Coal-Reliant South Africa Is Turning to Gas Power

Lupus

Honorary Master
Well they are doing whats best, for their back pockets for right now... fsck the future.
Oh we know that, but damn the masses still seem to think they are doing good. Heck there are people within said masses who still worship Zuma. I mean this might be the problem with Africa in general, this sense of the chief is right.

Yskasmetnstoof

Won't be long before generating power by burning gas will result in economic isolation. Gwede should wake up.

grok

Honorary Master
With Mantashe asleep at the wheel we should've just stuck with Zuma's nuclear takeover plan the effects will be the same.. <little victory song & dance> Viva!

system32

Expert Member
So what would we have as a baseload? Nuclear? Coal? Remember you cannot have renewables as a baseload as it's non-dispatchable and you cannot rely on it for a consistent base.
distributed renewable + CSP + some storage (pumped hydro, batteries) + some gas + some hydro + some imports (Cahora Bassa) seems like a plan.

ToxicBunny

Oi! Leave me out of this...
With Mantashe asleep at the wheel we should've just stuck with Zuma's nuclear takeover plan the effects will be the same.. <little victory song & dance> Viva!

Mantashe isn't asleep at the wheel, far from it. He's actively fscking us over on the energy future of this country with his backwards views and attempts to protect the workers in the older forms of power generation.

Lupus

Honorary Master
distributed renewable + CSP + some storage (pumped hydro, batteries) + some gas + some hydro + some imports (Cahora Bassa) seems like a plan.
@Iwojima here is one who thinks pumped hydro in SA could work... I mean it's like we have tons of water in South Afria.

Iwojima

Expert Member
@Iwojima here is one who thinks pumped hydro in SA could work... I mean it's like we have tons of water in South Afria.
Oh, I've heard and seen it all before from this particular member. All the buzzwords, zero understanding of practical implementation.

Oldfut

There are some (smallish) opportunities, particularly in KZN and Mpumalanga, maybe E Cape. My partner and I, old futs both, worked on a few over the years. Truly viable but government bumbling and corruption (BEE) put paid to them.

ToxicBunny

Oi! Leave me out of this...
There are some (smallish) opportunities, particularly in KZN and Mpumalanga, maybe E Cape. My partner and I, old futs both, worked on a few over the years. Truly viable but government bumbling and corruption (BEE) put paid to them.
Thats the issue though, they're smallish.. And aren't really suited for large scale base load we'd need.
It's probably possible to scale things up but it would require huge infrastructure works and significantly altering our landscape in areas.

system32

Expert Member

@Iwojima
Oh, I've heard and seen it all before from this particular member. All the buzzwords, zero understanding of practical implementation.
Pumped hydro systems that work in SA:
Pumped hydro don't require a lot of water, they just recycle water between a lower and upper dam.

Last edited:

Iwojima

Expert Member
You're missing the point entirely.

The above has a limited generation capacity at any given time. You could continually recycle water from the lower and upper dams using a renewable such as solar and you would still not have enough capacity to make a dent in our energy needs when we need it most.

SA, not being a water rich country, has little to no additional opportunities for additional pump sites. If we did then utilizing excess solar to ensure that these additional sites are "topped up" for when the sun goes down would see us in a better situation.

Note that I'm not saying we shouldnt utilize solar in combination with existing pumped storage to avoid more costly sources of energy to pump from the lower to upper dams, but this not a silver bullet on its own.

TLDR: There is not enough pumped storage or opportunities to build more.

Last edited:

system32

Expert Member
You're missing the point entirely.

<SNIP>

TLDR: There is not enough pumped storage or opportunities to build more.
Not stating that pumped hydro is the only solution.
It's part of the solution - "distributed renewable + CSP + some storage (pumped hydro, batteries) + some gas + some hydro + some imports (Cahora Bassa)."

The idea is to minimise/eliminate non-renewables sources.

“Base load” power: a myth used to defend the fossil fuel industry
https://interestingengineering.com/renewable-energy-baseload-power-fallacy

Renewable energy: The baseload power fallacy
https://interestingengineering.com/renewable-energy-baseload-power-fallacy

Iwojima

Expert Member
Not stating that pumped hydro is the only solution.
It's part of the solution - "distributed renewable + CSP + some storage (pumped hydro, batteries) + some gas + some hydro + some imports (Cahora Bassa)."

The idea is to minimise/eliminate non-renewables sources.
1) Gas is not a renewable.
2) Agreed on minimizing the need for non-renewables. Elimination? Not likely in our context.