Cold Hard Truth: You Were an Atheist

CoolBug

Expert Member
It's true.

At one point in your life, like other humans and every other species that ever existed on this planet you were an atheist.

I therefore argue that if there is a default philosophical viewpoint, it is in fact Atheism until someone with enough authority and / or charisma persuades you otherwise.

Every infant on this planet is born without any dogmatic beliefs in deities.

It is only until someone tells you about these things where your mind starts believing. Usually it's your parents.

To sum up, this is one of the biggest reasons I don't see myself ever being a theist, because if someone doesn't tell you about God, you'll never know about him.

And as a skeptic, I have little faith in what I'm told by other people.

In fact, I assert that most theists are also very skeptical in many aspects of their lives, I do not think all theists see "You are the 1 millionth visitor to this site, you win 1 million dollars" and quit their job. They are skeptical. They are often skeptical about the purchases they make, the work that they do, if a theist develops an application for example, he is skeptical that it's 100% and tests for errors.

Edit just adding some definition info for clarity

Oxford Dictionary:

disbelief or lack of belief in the existence of God or gods.
http://oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/atheism?q=atheism

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/atheism?rdfrom=Atheism

atheism
(narrowly) Belief that no deities exist (sometimes, excluding other religious beliefs).  
(broadly) Rejection of belief that any deities exist (with or without a belief that no deities exist).  
(very broadly) Absence of belief that any deities exist (including absence of the concept of deities). Them tasty babies fit in this category.
(loosely, rare) Absence of belief in a particular deity, pantheon, or religious doctrine (notwithstanding belief in other deities).

Origin:

late 16th century: from French athéisme, from Greek atheos, from a- 'without' + theos 'god'

a = without
theos = god

I do believe that during the translation (from the Greek atheos) into English, putting "ism" into the word made it misleading.

It's not a belief as we all know, it's a lack.

Last edited:

TJ99

Honorary Master
Prepare to be inane'd half to death by the philoso-trolls...

You're totally right though, of course.

Hamster

Resident Rodent
It's true.

At one point in your life, like other humans and every other species that ever existed on this planet you were an atheist.

I therefore argue that if there is a default philosophical viewpoint, it is in fact Atheism until someone with enough authority and / or charisma persuades you otherwise.

Every infant on this planet is born without any dogmatic beliefs in deities.

It is only until someone tells you about these things where your mind starts believing. Usually it's your parents.

To sum up, this is one of the biggest reasons I don't see myself ever being a theist, because if someone doesn't tell you about God, you'll never know about him.

And as a skeptic, I have little faith in what I'm told by other people.

In fact, I assert that most theists are also very skeptical in many aspects of their lives, I do not think all theists see "You are the 1 millionth visitor to this site, you win 1 million dollars" and quit their job. They are skeptical. They are often skeptical about the purchases they make, the work that they do, if a theist develops an application for example, he is skeptical that it's 100% and tests for errors.
Don't you mean "uninformed"? Surely an infant needs to know about the concept of a Go....

You know what? Never mind. /care

cpu.

Expert Member
This will surely swing many religious back our way. HELL YEAH!!

mmm...
:D

TJ99

Honorary Master
Obviously unicorns..

But there is way more evidence for unicorns than deities, even babies know that.

We can at least see unicorns.
Only some of us can. And the chosen few only spread their secrets via PM.

copacetic

King of the Hippies
Depending on what your definition of atheist is, I am not sure a baby is one. In order to lack belief, you kind of have to have a belief or concept to reject in the first place. So while babies may technically be atheists in some sense, so what?

TJ99

Honorary Master
Depending on what your definition of atheist is, I am not sure a baby is one. In order to lack belief, you kind of have to have a belief or concept to reject in the first place. So while babies may technically be atheists in some sense, so what?
There's a difference between "rejecting" something and just not believing it. If you don't know about something, obviously you can't believe it exists. If you then later find out about it and don't believe it because of lack of evidence, you can be said to reject the idea. Either way you don't believe it, but only in the second case did you need to be aware of it.

Madman88

Honorary Master
This is a fail thread.

To not believe in something simply because you have no knowledge of it is not a standpoint it is simply ignorance.
Atheism is a standpoint, therefore babies cannot be atheists, democrats, or anything else other than ignorant.

CoolBug

Expert Member
This is a fail thread.
To not believe in something simply because you have no knowledge of it is not a standpoint it is simply ignorance.
Atheism is a standpoint, therefore babies cannot be atheists, democrats, or anything else other than ignorant.
Not only are they atheists, but they are edible and easily caught.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atheism

Maybe I am mistaken but footnotes 4, 5, 6 & 7 appear to disagree with you

Most inclusively, atheism is simply the absence of belief that any deities exist.[4][5][6][7]
A lack of a belief is simply that and nothing more, a lack of a belief.

