CNN story re: crimexposouthafrica.co.za

Status
Not open for further replies.

nocilah

Banned
i am surprised no one has questioned why the website exists. ag shame the website is destroying the facade of sunny sa.

that website has been the most effective that i have seen in getting people thinking about the situation, and if tourists don't flock here because of it then good, they shouldnt because it is unsafe.

The website creates as much negative awareness of south africa as those tourists who have come here and have experienced crime first hand.

do yourself a favour and read the tourism brochures about our country created by our country for tourists. Just as negative as the website in question. IE do not stop your car on highways, do not give lifts, do not TRUST anybody.

If this website prevents one person from dying because of crime then Neil has been successful.

I love how people love to put image, silly sporting events above human life, just as pathetic as the criminals who take it.

This country is unsafe, whether you like it or not we live in a crime ridden country. If you dont like it create a website opposing it.

hj2k_x

Honorary Master
halicon said:
i am surprised no one has questioned why the website exists. ag shame the website is destroying the facade of sunny sa.
I strongly question why it exists. Can you tell me?

nocilah

Banned
hj2k_x said:
I strongly question why it exists. Can you tell me?
Stop over at the site cuz I aint gonna repeat what has already been said and I think the author of the site sums it up pretty well.

Highflyer_GP

Honorary Master
halicon said:
Stop over at the site cuz I aint gonna repeat what has already been said and I think the author of the site sums it up pretty well.
No need to explain yourself, I think this quite about sums it up:

http://mybroadband.co.za/vb/showpost.php?p=590552&postcount=72

R3 per sms, and all images sourced from africancrisis.org and ogrish.com

Yup he's really out to save the country. Pity it's all his supporters who need saving.

nocilah

Banned
Highflyer_GP said:
R3 per sms, and all images sourced from africancrisis.org and ogrish.com
There are not graphic or ripped images on the site that i can find unless people submitting stuff via email are the culprits.

As for R3 per SMS the company running the system get that money, he prolly gets 10-20c an sms.

So um... whats your point? People are complaining about his disinformative site but you are using the same disinformative information to argue this? :confused:

I will stick with Neil on this one he is doing something constructive.

Highflyer_GP

Honorary Master
halicon said:
I will stick with Neil on this one he is doing something constructive.
Go ahead, just remember you don't know this guy from a bar of soap. If you call this constructive, then I can't say that you don't deserve whatever may be coming your way (either directly or indirectly via his actions).

Angelo

Expert Member
diabolus said:
I think this is EXACTLY what the site is doing...what else would it be doing? How do you expose these things "internationally" without the obvious tourism hit?
And while you are at it warn the ignorant Bill Gates and Glasgow Rangers to get out of here before they get murdered, don't forget Manchester United who arrive in SA in 2 days time. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

kilo39

Executive Member
Angelo said:
And while you are at it warn the ignorant Bill Gates and Glasgow Rangers to get out of here before they get murdered, don't forget Manchester United who arrive in SA in 2 days time. :rolleyes:
It's a jungle out here, visitors to SA told
July 06 2006

Tourists looking for information about South Africa on the websites of their countries' embassies will find all sorts of warnings.

The Australian embassy is most concerned about crime in South Africa, warning travellers about displaying valuable items. Jewellery and money should be hidden, tourists are advised, as the roads going into the Kruger Park have been the site of violent crimes such as murder, rape, robbery and carjacking.

'Inconsiderate driving fashion' of minibus taxis
The Australian embassy even encourages safe sex and details South Africa's HIV and Aids statistics as a warning.

Britain warns that tourists should be careful no matter where they are, but reassures its nationals that most crime takes place in isolated areas away from the popular tourist destinations.

-
None so blind as those who will not see.

hj2k_x

Honorary Master
halicon said:
Done that, mate. I just dont see the point of it. What is it meant to achieve? Scare away tourists unnecessarily and thereby a large part of SA's GDP? Well, that is just great. Do you really think that this site is what SA needs right now or ever??

kilo39

Executive Member
hj2k_x said:
Done that, mate. I just dont see the point of it. What is it meant to achieve? Scare away tourists unnecessarily and thereby a large part of SA's GDP? Well, that is just great. Do you really think that this site is what SA needs right now or ever??
Maybe you should speak to the embassies at the same time - why are they trying to discourage tourism in SA?

hj2k_x

Honorary Master
kilo39 said:
Maybe you should speak to the embassies at the same time - why are they trying to discourage tourism in SA?
So you think that rather than tackling issues in this country we should just shut up shop and tell people not to come here?

I posted the link for the crime exposure website on another forum on 06/07/2006. I raised a query about the pictures that he does have (or rather had) under the various provinces. Well, someone recognised the picture posted under Limpopo and guess what? It was actually taken from rotten.com and is not a picture of a genuine SA crime scene. If it cannot be truthful in such a tiny aspect of fighting crime how can we honestly take anything that website says seriously. And what else he not lying about?

