Coca-Cola lost $4 billion in market value after soccer star Cristiano Ronaldo suggested people drink water instead

BBSA

Honorary Master
The soccer superstar Cristiano Ronaldo's gesture at a Euro 2020 press conference on Monday wiped $4 billion off Coca-Cola's market value.

Ronaldo, sat beside Portugal manager Fernando Santos ahead of his team's match against Hungary, irritably set aside two bottles of Coke, then picked up a bottle of water and said, "Água!" — the Portuguese word for water.

Coca-Cola's shares, which had opened at about $56.17, had fallen by 1.6%, to $55.22, by the end of the press conference. Its market value dropped by $4 billion, to $238 billion from $242 billion. The soft-drink manufacturer's shares continued to slide on Tuesday, falling by 0.3%.

Shares in one of the largest bottlers of the drink, Coca-Cola Bottling, fell by 4% on Monday. It's down by 8% in the past week.

20210617_164752.jpg

cn@

Expert Member
Well, Coca-Cola is poison. The sugar is killing us slowly, yet deliberately.

Unfortunately Brandy and Coca-cola is so damn lekker.

Yes-yes, the brandy also contributes to ****ing up your liver.

neoprema

Executive Member
Well, Coca-Cola is poison. The sugar is killing us slowly, yet deliberately.

Unfortunately Brandy and Coca-cola is so damn lekker.

Yes-yes, the brandy also contributes to ****ing up your liver.
I drink coke 3x a week. But haven't had coke with sugar since 15 years ago

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
Unless Ronaldo is obligated to endorse Coca-Cola I don't see the issue here.

Água!
They're a major sponsor of the tournament so I'd imagine he's obliged not to disparage the brand.

CataclysmZA

Executive Member
I could be mistaken, doesn’t Ronaldo have allegiance with Pepsi ?
He hates, vehemently, any kind of fizzy cooldrink.

Edit: Of course, that doesn't explain everything else, like his Herbalife sponsorship and endorsement.

Coca-Cola Co. can try to sue, but there's no way they can prove that this single soccer player cost them $4bn in stock value. It's simply too implausible.

Temujin

Honorary Master
Shem... maybe they should do some more 'be less white' training and run some blm promos to get the money back

maumau

Honorary Master
Jesus, does he even work during the day then? Seems all he does is eat and sleep.... No wonder he does not care about his sponsors. They should kick him in the balls and let him learn a valuable lesson.

... and play soccer and look GORGEOUS :love::love::love::love::love:

Speedster

Honorary Master
Jesus, does he even work during the day then? Seems all he does is eat and sleep.... No wonder he does not care about his sponsors. They should kick him in the balls and let him learn a valuable lesson.
These aren't his sponsors