If unknown tribes in the Amazon (Jungle not website) do not know of his infinitely glorious word, then they too are atheists, by definition.

I think half the problem is all the negative connotations surrounding the word Atheist.

Last edited:

Hamster

Resident Rodent
Why don't you for once actually try and engage the ideas being put forth?
Well, the first 9/10 of my post basically asks the same question that CoolBug answered. How can a baby be an atheist if he doesn't even grasp the concept yet? To me he is uninformed, but the definition says atheist.

As for me stopping halfway through: Isn't this thread the same as the Definition of an Atheist thread?

BeVonk!

Executive Member
To me an Atheist is a person who made a conscious decision not to be a Theist. A decision is involved. A baby is just ignorant until options are presented over time and a decision is made. Could be in and out of things over a lifetime.

OrbitalDawn

Ulysses Everett McGill
Well, the first 9/10 of my post basically asks the same question that CoolBug answered. How can a baby be an atheist if he doesn't even grasp the concept yet? To me he is uninformed, but the definition says atheist.
He's an atheist simply because he lacks belief, which is all that's required for atheism. As TJ99 mentioned, whether you reject belief or are uninformed, there's still not an active belief. To me this indicates how unnecessary and empty the term atheism actually is. This is why people liken it to having a specific term for people who do not believe in astrology, or for people who do not collect stamps as a hobby. We don't do this, because it's a silly way of describing people and their convictions - by the things they do not believe in, or positions they do not hold.

Calling someone a theist is useful because it points to certain beliefs the person holds to be true, and certain positions they might take. Atheists are simply people who are sceptical and unconvinced by those claims. Why do we need to have a whole new term for this? Seems unnecessary and pointless to me, at least in this day and age.

Hamster said:
As for me stopping halfway through: Isn't this thread the same as the Definition of an Atheist thread?
In the way that the usual suspects get the very basic definition wrong, time and time again? Yeah, I guess it is. :p

Catal

In this Universe with its billions of galaxies, each with billions of stars, our puny planet is
rather insignificant. Even less insignificant are its human inhabitants, which might look
like tiny ants to an outside observer.

What are the chances that those inhabitants have the correct explanation of the deeper
inner workings of the universe, of that which they cannot observe with their instruments?
What are the chances that the Bible, or the Koran correctly extend implications to
the rest of the utterly vast universe with its various manifestations of life?

We are utterly tiny, yet we are a physical manifestation of a Creative power that
brings this Universe into existence. It is an infinite Creative power, and is
experienced as ever-new joy in the hearts of blessed humans.

Dogma and blind rituals have desensitized man to the message of the holy men
and sages like Jesus. Still the tumult of your mind, meditate, and quickly behold
the Divinity of your own Self.

Where there is smoke... Why do you think religion is and has always been such
a key part of civilization, beyond our need for deeper fulfilment? There is something
to the stories, and that is the examples set by God-men who showed that
you can realize your own unity with the Creative force of this Universe.
[PM me if you want to know more]

Genesis 1:26: "God said: Let us make humankind, in our image, according to our likeness..."

John 10:33: "For a good work we stone thee not; but for blasphemy; and because that thou, being a man, makest thyself God. Jesus answered them, Is it not written in your law, I said, Ye are gods?"

Luke 17:21: "Neither shall they say, Lo here! or, lo there! for, behold, the kingdom of God is within you."

Matthew 6:33: "But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you."

buyeye

Expert Member
This thread is sooo stooopid because a baby is as much an atheist as a pig is bacon. If you don't get that then you are also soooo stoopid. :D

CoolBug

Expert Member
This thread is sooo stooopid because a baby is as much an atheist as a pig is bacon. If you don't get that then you are also soooo stoopid. :D
Well atheist includes different explanations, 1 the rejection of the concept of deities, 2 the lack of a belief in deities.

Seems to me that babies fall under the second part, so do agnostics.

Wow people really have a problem with this?

Interesting.

Last edited:

Freaksta

Expert Member
To me an Atheist is a person who made a conscious decision not to be a Theist. A decision is involved. A baby is just ignorant until options are presented over time and a decision is made. Could be in and out of things over a lifetime.
Babies can't make choices, they are often "forced" to follow what the parents follow, and yes while they can make a choice later in life, if the parents are the over religious type, they too will be brainwashed to believe the same.... Children trust the stories their parents tell them.

My main reason for not following a religion is because , if there was a god iro religious ways there should only be one religion, the only real proof is all generated by man, man is known to lie, exploit the masses, and love power.. Just not my cup of tea, everyone's going to hell because everyone believes there own stories and if you don't believe MY story you will go to hell, me ill just die and see what happens...