Colonialism wasn't all bad‚ says Helen Zille

BBSA

Honorary Master
You are 100% BTTB, but it is too high level for the average South African to understand.

BTTB

You are 100% BTTB, but it is too high level for the average South African to understand.
Actually I am of the opinion that the majority of people living in this country have no imagination to grasp our history. To conceptualise and understand history you first need an education that lines out the events in history and then your brain needs to use its imagination to understand where we are coming from. In my opinion the majority of people living in this country can only conceptualise what is happening today and the recent history they have witnessed and told to them by their parents and that only goes back around 50 years at best, basically the start of Apartheid and the events since then. WWII is too far away, it was the grandparents history, if the majority even knew their grandparents or understood what they were talking about.
My late great aunt told me lots about the period between the two great Wars and living during the Great Depression but only in later life once you go over what they said based on your own learnt knowledge does it make sense.
You need imagination, education and an interest in grasping our history otherwise for the most part anything that happened longer than a few decades ago simply doesn't compute in the brains of the majority of the people living in South Africa.

While we cannot dwell in the past, we must certainly know where we are coming from and hopefully understand and conceptualise our history and yes it wasn't all bad, fact.

Premier Helen Zille is being victimised for her tweet, purely because she is viewed as the White Madam that is ruling over the Western Cape and the media is telling stories while the ignorant majority are lapping it up.
Mayor Helen Zille did more for Cape Town in her few years than any other Mayor since 1994 and any since. That woman is a workaholic, , a dynamo, an achiever and gets things done. We are living off her excellent work and foundation she made for Patricia De Lille her successor, fact.
I doubt given the status quo of politics in South Africa if we will see another Mayor like her in the next few decades. She is politically incorrect, wrong colour for a start. Such a shame, she would have made an excellent President, but not in this lifetime unfortunately.

Sad that Mrs Zille is being targeted, when she should rather being thanked for saying what needed to be said and praised for all her hard work she has done for South Africa.

schumi

Honorary Master
ANC seeks debate on Helen Zille's colonialism tweets

Cape Town - While feeling vindicated by the judgment in the North Gauteng High Court to dismiss former premier Helen Zille’s application to have the Public Protector report on her controversial "colonialism tweets" reviewed and set aside, the provincial ANC called for a snap debate on the matter next week when the legislature is back in session.
More at : https://www.iol.co.za/capeargus/news/anc-seeks-debate-on-helen-zilles-colonialism-tweets-36813215

thechamp

Honorary Master
We will see what the ANC says, but I am sure we all know already what the answer will be.
Your imagination is running wild again. The ANC are using the topic of her tweets to discredit her and the DA since she is back, it's a political move to make the topic trend again going towards the 2021 elections.

BBSA

Honorary Master
No worries, Steenhuisen will educate them

:popcorn:

Last edited:

yebocan

Executive Member
Your imagination is running wild again. The ANC are using the topic of her tweets to discredit her and the DA since she is back, it's a political move to make the topic trend again going towards the 2021 elections.
ANC WC are incompetent - and devoid of any sort of leadership that can the party forward in the province... let alone devise/come up with a strategy to use Helen and her new liberated views as a real political advantage/tool.
As shown, she is quick on the trigger .... not a lot of work/agitation to be done to ensure that she maintains her momentum as a wrecking ball. 2021 will be interesting - on the back of a +-2.6% splitting of vote coming out of the WC, the headwinds for the DA in province is going to get stronger and more coordinated. There is more than one reason auntie Pat is in CR's cabinet , her portfolio is well positioned to asked some really difficult political questions of the provincial ruling party..... and will politically reap the rewards.

In the end, Helen will not need the ANC or anyone else ... the DA will retract ...becoming a spent national political party....consolidating as a regional political force, the EFF will be unleashed as the official opposition. In the end she will offer lamentations and reflections on the level of old Ian Smith...what could, should have been...in the end Helen you are a politician, like all of them,.... no patriots to be found.

Verde

Expert Member
That's your opinion - I've considered Helen's tweet, quite a bit, and she was wrong, it's that simple. No emotions involved, she was shortsighted, insensitive and incorrect.
Shortsighted and insensitive for sure, incorrect/wrong – definitely not.

What was the logic the people used who disagreed with her without the outrage?
It must be abundantly clear that her tweet continues to provide ammunition to the DA’s enemies. It is monumentally stupid for a seasoned politician to play into the hands of their opponents.

“For those claiming legacy of colonialism was only negative, think of our independent judiciary, transport infrastructure, piped water, etc.”

I agree with her statement 100%, but imagine if Jeremy Corbyn tweeted:

“For those claiming legacy of Soviet communism was only negative, think of defeat of Nazi Germany, USSR space program and industrialisation.”

I agree 100% with the above as well, but if this came from Corbyn the Tories would seize on it as proof that the Marxist would drag the UK down to the USSR’s level if he came to power. In the same way the ANC seized on Zille’s tweet as proof that she would drag SA back to the Apartheid mentality.

Most reasonable people would agree that Colonialism and Soviet communism was between 60% to 90% bad (depending on where they find themselves on the ideological spectrum), but not all bad.

If the leader of a party I support in a crucial upcoming election provides the opposing party with such an easy stick to beat them with, I would be crazy not to question their political savvy.

Swa

Honorary Master

It must be abundantly clear that her tweet continues to provide ammunition to the DA’s enemies. It is monumentally stupid for a seasoned politician to play into the hands of their opponents.

“For those claiming legacy of colonialism was only negative, think of our independent judiciary, transport infrastructure, piped water, etc.”

“For those claiming legacy of Soviet communism was only negative, think of defeat of Nazi Germany, USSR space program and industrialisation.”

I agree 100% with the above as well, but if this came from Corbyn the Tories would seize on it as proof that the Marxist would drag the UK down to the USSR’s level if he came to power. In the same way the ANC seized on Zille’s tweet as proof that she would drag SA back to the Apartheid mentality.

Most reasonable people would agree that Colonialism and Soviet communism was between 60% to 90% bad (depending on where they find themselves on the ideological spectrum), but not all bad.

If the leader of a party I support in a crucial upcoming election provides the opposing party with such an easy stick to beat them with, I would be crazy not to question their political savvy.
The difference between the two though is that Soviet communism wasn't needed for any of that while colonialism was. But unfortunately in a politically charged climate people don't see it that way.

It's not what cost them votes though as their supporters didn't fall into the crowd that would take offence so who cares about giving the ANC ammunition that's essentially blanks. Their biggest problem was trying to play both sides which didn't get them any black votes but cost them white ones. Overall though those people just moved over to the FF+ and will continue to do so if the DA doesn't get back on track.

C4Cat

Executive Member
The difference between the two though is that Soviet communism wasn't needed for any of that while colonialism was.
What do you mean colonialism was needed for that? There are many countries that have those things that weren't subject to colonialism

Swa

Honorary Master
What do you mean colonialism was needed for that? There are many countries that have those things that weren't subject to colonialism
Not a single one of them being African. But wait, let's just ignore that SA was a bloody cesspool of violence when the colonialists arrived.

C4Cat

Executive Member
Not a single one of them being African. But wait, let's just ignore that SA was a bloody cesspool of violence when the colonialists arrived.
Yes, the African countries were all subject to colonialism, what's your point? How would you know what SA was like before the colonialists arrived?

Vrotappel

Bulls fan

Shame you always stay quite in your little corner?

Fact is that if the average voter is to stupid to understand her tweet there is not much of a country you can built with them in any event.

grok

Honorary Master
Yes, the African countries were all subject to colonialism, what's your point? How would you know what SA was like before the colonialists arrived?
For argument's sake, how would you? The colonizers brought with them the tools to record history, the locals relied on telling stories.