I subsequently went back to the on 07/07/2006 to have a look and it's been removed. There are no pics there that I can see and the website's also changed since yesterday. Interesting…. On the 10/07/2006 I went back and saw more pictures and discovered the same thing. One picture is genuine and the others? Clipart taken from other websites.

This website might drive investors from South Africa but what is its real purpose? Yes, violent crime is a reality but how will this disgusting, insensitive, garish, vulgar, cynical and sensationalist display help reduce crime in our country? Will it rehabilitate criminal behavior? Will it convince would be criminals to desist from crime? Will it increase the amount of law enforcement agents? Will it reduce corruption? Will it raise education standards? Will it feed hungry mouths?

If it can do these things or affect these changes, then it will have my support but based on such an untruthful start I doubt it. If Neil Watson finds it so easy to lie by using pics stolen from another website how can we trust anything else he says? Shame on him for lying - he's no better than those he is trying to show up.

However hard I try I can’t escape the fact that Neil Watson has admitted that neither he nor his family has been a victim of crime. How sincere are his intention then? If he had a true idea of the horror would he have approached this subject so flippantly? Why flippant? If you had a look at the “10 TIPS FOR TOURISTS” that appeared on the right hand side of the page. (You couldn’t miss it – it was right under the block selling now taken advertising space) you see why.

Those are horrible crimes – not a tool to sell a website.

His arrogant and condescending replies and dismissal of his non politician detractors who have taken him to task for his blatantly unpatriotic actions share many similarities with a certain cabinet minister who told the whingers and whiners of SA to “shut up or ship out” (basically). The insurance broker from Camps Bay also would also appear to have a vested interest as he is in an industry which would benefit handsomely from this type of fear mongering. And just exactly how much crime does occur in CAMPS BAY?

Drive investors away from this country and who suffers? The people who would have gained employment from such enterprises as would invest here. The jobless, homeless and the illiterate who’s comfort at night is a zinc plate shack – not a house in Camps Bay. We should also not forget that the people who most suffer from violence and violent acts in South Africa are not those who have raised their voices on Mr. Watson’s site. The victims of crime on the Cape Flats, in the squatter camps and other impoverished and violence struck areas are too busy trying to keep alive to log on to the internet and complain and, in most cases, many of these people do not have access to this technology. So who does this website speak for beside the bourgeoisie (black, coloured or white) who sit behind their fenced-in homes in security complexes?

What about the 8 million people across the globe who die from hunger every year? And those in SA who form almost half our population who don’t have something to eat at night, who only have ONE meal a day? How does this help them? Does it protect them? And does it rectify the other factors which help grow crime? No.

Neil Watson’s website looks more like a way to get HIS point across more than a genuine means to actually help the victims of crime and a way to solve the crime problem in South Africa. He seems more inclined to bury South Africa than actually helping it overcome a very serious problem.

What we need is a website like http://www.chicagocrime.org/ which contains actual data and statistics – enough to make it a genuinely useful tool. It’s also devoid of advertising and browsing through it you will notice the distinct lack of country bashing, discouragement of business or attempts to hurt the country.

hj2k_x

Honorary Master
infectious agent said:
I posted the link for the crime exposure website on another forum on 06/07/2006. I raised a query about the pictures that he does have (or rather had) under the various provinces. Well, someone recognised the picture posted under Limpopo and guess what? It was actually taken from rotten.com and is not a picture of a genuine SA crime scene. If it cannot be truthful in such a tiny aspect of fighting crime how can we honestly take anything that website says seriously. And what else he not lying about?

I subsequently went back to the on 07/07/2006 to have a look and it's been removed. There are no pics there that I can see and the website's also changed since yesterday. Interesting…. On the 10/07/2006 I went back and saw more pictures and discovered the same thing. One picture is genuine and the others? Clipart taken from other websites.

This website might drive investors from South Africa but what is its real purpose? Yes, violent crime is a reality but how will this disgusting, insensitive, garish, vulgar, cynical and sensationalist display help reduce crime in our country? Will it rehabilitate criminal behavior? Will it convince would be criminals to desist from crime? Will it increase the amount of law enforcement agents? Will it reduce corruption? Will it raise education standards? Will it feed hungry mouths?

If it can do these things or affect these changes, then it will have my support but based on such an untruthful start I doubt it. If Neil Watson finds it so easy to lie by using pics stolen from another website how can we trust anything else he says? Shame on him for lying - he's no better than those he is trying to show up.

However hard I try I can’t escape the fact that Neil Watson has admitted that neither he nor his family has been a victim of crime. How sincere are his intention then? If he had a true idea of the horror would he have approached this subject so flippantly? Why flippant? If you had a look at the “10 TIPS FOR TOURISTS” that appeared on the right hand side of the page. (You couldn’t miss it – it was right under the block selling now taken advertising space) you see why.

Those are horrible crimes – not a tool to sell a website.

