mercurial

MyBB Legend
What are the options when your company does not want to pay you during the lockdown? Forcing you to use annual leave to stay home and get paid, but most who don't have annual leave are screwed and will come up severely short in the coming weeks. Spoke to a friend who works at a big retailer in this country and across the world and this is what they are facing.

eg2505

Honorary Master
The layoffs and retrenchment coming especially from the sh*ier companies that in a few weeks won't exist anyway.

Time to use the time constructively.

Study up a new skill, what else is there to do?

Kosmik

Honorary Master
It's a hard question. Unless the company has direct support, it wouldn't be able to just treat days as normal leave. Remember, folks are going to be able to claim uif for the period, that's why you pay it.

SirFooK'nG

Executive Member
I'm in the same boat, annual leave to be used while on lockdown. I have just enough to cover the 21 days... anymore and it will be unpaid...

[XC] Oj101

Dealer
My wife is in the same boat. Landlords don't want to hear a word about making up rent at a later stage.

Kosmik

Honorary Master
My wife is in the same boat. Landlords don't want to hear a word about making up rent at a later stage.
Good luck to them trying to recover or evict. I don't advocate not paying but that is very short sighted.

Hamster

Resident Rodent
I reckon any decent company should've planned for an event like this (loss of a big contract, major power outage, pandemic etc) and be able to cover staff salaries for a month or two. But no, big bonuses, luxury cars and expensive holidays come first and the company second.

thestaggy

Honorary Master
I have 35-days of leave available to me, so I am okay. Not happy that I will lose so much, but its a hit I can take.

Some of my colleagues who don't manage their leave well are not so happy.

Kosmik

Honorary Master
I have 35-days of leave available to me, so I am okay. Not happy that I will lose so much, but its a hit I can take.

Some of my colleagues who don't manage their leave well are not so happy.
Same, not as much but more than sufficient to cover the lockdown. Fighting for my team though.

deweyzeph

Executive Member

Landlords aren't going to have an option. It takes months to legally evict someone even at the best of times. In this current climate they aren't going to be able to evict anyone, and even if they could, there is going to be a serious shortage of suitable tenants. Any landlord with half an ounce of business sense is going to have to take the hit and hope that their tenant's financial situation improves eventually.

[XC] Oj101

Dealer
Landlords aren't going to have an option. It takes months to legally evict someone even at the best of times. In this current climate they aren't going to be able to evict anyone, and even if they could, there is going to be a serious shortage of suitable tenants. Any landlord with half an ounce of business sense is going to have to take the hit and hope that their tenant's financial situation improves eventually.

If the rent is caught up in the months that follow do they still have a leg to stand on?