BartSimpson

any home roasters on this thread? I need to find wider variety of speciality green coffee for purchase in small batches. I roast 200g batches so generally buy 1-2kg green beans at a time. Any idea where I can buy?

Quaffee used to be happy to sell you green beans - 250gr is their smallest IIRC. Drop them a note or see if you can order from their site.

Gimli

Have had a look there thanks, but they seem very expensive. I got a reply from Sevenoaks and they confirmed they will sell in 1kg batches.

Wide

any home roasters on this thread? I need to find wider variety of speciality green coffee for purchase in small batches. I roast 200g batches so generally buy 1-2kg green beans at a time. Any idea where I can buy?
Pierrelotti - https://pierrelotti.co.za/collections/green-coffee-beans
RyoCoffee - https://ryocoffee.co.za/collections/raw-coffee-beans
Quafee - http://www.quaffee.co.za/product-category/green-coffee/
Coffeecompany - https://www.coffeecompany.co.za/green-coffee.html
Also worth a try to ask your local coffee roaster to sell you some green beans. They usually do but similar pricing to roasted.
Would not recommend Bru Coffee

Glad to hear sevenoaks will supply smaller batches, they only offered 60kg bags on my previous attempts

wonduhboy

Has anyone heard of beans taking a big price increase?
Was at my local roaster and he said green beans are up 50%, something about frost hitting Brazil.
I remember reading something online a while ago

RedViking

Nord of the South
Has anyone heard of beans taking a big price increase?
Was at my local roaster and he said green beans are up 50%, something about frost hitting Brazil.
I remember reading something online a while ago
Yap, local roaster was complaining. Probably going to regulate prices world wide?

Paul Kemp

Expert Member
Where can I get one of those?
No idea. Bought it used in the classifieds many years ago and I’m not so sure I’d readily recommend it to anyone. It’s real work and can’t produce many cups at a time before it’s too hot BUT it’s one of my most prized possessions that I will never sell.

shinji

[Edit] See RedViking photo above of leaf motif on coffe.

The ONLY art exceptable on a coffee (of any kind). Period.
If you draw pictures, use stencils, use syrups, write stuff etc. I will send the coffee back. The coffee cools down while 'you play with my drink'.

Yes, I am agro - got taught how to make Espresso by an Italian (a real old school bloke) at a restaurant I used to waiter at. Guiseppe and Gianfranco came from Italy to inspect the Fiat factory at Rosslyn (Pretoria) and frequented the establishment I worked at, because it was an old school, traditional Ristorante (the bloke that owned the place ran it to his mama's standards - she used to come in and inspect the dishes!).
Giuseppe showed me, in very broken English, how to make a proper Espresso - Ristretto and Lungo (NEVER ever a full cup).

Sugar in coffee is allowed - however there is such a thing as too much. A nice medium roast with a touch of sugar goes miles...

Last rant - guys drink Cappucino for breakfast, thereafter Espresso (if you can find a decent one). The other types are for women.

TL;DR - Leaf motif is good - Espresso is king - Sugar is allowed - Italians do coffee best, period.

Paul Kemp

Expert Member
@RedViking note the naked portafilter :)

@Paul Kemp very unique piece - could you maybe tell us a little more about it? What's the process of pulling a shot?
I got it as is with the naked portafilter which I’m not actually a fan of. Based on what I’ve read It’s supposed to give better crema this way but it’s messy and can often run up the handle rather than into the cup. Anyway, it’s what I have. Takes around 16g of ground coffee based on a once off measure.
Iirc I found out how to use it following instructions by a user on home barista. Once it’s up to temp I lift the handle and dump hot water into the cups to heat them up and prime. Put grind into portafilter and tamp.
Lift the handle, hold it up till it starts to drip and slowly lower lever till it is horizontal, lift it again and then pull down slowly till it’s all the way down. Used a stop watch initially to try get a feel for things for a total “pull time” of 23seconds(I think it was).
Now days it’s down to feel. No timing or anything but it always tastes good. To me.

SlinkyMike

Executive Member
I got it as is with the naked portafilter which I’m not actually a fan of. Based on what I’ve read It’s supposed to give better crema this way but it’s messy and can often run up the handle rather than into the cup. Anyway, it’s what I have. Takes around 16g of ground coffee based on a once off measure.
Iirc I found out how to use it following instructions by a user on home barista. Once it’s up to temp I lift the handle and dump hot water into the cups to heat them up and prime. Put grind into portafilter and tamp.
Lift the handle, hold it up till it starts to drip and slowly lower lever till it is horizontal, lift it again and then pull down slowly till it’s all the way down. Used a stop watch initially to try get a feel for things for a total “pull time” of 23seconds(I think it was).
Now days it’s down to feel. No timing or anything but it always tastes good. To me.
Super cool. Love this. Thanks!