His arrogant and condescending replies and dismissal of his non politician detractors who have taken him to task for his blatantly unpatriotic actions share many similarities with a certain cabinet minister who told the whingers and whiners of SA to “shut up or ship out” (basically). The insurance broker from Camps Bay also would also appear to have a vested interest as he is in an industry which would benefit handsomely from this type of fear mongering. And just exactly how much crime does occur in CAMPS BAY?

Drive investors away from this country and who suffers? The people who would have gained employment from such enterprises as would invest here. The jobless, homeless and the illiterate who’s comfort at night is a zinc plate shack – not a house in Camps Bay. We should also not forget that the people who most suffer from violence and violent acts in South Africa are not those who have raised their voices on Mr. Watson’s site. The victims of crime on the Cape Flats, in the squatter camps and other impoverished and violence struck areas are too busy trying to keep alive to log on to the internet and complain and, in most cases, many of these people do not have access to this technology. So who does this website speak for beside the bourgeoisie (black, coloured or white) who sit behind their fenced-in homes in security complexes?

What about the 8 million people across the globe who die from hunger every year? And those in SA who form almost half our population who don’t have something to eat at night, who only have ONE meal a day? How does this help them? Does it protect them? And does it rectify the other factors which help grow crime? No.

Neil Watson’s website looks more like a way to get HIS point across more than a genuine means to actually help the victims of crime and a way to solve the crime problem in South Africa. He seems more inclined to bury South Africa than actually helping it overcome a very serious problem.

What we need is a website like http://www.chicagocrime.org/ which contains actual data and statistics – enough to make it a genuinely useful tool. It’s also devoid of advertising and browsing through it you will notice the distinct lack of country bashing, discouragement of business or attempts to hurt the country.
At last. Thank you.

Waron

infectious agent said:

I subsequently went back to the on 07/07/2006 to have a look and it's been removed. There are no pics there that I can see and the website's also changed since yesterday. Interesting…. On the 10/07/2006 I went back and saw more pictures and discovered the same thing. One picture is genuine and the others? Clipart taken from other websites...
If Neil Watson has posted graphic pictures from other websites and falsely labelled them as South African crime scenes then I think he is capable of fabricating a whole lot more.

Personally, I don't see a former politician and a formenr head of state contacting him on the phone to encourage him or 15 local and international radion and telvision interview offers. Or multiple death threats before he has even lauched his website. Who were these death threats from? Bed and Breakfasts, Tourism association? I can't even say with any certainty if the stories or letters on his website are real, some may be, but some probably are not.

Surely if his attempt to undermine the tourism industry did succeed, he would be liable for the damage caused? Particularly if he has fabricated information? Oprah said very innocently "I wouln't eat meat" and got sued by the meat industy (sure America is different) but this is a blatent attempt to damage SA tourism.

Last edited:

kilo39

Executive Member
hj2k_x said:
So you think that rather than tackling issues in this country we should just shut up shop and tell people not to come here?
I really wish we were "tackling issues in this country" - instead of blaming apartheid and glorifying "their great victory".

And hj2k_x - is it really necessary to quote all the text - directly under the original? Last I looked we still lived in SA - not Korea!

And I agree - if watson can't post originals then he is lying like the rest.

(I am proud to say I have yet to visit his website - won't grace him with my traffic.)

RichardP

Banned
halicon said:

that website has been the most effective that i have seen in getting people thinking about the situation, and if tourists don't flock here because of it then good, they shouldnt because it is unsafe.

The website creates as much negative awareness of south africa as those tourists who have come here and have experienced crime first hand.

do yourself a favour and read the tourism brochures about our country created by our country for tourists. Just as negative as the website in question. IE do not stop your car on highways, do not give lifts, do not TRUST anybody.

If this website prevents one person from dying because of crime then Neil has been successful.

I love how people love to put image, silly sporting events above human life, just as pathetic as the criminals who take it.

This country is unsafe, whether you like it or not we live in a crime ridden country. If you dont like it create a website opposing it.

its also causing people to leave SA ... never mind flocking here! .. I WAS confident in SA, but now all I see are politicians trying to justify 20 000 dead people per year.

kilo39

Executive Member
RichardP said:
its also causing people to leave SA ... never mind flocking here! .. I WAS confident in SA, but now all I see are politicians trying to justify 20 000 dead people per year.
Pity its not 20 000 - more like 100 000 when you add it all up: road deaths, murders, death by circumcision etc.

hj2k_x

Honorary Master
kilo39 said:
And hj2k_x - is it really necessary to quote all the text - directly under the original? Last I looked we still lived in SA - not Korea!
:rolleyes:

nocilah

Banned
Highflyer_GP said:
...then I can't say that you don't deserve whatever may be coming your way (either directly or indirectly via his actions).
is it me or are south africans still under the perception that one is not allowed to ruffle the feathers of politicians based on the dictators we had in the past in fear of something BAD happening?

we live in a democratic country. deal with it already. and get in the democratic way of thinking.

and i will stick with it because a human life is far more important then a countries image or a silly sporting event.

unless you think murder should be hidden.

Status
Not open for further replies.