Community fund: Your feedback needed

rpm

Admin
Staff member
Hi there

After all the previous discussions about advertising on the site we would like to suggest a system where everyone benefits. We would like to give a portion of the advertising revenue to this community – you will decide what to do with the funds.

The basic idea: For every ad view and ad click a portion of the revenue gets deposited into a ‘Community fund’ (this will dynamically display somewhere that you can see the fund growth). At the end of the month you decide what to do with the money – prizes, free shirts, get-togethers, donating it to a telecoms related cause or whatever else.

You therefore don’t have to do much except use the site, click on banners which interest you and say what the community must do with the money.

We hope this will encourage users to view and click the ads (we don’t sell CPC ads so cool to encourage clicking on banners and looking at advertiser’s offering) and not use ad-blockers on the site.

Please Note: This does NOT apply to any archive advertising where Google Ads show!

Do you like the idea? Any suggestion?

Regards,

RPM

acidrain

Expert Member
A great idea in my opinion. Just concerned about conflict when decisions on how to spend it arises unless, I assume, there will be nominated options, where a poll can be in place for a few days, after which the one with the most votes gets implemented.

EDIT: One more thing. If, like teraside said, one of the options is to get everyone 1GB local, then ( as selfish as this might sound ) maybe those of a certain post count and up only qualify as something like this might cause increased "one-post wonders".

Last edited:

|tera|

Master of Messengers
I like it. My first suggestion on using the money is to buy at least each person 1GB of local bandwidth, hopefully from someone like WebAfrica (at discounted rates of course, right WebAfrica ;) )

Free T-Shirts are cool.

I would also like to see the money actually going towards something that benifits the entire community, I'm not sure of what that is at the moment, but I'll think about it, something to enhance the site maybe? Get togethers and I don't mix, I live too far away from everyone.

Great idea uncle rpm ;) I think the entire community (ok, just me, lol) would like the assurance that mybroadband's costs are covered, so we don't lose our community and the friends we get here, call me a stress ball, but I worry about things like that. Let's look after the site first ;)

chiskop

Executive Member
Great idea rpm, and FWIW MyBroadBand is the only site that gets any of its ads through my filters. Congratulations though - with the addition of Alastair to the staff, the tee shirts, this fund, it looks like the site is doing really well.

I'm not sure about the 1GB idea - what about people on 3G/HSDPA, iBurst etc - it becomes complicated very quickly.

I would rather see the money being used for TAG or similar activist efforts which is, after all, the point of the site. Tee shirts and other myADSL branded stuff would also be pretty cool though.

Pitbull

Verboten
Why not take the money and create a MyBB Bursary for people wanting to study IT or what ever.

I mean I know there was a member who had issues with Varsity fee's and we all pitched in. I think rpm should rather use the money for that. Applications to be posted on here and we nominate the person best for the bursary.

Just my 2c :D

feo

Honorary Master
Nice idea, I know it would probably be best to give some funds to TAG but cmon, what has TAG achieved? An ad in the paper that costs R50,000.00 gets published and gets noticed for one day but in the end nothing really changes.

I think we should somehow get Neotel involved in this community fund and start building a relationship with them from the start, like maybe get them to contribute to the fund or something like that. We can use the money for things like keeping the site up and running,weekly/monthly competitions etc.

stoke

Honorary Master
How much does 20m * 20m caricature of IVY eating a Donut made of copper and fibre on a Billboard next to the President's house with lots of aluminum frames and highlights go for nowadays?

We need to nominate what we're doing first, cos these things require a budget and we need to build up to that budget + some spare change for sudden unexpected costs.

i.e. Cool, but then there had better be an awesome sense of direction as to where the money is going to be used and in which order the money will be spent, and how close we are to our goals and then we will want to start fund-raising events and eventually build our own fiber network and TAKEOVER THE WORLD

/me est excited :D

Surv0

Executive Member
Great Idea, I think money should be put back into the site and of course allocated to such things tshirts, meets, general community give back etc...
Bandwidth for each user is just being greedy and needy...

rpm

Admin
Staff member
Thanks for the feedback so far - please keep it coming. If there is a such a fund, would it make you slightly more positive towards the advertising on the site?

killadoob

Honorary Master
Hi there

After all the previous discussions about advertising on the site we would like to suggest a system where everyone benefits. We would like to give a portion of the advertising revenue to this community – you will decide what to do with the funds.

The basic idea: For every ad view and ad click a portion of the revenue gets deposited into a ‘Community fund’ (this will dynamically display somewhere that you can see the fund growth). At the end of the month you decide what to do with the money – prizes, free shirts, get-togethers, donating it to a telecoms related cause or whatever else.

You therefore don’t have to do much except use the site, click on banners which interest you and say what the community must do with the money.

We hope this will encourage users to view and click the ads (we don’t sell CPC ads so cool to encourage clicking on banners and looking at advertiser’s offering) and not use ad-blockers on the site.

Please Note: This does NOT apply to any archive advertising where Google Ads show!

Do you like the idea? Any suggestion?

Regards,

RPM
well what kind of money are talkin here?

hundreds or thousands or millions :)

if its millions i would like to nominate myself to run the fund hahah

sounds like a great idea

free t-shirts FTW but also getting drunk on myadsl money FTW

oooooooooooooooooo we could hire teasers for the night, with special boxes for the member's of my adsl where anything goes

ok ok i have stopped dreaming

Pitbull

Verboten
Thanks for the feedback so far - please keep it coming. If there is a such a fund, would it make you slightly more positive towards the advertising on the site?
Hi rpm

I don't use add filter on MyBB because I like the site :)
Put the money to good use and we will do our share to get the money rolling in by clicking on the adds if needed :D

Keeper

Honorary Master
This is the coolest thing I have ever heard of - a Website actually giving some money back =)

seems almost too good to be true...

Prizes seems good, but i'm sure we can do better!

will think about it 4 a while....