewards from the amount of visitors he's going to get from CNN. Imagine those CTR's!
adsense will fall over trying to find relevant ads for the content of the site :)

telkomsuig

Expert Member
stepper said:
While I would like to agree that there is crime in this country and its prevelance will still continue. Then, my question is : why was this not done when we bid for Cape Town 2004 Olympics, hosted 95 Rugby World Cup, 2003 Cricket World Cup, 2000 WSD Conference and 96 Afcon Cup.
Goverment have had enough time to sort out the crime problem. The time is right for the website now.

killadoob

Honorary Master
stepper said:

all those are small fry

did we get between 1-3 million tourist for any of those comps?

no we didnt get even close to that

there is nothing in the world bigger than a world cup of soccer :)

dont put the world cup of soccer and those in the same sentence :)

MaD

Expert Member
Personally I don't see a problem at all with the site.

It's every tourist's right to know to what extent their life could be in danger when visiting this country and in what elaborate ways they could be departing from this life.

kaspaas

Expert Member
I heard a figure that around 70 soccer fans won't return home in 2010 extrapolated on current murder rates.

Angelo

Expert Member
killadoob said:
all those are small fry

Are you saying the visitors who are coming here for the Soccer World Cup will be in greater danger because they are more as opposed to those who visited for the Rugby WC and Cricket WC? Your logic is flawed.

If this was call was not for Political reasons then we should have heard similar calls before the Cricket and Rugby World Cups

stepper

Expert Member
killadoob said:
all those are small fry

I didnt compare the magnitude of those events, I was just asking, why there were no concerns raised for people who visited those events like its happening for the upcoming soccer world cup.

Status
Not open for further replies.