Communications minister Yunus Carrim scores a C

Paul Hjul

Honorary Master
I'd give him a B+ for effort rather than a C
the political mess is massive and his efforts great - and there are signs of delivery

elvis_presley

Expert Member
I'd give him a B+ for effort rather than a C
the political mess is massive and his efforts great - and there are signs of delivery

When he actually delivers they can push his grade up. Talk is cheap. I think C is actually fairly generous.

Baxteen

Honorary Master
actually he has already done more than Pule did in her entire time there.

yes it seems like it is all talk, but consider the mess he had to clean up. have you ever started a new job and needed to clean up the mess the person before you made?

honestly for 2013 there are 2 high paying jobs I would not have taken, due to the mess left behind by the predecessor.
1) CEO of Blackberry, like I would not touch that with a 100m pole.
2) communications minister for South Africa.

now you say its all talk? all talk is like a Zuma speech, "I promise I will" being the most used words. with Carrim its all we have done X because of that we will do Y if Y fails we will do Z.

the man is the next Trevor Manual, a smart man in a high ranking position with the ability to save the entire country by simply doing his own job well.

we cannot give him an A because he has not achieved anything (but his dealines are not passed and will not be forgotten)
we can however give him a B, the transparancy and open discussions he has had have lead to imporvements in our communications nationally, we will only reap the rewards of that later in 2014 and in 2015, but he will fix the set top box issue, and free up spectrum for LTE, then the networks can start pushing that out, and then all of a sudden we will not be reliant on telkom anymore.

dominic

Legal Expert: Telecoms
When he actually delivers they can push his grade up. Talk is cheap. I think C is actually fairly generous.

he has delivered
- new National Broadband Policy which is actually worth the paper it is written on
- the change in the attitude to work and outsiders at the DoC is close to unbelievable
- pragmatic proposed solution to digital migration
- ICT Policy Review Process which is making excellent progress
++

& he works damn hard, is humble & has a sense of humour

B- is probably right if compared globally...not enough letters before A to score him if compared locally or to his predecessor

elvis_presley

Expert Member
B- is probably right if compared globally...not enough letters before A to score him if compared locally or to his predecessor

That's the problem - Pule set the bar so low, Carrim SEEMS amazing, but its really pretty meh so far. I really DO hope he delivers, and I'll be first in line to give him a gold star if he does. But for now, he's been mostly talk - the broadband policy is a good start, but really just formalized talk - delivery is the hard part.

He's still failing badly on some big ticket items like spectrum allocation, DTT (he seems to have started going backwards on this recently after a promising start) and LLU.

As I said, I really want him to succeed but we've been burned so many times, I'm not giving him the benefit of the doubt until he scores a difficult win against Telkom or the mobile providers. They still control the comms department these days, and seem to be the tail wagging the dog like they always have.

& he works damn hard, is humble & has a sense of humour

So does my gardener, but it wouldn't help him do well as a Comms minister :)

Edit: Praise of Carrim coming from you though, I might start being cautiously optimistic about him, as not many know the industry as well as you

Last edited: