'Colonialist mentality.' Fury over UK refusal to recognise vaccinations done in SA, India

rvZA

Executive Member
The UK government is facing a rising backlash over its refusal to recognise visitors as vaccinated unless they received their shots in a handful of select countries.

Under travel rules unveiled last week, fully dosed arrivals from nations such as the US, Israel and Australia will be allowed to enter England without quarantine starting October 4. But vaccinated people from vast swathes of the world still face tougher restrictions, including a 10-day home isolation period.

The measure applies even if the visitor has had a vaccine approved and used in the UK, such as the Pfizer Inc.-BioNTech version or the shot produced by AstraZeneca and Oxford University. It doesn’t matter whether the country is on the “red list” of those facing additional restrictions on entry or not.

“The stance by the UK smacks of a colonialist mentality which should be condemned in the strongest terms,” said Shabir Madhi, a vaccinologist at Johannesburg’s University of the Witwatersrand who led South Africa’s trials of both the AstraZeneca and Novavax vaccines. “If they truly believe that these vaccines are sub-optimal - which they are not - they should provide the evidence to support this.”

rrh

Expert Member
... and ignoring the fact that the UK, the European Schengen area, India & South Africa are also prohibited from entering the USA, and have been since March 2020.

NB: There are changes to the list, to take effect from early November 2021. South Africa and India are not included in the USA changes (thus far)

porchrat

Honorary Master
I do get it. I don't like it, but I understand it. This government's credibility is not high.

If I were the leader of a developed nation I wouldn't trust anything coming out of SA either.

Mephisto_Helix

Resident Postwhore
liam-gallagher-pic-rex-features-655125242.jpg

surface

Honorary Master
All this is silly really. Can't blame UK. If SA & India were as tightly locked down as Oz, they would have figured in the green list.

Also, they need to boost at least some of their industry due to their Brexit idiocy. 2285 pounds per traveler helps at least a tiny bit. Maybe some of Boris's PPE tender pals have quarantine hotels?

surface

Honorary Master
You've not seen them attacking the police in Aus?
Do you realize that we both can have different priorities in terms of news coverage? I was just honestly replying to your Aus question. If you had asked me about attacks, I would have said no. I just assumed you were talking about covid stats. My bad.

George Netherby

Expert Member
Do you realize that we both can have different priorities in terms of news coverage? I was just honestly replying to your Aus question. If you had asked me about attacks, I would have said no. I just assumed you were talking about covid stats. My bad.
All good, I could have made it more clear. As you were.

maumau

Honorary Master
This isn't great for people who want to travel to UK but seeing another country showing ZA the finger gives me a warm, fuzzy feeling.

The_Mowgs

Honorary Master
Are they also being colonialists or do we not want to upset our masters?
0efc7af93b9ca232a2369936e7cb2edf.jpg

Gordon_R

Honorary Master

Try keeping up with the news, and don't post an out of date secondary source to start a fake-outrage thread. See: