Coffee shop WiFi heats up

saffakanera

Expert Member
LOL, if the coffee shops take this battle any further you will see a Mug & Bean telecomunications company and a Cappacino's ISP :D

Get a free can of imported Brazzilian coffee with every gig you buy XD

LCBXX

Honorary Master
This is already common in Europe.
Having said that, I remember someone in this forum mentioning SA was about 4-5 years behind with internet connectivity...

Ou grote

Honorary Master
When I was a Spur waiter I hated those bottomless coffee people :mad::mad:.

Having them sit at my tables and then still have to help them with their laptops will make me kill.:mad:

RichardG

Honorary Master
When I was a Spur waiter I hated those bottomless coffee people :mad::mad:.

Having them sit at my tables and then still have to help them with their laptops will make me kill.:mad:
Please do not help people with notebooks, tell them you are n00b and know nothing about technology.

In the first place, if the tip you nice good...

Ou grote

Honorary Master
Please do not help people with notebooks, tell them you are n00b and know nothing about technology.

In the first place, if the tip you nice good...
This was in the 90's that I worked there, hopefully I don't have to go back to that - ever.:)

thedude

By the way, the original product that this article refers to is http://redbutton.co.za/free-wifi-product.html, a hotspot crowd called RedButton is providing this service to the restaurants and coffee shops.

Point is, it's NOT another pay-through-your-nose hotspot offering like AlwaysOn or WirelessG, it's about the coffee shop to be able to give away free Internet but in a controlled manner. In essence this will bring the Mug&Bean et. al further away from being an ISP, not closer.

I just thought I'd bring this discussion back to the jist of the original article :p

Last edited:

vodacom3g

Vodacom Representative
A few years ago, I helped a local Cpt company set up exactly this structure, the idea being that Coffee shops can lure customers and make a little bit extra, but mostly to offer a service deemed needed or desired.

The initial uptake by Coffee shops were very good, but a trend emerged of dropping the service after about three months. Not sure if a single one of these still run the service.

Feedback from the Coffee shops indicated that it was just not worth it and it cost the shops. If they charged for the data, people would not use it and if they made it free, it got abused.

Eventually the shop had to carry the data cost of the bottomless brigade and canned it as a bad idea.

Hope this time around it works but today even more people have 3G, so I think it's actually going to be tougher. Obviously there will be spots with a captive audience (typically where tourists will be) but these are probably already well covered.

Gunny

Expert Member
Been using Mikrotik routerboards to do this.
I just hope they running redundant RADIUS servers.

vodacom3g

Vodacom Representative
Been using Mikrotik routerboards to do this.
I just hope they running redundant RADIUS servers.
Just remembered you mentioned this :)

How long have the shops you support been doing this?

Gunny

Expert Member
One has been running for a year and has never fallen over. The others all happened this year. You get 50MB in total 20 up 30 down at quiet shops and 30 total 10 up 20 down at busier shops, its free and it only allows one session per day per pc.

vodacom3g

Vodacom Representative
One has been running for a year and has never fallen over. The others all happened this year. You get 50MB in total 20 up 30 down at quiet shops and 30 total 10 up 20 down at busier shops, its free and it only allows one session per day per pc.
Don't doubt the technology. Been there, done that.

Question is more around the financial logic for the owners. Seems the shops you describe is giving it as a free service?

This is what we saw as well, even if they started out charging, they eventually move to a free service to get away from the admin but then have to fund it for very little return and eventually it closes down.