Collecting my new Smart ID - Home Affairs downtime issues

Goosfrabba

I started the application on Home Affairs for my passport. I have the print out and plan on going on Thursday to complete the application. Will this glitch affect me? Am I wasting my time and a leave day?

Luke7777

Executive Member
I started the application on Home Affairs for my passport. I have the print out and plan on going on Thursday to complete the application. Will this glitch affect me? Am I wasting my time and a leave day?
Best will be to phone the branch before you go and check the status. I completed my application end of Feb (after having to reschedule due to downtime), received an SMS on 6 March that it's being dispatched to the office of application (step 4 of 5) ...... and that's the last I've heard of it. Might just get in my car tomorrow and go check (ABSA Centurion)

Last edited:

DailyTech

This is nothing new.
This has been going on and on for over 4 years now.
We waited for hours and hours, and had to go back 4 times.
now Tymebank says we must go there to get our fingerprints again to enable over R40k "advanced features" !! FnKK that !!

Dan C

Honorary Master
Make sure you wear a mask.

deweyzeph

Executive Member
The problem with the smartcards, and the reason they cannot be issued manually, is because the cards have to be initialised in a special scanner before they are handed over to the person. So even though the branch physically has the card, they can't do anything if the system is down.

Petec

Expert Member
Thankfully our family got all our smart id’s and new passports sorted a good few months ago. Seems 2020 is a bottleneck compared to the awesome efficiency we experienced last year.

Carey013

I went to home affairs in Barrack Street on Monday 16/03. Chaos. First the lights weren't switching on so they called an electrician to fix them = an hour of extra waiting. Then an official announced to the front of the line that there was this "glitch" and the systems were down: they could come back on in 30 mins or never... This was then broken telephone relayed down the line. One lady in front of me explained that this was her third time coming early, only to wait a few hours for the systems to come "online", which hadn't happened yet.

I left to apply through Standard Bank. It was a breeze and their systems were working.

Maybe they could share which branches are online? It would help those, like me, who are urgently requiring out documents.

Ps. When you apply for a new passport, the old one is cancelled. So there is a gap between old and new. Shouldn't the old one be void when you receive the new one?

Luke7777

Executive Member
Best will be to phone the branch before you go and check the status. I completed my application end of Feb (after having to reschedule due to downtime), received an SMS on 6 March that it's being dispatched to the office of application (step 4 of 5) ...... and that's the last I've heard of it. Might just get in my car tomorrow and go check (ABSA Centurion)
Took a chance and went there early on Wednesday. ID card was there, system was online, in and out in 15min

Twiggles

It's ironic that OP applied for an ID card at the beginning of March. My wife applied at the Barrack Street branch for her card on the 2 March. On the 6th of March, she received a text saying that they acknowledge they received the application. Then.....nothing..... It's now the 8th of April. o_O

I'm going to take the advice of @Luke7777 and call the branch. :confused:

Luke7777

Executive Member
It's ironic that OP applied for an ID card at the beginning of March. My wife applied at the Barrack Street branch for her card on the 2 March. On the 6th of March, she received a text saying that they acknowledge they received the application. Then.....nothing..... It's now the 8th of April. o_O

I'm going to take the advice of @Luke7777 and call the branch. :confused:
I said phone to find out the status of the system (if the system is online) not whether your ID is there :) You still have to go there and find out. Although I don't think they are operating for ID collections during lockdown

Twiggles

I said phone to find out the status of the system (if the system is online) not whether your ID is there :) You still have to go there and find out. Although I don't think they are operating for ID collections during lockdown
Oh damn. :ROFL: Here I thought you were double checking that your ID card was actually at the branch. I was aware they wouldn't be operating for ID collections with this lockdown, but I wanted to know that they had actually processed the blasted thing.
Phoning to find out if the systems were up or down... eesh... I'm sure a lot of people wish they could get away with that kind of work performance! :laugh: Thank you for clarifying!