College Admissions Scandal: Actresses, Business Leaders and Other Wealthy Parents Charged

Lucas Buck

Expert Member
A teenage girl who did not play soccer magically became a star soccer recruit at Yale. Cost to her parents: $1.2 million.
A high school boy eager to enroll at the University of Southern California was falsely deemed to have a learning disability so he could take his standardized test with a complicit proctor who would make sure he got the right score. Cost to his parents: at least $50,000.
A student with no experience rowing won a spot on the U.S.C. crew team after a photograph of another person in a boat was submitted as evidence of her prowess. Her parents wired $200,000 into a special account.
In a major college admissions scandal that laid bare the elaborate lengths some wealthy parents will go to get their children into competitive American universities, federal prosecutors charged 50 people on Tuesday in a brazen scheme to buy spots in the freshman classes at Yale, Stanford and other big name schools.
Thirty-three well-heeled parents were charged in the case, including Hollywood celebrities and prominent business leaders, and prosecutors said there could be additional indictments to come.
Also implicated were top college athletic coaches, who were accused of accepting millions of dollars to help admit undeserving students to a wide variety of colleges, from the University of Texas at Austin to Wake Forest and Georgetown, by suggesting they were top athletes.

The parents included the television star Lori Loughlin and her husband, the fashion designer Mossimo Giannulli; the actress Felicity Huffman; and William E. McGlashan Jr., a partner at the private equity firm TPG, officials said...
Link

Gordon_R

Honorary Master
LOL, these lawsuits in the US are hilarious: https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-47577506

A US mother has filed a $500bn (£375bn) lawsuit against the people charged in a university admissions scandal, claiming her son was unfairly denied placement.

Jennifer Kay Toy cited the "despicable actions" of the alleged conspirators as the reason her child was not admitted to some universities he had applied to.
For reference, $500bn is more than the entire annual GDP of South Africa, with a population of 50 million people...

VernD

Executive Member
lol, idiots. Don't they know there's a *legal* way to buy your stupid kids into 'elite' colleges?
A new wing or a research lab would've been too expensive. And, usually, they have to wait a few years after the "donation" before calling in the favour. Here was a more immediate need.

jax_maxit

You're wealthy. Just teach your kids how to manage money or run the family business.
Give them a small loan of $1million and they may grow up to become the next US president.

University degrees are for us peasants trying to move up in the economic ladder. People I look up to in the tech world - Bill Gates and Zuckerberg - dropped out. IMHO you don't need university if your family is already wealthy and you don't meet entry requirements.

skimread

Executive Member
Why did that one actress pay $500K USD.

I can understand 10K USD but 500K? That just doesn't make sense

Vrotappel

Bulls fan
These are the people like DannyK who loves to tell other people what they must do.

VernD

Executive Member
The BBC has a lengthy article explaining how the scam worked: https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-47585336

Still doesn't explain why rich parents would try to get dumb kids into prestigious colleges. Networking? Career advancement? Marriage prospects? Vanity? Bragging rights?
Well, Lori Loughlin admitted that she never went to college but that she'd like her daughters to go to college and that she'd do anything to help them get there - little did we know how far she would go. Seems to me that it's more for vanity and bragging rights because the acceptance rates at these prestige colleges and universities are very low.

In other cases, it seems like the wealthy parents did this to boost their own egos and to maintain a certain image. Like, their children can't go to community colleges because they're rich. So, they game the system if their child doesn't stand a chance to get in on merit.

VernD

Executive Member

For every student who was accepted through this means, they took away the spot of a student who would have qualified on merit.

Gordon_R

Honorary Master
In other cases, it seems like the wealthy parents did this to boost their own egos and to maintain a certain image. Like, their children can't go to community colleges because they're rich. So, they game the system if their child doesn't stand a chance to get in on merit.
Yeah, like the character Penny in the Big Bang Theory, who gets mocked for going to community college. I guess Kaley Cuoco didn't need academic credentials to get rich and famous...

Lucas Buck

Expert Member
For every student who was accepted through this means, they took away the spot of a student who would have qualified on merit.

I watched the video that you posted and I'm surprised that the thought never crossed their minds that they could get caught. There were too many people involved for this to remain a secret.

lsheed_cn

Expert Member
I fail to understand how this is a scandal, this has been standard practice throughout history.

Daruk

Honorary Master
Am I right in assuming the focus is on those paying the bribes, not those receiving the bribes? At least the headlines appear to be indicating that.

Daruk

Honorary Master
You're wealthy. Just teach your kids how to manage money or run the family business.
Give them a small loan of $1million and they may grow up to become the next US president.
I'd hazard a guess that that would work with a very small percentage of wealthy folk's kids... they may not be bankrupt in their lifetime, but I doubt that million will go far unless you're still housing and feeding them. Appreciating the value of things goes a long way to being successful with money.

noxibox

Honorary Master
A new wing or a research lab would've been too expensive. And, usually, they have to wait a few years after the "donation" before calling in the favour. Here was a more immediate need.
It never required giving enough for an entire building. The donations were in the same ballpark as these and the result was immediate.

Still doesn't explain why rich parents would try to get dumb kids into prestigious colleges. Networking? Career advancement? Marriage prospects? Vanity? Bragging rights?
Networking and career advancement would be two key ones.

Well, Lori Loughlin admitted that she never went to college but that she'd like her daughters to go to college and that she'd do anything to help them get there - little did we know how far she would go. Seems to me that it's more for vanity and bragging rights because the acceptance rates at these prestige colleges and universities are very low.

The problem is that it has never been all about merit or at least not for a few decades. The whole thing is about gaming the system. The wealthy just have some extra pieces on the board. Even without the bribery/donations their children have a better chance of being able to go to one those places.

How much these prestige colleges really deserve that prestige is another question. Maybe for some degrees and not others, which is an important consideration given how expensive they are.

Barbarian Conan

Expert Member