CNN sues President Trump and top White House aides for barring Jim Acosta

BBSA

Honorary Master
CNN has filed a lawsuit against President Trump and several of his aides, seeking the immediate restoration of chief White House correspondent Jim Acosta's access to the White House.

The lawsuit is a response to the White House's suspension of Acosta's press pass, known as a Secret Service "hard pass," last week. The suit alleges that Acosta and CNN's First and Fifth Amendment rights are being violated by the ban.

The suit was filed in U.S. District Court in Washington, D.C. on Tuesday morning.
Both CNN and Acosta are plaintiffs in the lawsuit. There are six defendants: Trump, chief of staff John Kelly, press secretary Sarah Sanders, deputy chief of staff for communications Bill Shine, Secret Service director Randolph Alles, and the Secret Service officer who took Acosta's hard pass away last Wednesday.
The six defendants are all named because of their roles in enforcing and announcing Acosta's suspension.

https://edition.cnn.com/2018/11/13/media/cnn-sues-trump/index.html

Rabobi

Executive Member
Is this the fool who thought he could bully trump at the press conference. If so then the ban is deserved

Temujin

Executive Member
:ROFL: Entitled snowflake behaves like an entitled snowflake, gets his just deserts, and then continues to behave like an entitled snowflake :thumbsup:

Lord Farquart

Expert Member
He was being an idiot. Doesn’t matter who you are or who he is, there is protocol. Grandstanding and depriving others of a turn should get him banned for life.

Polymathic

Honorary Master
Trump is playing the media like puppets, then again he is their golden goose

BTTB

The joke will be on CNN if the court finds against them, actually as a News Agency such a ruling might be the final nail in the coffin for them.
In the mean time they have something to report about on their new channels, maybe their ratings even went up 0.1%.

Trump decided to stand as POTUS, it was his decision to enter the minefield of US politics. He doesn't make a good politician unfortunately, repeats himself constantly with the same set of expletive words over and over.
Trump takes a little getting used to, his manner and way of speaking .... I don't know anyone here in South Africa for example with his style of speech, its foreign to me. However his style and persuasiveness must get him lots of business dealings but doesn't fit the profile of what we understand as a politician and how they deal with questions and answers to the media. Trump actually prefers to talk to or lecture the media and does not like to be put on the spot with tricky questions or repetitive questions like the ones Jim Acosta likes to nag him with.

I think Trump bit off a bit more than he would like to chew by becoming POTUS but with that comes diplomacy and a strong vocabulary is needed to work your way through answers so as not to offend anyone. Its must a be difficult task to answer some of the media’s questions, like trying to answer your spouse when on those odd occasions you know that whatever answer you give your spouse is going to get you in trouble, but you have to answer. In other words, loaded questions and I think its just that .... Trump knows that many of the questions asked, especially from Jim Acosta are loaded questions and often it seems that Jim Acosta is also repetitively asking the same question to Trump at each and every occasion he gets a chance to. Like a forum Troll where the only solution is to never feed such a troll.
I watched that last video with Trump and Acosta and in my opinion Acosta was deliberately trolling Trump over what appears to be a topic that has been dealt with numerous times and Trump, possibly annoyed at the impetuous questions, took the bait. Trump should have walked out the room after Jim refused to back down, he is after-all The POTUS.

If I had to say that US politics is a joke, what could I call our policics here in South Africa, freeking hilarious.
The US is the largest economy in the world, they steer world markets and what goes on there is vitally important to everyone on this planet and why we watch US politics for instance. Its just so annoying for me that so much time is wasted with all this media hype when Trump and his team could be actually doing some work.
I used to refer to it all as "Hollywood Politics" as so much is just an act.

Arthur

Honorary Master
Much as I detest CNN and Acosta, I'd be surprised if the court finds anything other than than for the plaintiffs. Somehow I doubt there's any statute that mandates politeness to the president. Which means that the withdrawal of WH press creds can be seen as arbitrary, unreasonable and even vindictive. Rightly so, in my view.

greg0205

Honorary Master
Much as I detest CNN and Acosta, I'd be surprised if the court finds anything other than than for the plaintiffs. Somehow I doubt there's any statute that mandates politeness to the president. Which means that the withdrawal of WH press creds can be seen as arbitrary, unreasonable and even vindictive. Rightly so, in my view.
^ This, if you assume the case will ever be argued in a court of law.

By now lawyers will have advised the WH of the 1st amendment mountain they'd have to climb, but more importantly, reminded them of discovery and the imminent arrival of preservation orders related to any discussions of targeting media houses and, I'm guessing, the genesis of the, how did Kellyanne put it, oh yeah, "that's not altered, that's sped up" video SHS posted.

Realistically, the WH will quietly give Acosta his credentials back, and 45 will do something like fire John Kelly ten minutes later to change the news cycle, even in the CNN news room.

BBSA

Honorary Master
The white house should just allow him back, but then just totally ignore him. The same way one would treat a troll.

Aquila ka Hecate

Executive Member
Frankly, I think the press would be better off totally ignoring the big orange turd, the same way one would treat a big orange troll.

yebocan

Honorary Master
You spot on, civility use to be part and parcel of the presidency...thanks to game changer Trump, that is no longer the case. You can not change the decorum of discourse for the worst and play the old victim card, when you get slapped with robust questioning...Question in law will be, did Trump and his WH encroach on Constitutional guaranteed rights....and not on politeness