• You are losing out on amazing benefits because you are not a member. Join for free. Register now.
  • Big Two-Day Giveaway - Win an Amazon Kindle, a Mystery Gadget and Branded Gear. Enter Here.
  • Test your broadband speed and win prizes worth R5,000. Enter here.

Code EB Licence

Hi all

I am about to go on holiday and I am concerned over the EB Licence code needed to tow a trailer over 750kg. I know that you need to reapply to rewrite your learners for your EB code Licence (I have a code 8).

What I want to know is if you do your learners for the EB code are you licensed to drive a trailer with this learners licence. Like a normal Code B licence you can drive for a year with a licence holder sitting next to you. Is it the same for a Code EB Licence?

Hi all

I am about to go on holiday and I am concerned over the EB Licence code needed to tow a trailer over 750kg. I know that you need to reapply to rewrite your learners for your EB code Licence (I have a code 8).

What I want to know is if you do your learners for the EB code are you licensed to drive a trailer with this learners licence. Like a normal Code B licence you can drive for a year with a licence holder sitting next to you. Is it the same for a Code EB Licence?
I would rather just go for the Code 10 or C1 license instead.

EB was just created to accommodate the older people who had licenses before the change in the codes. Just go for the C1 and you'll be fine. Alternatively a Code 14 :)

EB was just created to accommodate the older people who had licenses before the change in the codes. Just go for the C1 and you'll be fine. Alternatively a Code 14 :)
Hi, Thanks for the reply

Unfortunately I am looking for short term solution as I leave next week. This is why I want to know if I could get just the learners and be licensed. The issue is only that if I drive with the B code licence I will be uninsured but maybe if I just write the learners for the EB I will be insured. I dont have the time to do a full road test before next week.

Last edited:
Hi, Thanks for the reply

Unfortunately I am looking for short term solution as I leave next week. This is why I want to know if I could get just the learners and be licensed. The issue is only that if I drive with the B code licence I will be uninsured but maybe if I just write the learners for the EB I will be insured. I dont have the time to do a full road test before next week.
Worse case scenario you will be fined if the Traffic cop is smart enough to see the distinction between EB and B license. Most don't I'll just wing it. Worse they can do is fine you I guess. Why would you uninsured? :confused:

R13...

Honorary Master
Worse case scenario you will be fined if the Traffic cop is smart enough to see the distinction between EB and B license. Most don't I'll just wing it. Worse they can do is fine you I guess. Why would you uninsured? :confused:
I think he's saying if he's involved in an accident and found to be hauling a trailer with a licence not authorised to do so his insurance would refuse any claims.

Sinbad

Honorary Master
You said you have a code 8

Code 8s were converted to EB, not B.
Check your card?

Also, c1 is restricted to 750kg trailer. You want an ec1.

So I read on a 4x4 forum that if you get into an accident and you didn't have the EB code your insurance will deny your claim because you did not have the correct licence to be towing a trailer over 750kg.

jouda

Expert Member

Actually the C1 or code 10 does not allow you to drive car and tow a trailer with a GVM above 750. I thought so too, until I started doing some research. I have to redo my licence as well, need an EB too :( My biggest issue is not getting a fine, it is having to deal with the insurance if something goes wrong.

See this link:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Driving_licence_in_South_Africa

eg2505

Honorary Master
You said you have a code 8

Code 8s were converted to EB, not B.
Check your card?
this^^^

most were converted, dont think it matters anymore,

maybe if you did your test later after the rules changed, mine says code 8 as well.

like [MENTION=71274]Pitbull[/MENTION] says, just wing it, doubt any traffic officer will see the difference.
when most just check your disc validity and ask you a few questions to see if your drunk.

So I read on a 4x4 forum that if you get into an accident and you didn't have the EB code your insurance will deny your claim because you did not have the correct licence to be towing a trailer over 750kg.
Guess it makes some sense. However you're not licensing your vehicle to tow 750+kg trailers or the trailer itself. You are insuring your vehicle. Maybe just double check with your insurance. I can understand them not covering the trailer or caravan, don't see how it should affect a vehicle claim. But I'm not 100% sure. You just made me aware of something.

My issue is there is no clear means to upgrade your license from the department so that should count in your favor. Unless you need to go for the code 10. Learners as an example will have you covered, but your license already covers your learners. So a student with a learners license can pull a caravan as long as there is an EB license holder in the vehicle. But you as a licensed driver can't.

Makes zero sense tbh.

jouda

Expert Member
Yeah so I only got my licence 3 years ago. I believe if you got your licence before 2000 you automatically got the EB. I didn't :|
Same boat. Its absolutely BS if you ask me. Anyway, I made my appointment to write my learners and then Ill take a few lessons before doing my EB license.

Sinbad

Honorary Master
this^^^

most were converted, dont think it matters anymore,

maybe if you did your test later after the rules changed, mine says code 8 as well.

like [MENTION=71274]Pitbull[/MENTION] says, just wing it, doubt any traffic officer will see the difference.
when most just check your disc validity and ask you a few questions to see if your drunk.
It does matter. I was questioned about a trailer with my B license. Fortunately the gvm was just under 750

Actually the C1 or code 10 does not allow you to drive car and tow a trailer with a GVM above 750. I thought so too, until I started doing some research. I have to redo my licence as well, need an EB too :( My biggest issue is not getting a fine, it is having to deal with the insurance if something goes wrong.

See this link:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Driving_licence_in_South_Africa
I have sent this question to the Underwriting department for the Company I work for as we have an insurance section too. OP actually made me aware of something I didn't know. Now you too with the C1 license :eek:

I too only have a B license and have been pulling double axel trailers with vehicles on, boats, caravans and the likes. Never actually thought of what will happen in an accident. I want to buy a Caravan now, wife has an EB license (converted) I have a code B. And she can't drive with a normal trailer not even mentioning a double axel or a Caravan :D

eg2505

Honorary Master
It does matter. I was questioned about a trailer with my B license. Fortunately the gvm was just under 750
so did the cop ask you to drive over a weighbridge? and check the weight of the trailer?

or was it one with the weight displayed on a plate somewhere?
:confused:

Sinbad

Honorary Master
so did the cop ask you to drive over a weighbridge? and check the weight of the trailer?

or was it one with the weight displayed on a plate somewhere?
:confused:
No, the trailer has an overrun brake. He assumed that it was over 750 because of that, so he asked me about it and my code B license.
So I showed the trailer disc, and he let me go.

Sinbad

Honorary Master
Before 1998.

1998 they changed to the new system. My wife got hers in 1997 (EB) now, I got mine in 1998 (B)
What grates my balls is I had an EB from 1993. I switched it to a UK license, then didn't know about the restrictions on switching back, so I had to do my SA license again in 2008.
So I have a UK license that lets me drive a tank, and a stupid SA license that doesn't let me tow a caravan.

What grates my balls is I had an EB from 1993. I switched it to a UK license, then didn't know about the restrictions on switching back, so I had to do my SA license again in 2008.
So I have a UK license that lets me drive a tank, and a stupid SA license that doesn't let me tow a caravan.
Yes, it's extremely stupid.

I would be as far as to say on your 3'rd renewal (after 10 years) just change it to EB. I can't see the difference. But then again, some people should not be towing ANYTHING, let alone a trailer heavier than 750kg :eek:

But where does one pull the line? My mother can barely drive the poor woman, but she is allowed to have a trailer in excess of 750kg :eek: