Cockroaches

Venomous

Honorary Master
Probably the reason I have billions now...
Nope. They release an egg "capsule"

While there is a good chance you might smash that, as long as you clean up all the mess the eggs are gone.

As a kid in Durban, growing up, my mom use to use cockroach blocks.
Roaches eat it and die, also seem to recall it renders eggs infertile.

Someone recently mentioned they still sell them.
Tried finding them in joburg. No luck so far.

alqassam

Expert Member
I have A serious cricket infestation.

Killing about 15 to 20 a night and the noise driving me insane.

Have seen adults, teens and babies.

Best way to nuke these sobs?

Venomous

Honorary Master
I have A serious cricket infestation.

Killing about 15 to 20 a night and the noise driving me insane.

Have seen adults, teens and babies.

Best way to nuke these sobs?
Level ground?

If so then I've heard (very soapy. Like hand wash powder soap) soapy water drives them out. Obviously not of much use on uneven ground as you need lots of water.

You then need to be ready to kill/catch them as they come out.

There are poisons for them, but I've used none.

yebocan

Executive Member
Get a paste with boric acid (PnP, Checkers etc). Spread it thin where wall meets floor and under appliances (microwave).

They can't build a resistance to boric acid.

Very effective and very cheap.
Even cheaper = Borax + cocked potato , make mixture...and drop paste all around the house.

yebocan

Executive Member
Purchased new place, got an exterminator in...sprayed the whole place. Couple days later... started seeing the massive BOSS type ****ers popping up in the garage. Went to BuildersWarehouse..purchased a general pesticide , loaded up the old garden sprayer. Open up all possible places they might be hiding...their primary hiding/breeding places were the drains..saturated these localities. For the next few days, found partly/completely dead insects. Nothing since then.

RaptorSA

Expert Member
Had the same issue as you years ago. Been panicking when I see one ever since. Also saw them when turning the lights on at night, used bugspray etc. thinking the problem will die down, it doesn't.

It doesn't matter what you do or how clean your house is, a single pregnant female of the german roach variety we have locally can spawn something like 170,000 eggs. Just takes one neighbor moving in or a drain roach moving in and you're done for.

Look on the inside edges of your cupboards and washing machine, dish washer etc. You'll see tiny black spots everywhere in the dark corners... if that's the case you're in k@K china, those are eggs and they'll just keep on coming. It's also gross AF. Especially when you start seeing the teeny tiny flee sized ones crawling all over dark corners. I'll never forget discovering an old discarded feather duster on top of my kitchen cupboard waaay at the back. It was completely covered in the nastiest sticky grease I've ever seen from all the years of tiny grease droplets sticking to it from the stove underneath. When I picked up the feather duster about a hundred roaches came flying out of it. I've never been the same person since.

The way I eventually got rid of my infestation was to take out all cupboards and empty the entire kitchen, then I cleaned as much eggs and crap as I could and finally planted those roach bait traps I bought from the local Pick & Pay... miraculously it worked, took a few days though since the poison works by killing the roach in due time when it returns to the "nest", others will then feed on it's corpse and eventually die. (so also important to remove as much other sources of food while the bait traps do their work)

Last edited:

spiff

Expert Member
Out of the blue we have an infestation at our home.

We don't leave food out nor do we leave the kitchen in a state before going to bed. But as of late there are what seems like millions of these farkers running all over the kitchen when we switch the light on at night. I have now been nuking them with doom hoping the problem will disappear. But it seems like the more I kill, the more they come out.

Short of fumigating the bloody place, is there any other solution I can use in the interim?

We're not planning on going away anytime soon so I can't fumigate the place and leave it closed up for a weekend.
Get some of those screw on rubber door strips and attach them to the bottom of your kitchen / front doors or any other outside entrance door

Since I've done mine I seldom if ever get insects / flies or any other crap getting into my house.

SAguy

Expert Member
If it's the little ones check inside the electrical wall sockets. That's where they like to breed. Had the same problem a few years ago. And this is what I used to get rid of them. Still using after all these years.
https://www.game.co.za/game-za/en/All-Game-Categories/DIY-&-Auto/Lighting/Torches-&-Emergency-Lights/Pest-Magic-Ultrasonic-Insect-Repeller/p/00449198
I'm not sure if you're just lucky - put I'm pretty sure those things have been debunked by a few electricians as being useless.

MonkeysUncle

Expert Member
Had problems for years and must have sprayed hundreds of Rands away in Doom and related products - they always came back

Then I got this - apply drops of the gel around your kitchen - you see dead roaches daily for about a week and then never again - clean for the past yearView attachment 637652
100% this. About 10 years ago we lived in a flat with cockroaches everywhere. Bought Blattanex and used as described. Never saw a cockroach ever again after that. The same thing (maybe more concentrated and called something else) also used by Pest Control companies.

Attachments

Magandroid

Expert Member
I'm not sure if you're just lucky - put I'm pretty sure those things have been debunked by a few electricians as being useless.
I can only speak for myself and a friend, who also bought a set after he saw the results my units produced. In both instances the infestation (if that's the right term) of cockroaches just disappeared. At the time I bought it it was with the idea that if it doesn't work, I can always take it back after a few days. It worked and we still have it plugged in with no returning issues after all these years.

qscwbt

Expert Member
Easiest way to catch them when you see one, Mix a solution of sunlight liquid and water. fill a spray bottle. They stop where you spray them. Like magic

STS

Mafia Detective
Out of the blue we have an infestation at our home.

We don't leave food out nor do we leave the kitchen in a state before going to bed. But as of late there are what seems like millions of these farkers running all over the kitchen when we switch the light on at night. I have now been nuking them with doom hoping the problem will disappear. But it seems like the more I kill, the more they come out.

Short of fumigating the bloody place, is there any other solution I can use in the interim?

We're not planning on going away anytime soon so I can't fumigate the place and leave it closed up for a weekend.
They can go forever without food but die very quickly without water, there might be a source of water somewhere nearby or in your house that they are hanging around.

Took me forever to get rid of my infestation, I did poisons and chalks, in the end it was something as simple as wiping water off of surfaces/packing away wet dishes and putting talc/baby powder in places to dry up moisture and dry their skin out.

Even dead cockroaches can still be carrying eggs, so make sure to throw them away or bury their corpses in talc/baby powder

Grant

Honorary Master
YOU HAZ ZE GERMAN ROACHES

get about 5 sachets of this chinese mystery schit - about R5 per sachet.
dont know what is in it, but we all know the chinese dont give a fukk.
sprinkle in cupboards, under fridge, under sink - and where ever.

what you will notice around day 3 or 4, is that instead of sprinting for cover when you turn on the lights, the roaches wander around gormlessly - this is a glorious sign.
all this time they have been feeding on this schit and its taking it's toll.

the little furkers are cannibals too - so the dead get eaten by their mates.

by day 10 full genocide has taken place - entire colony wiped out.

you will not see another one for years.

IMG_20190328_073118.jpg

IMG_20190328_073105.jpg