Comparing ISP networks

My experience is limited to Vox and Cool Ideas (CI). Having just moved to CI (from Vox), my local (speedtest priority server) ping went from about 30ms to about 0-1ms. So not only are CI faster, I don't have to deal with the bullshit and highly suspicious (fraudulent?) dealings of Vox. If you can't tell, I'm not a big fan of Vox.

surface

Expert Member
Question. So, we have metrofibre in our complex. What could be one (or many?) reason why speeds will vary between different ISP's? Assuming 10/10 package on all ISP's? Is it because relatively low-cost ISP compromise on something?

My neighbor & I were using ISP-X for last 8 months. I shifted to ISP-Y and having teething troubles; neighbor is happy that he didn't switch. Nothing really changed for me except ISP. What gives?

PBCool

Cool Ideas
Company Rep
Question. So, we have metrofibre in our complex. What could be one (or many?) reason why speeds will vary between different ISP's? Assuming 10/10 package on all ISP's? Is it because relatively low-cost ISP compromise on something?

My neighbor & I were using ISP-X for last 8 months. I shifted to ISP-Y and having teething troubles; neighbor is happy that he didn't switch. Nothing really changed for me except ISP. What gives?
MFN just do layer2 the ISP does the rest so lots of differences. Are you saying your new ISP is having teething issues on MFN specifically?

surface

Expert Member
MFN just do layer2 the ISP does the rest so lots of differences. Are you saying your new ISP is having teething issues on MFN specifically?
Thanks for response. Some other members reported issues on vumatel also (for same ISP) so it is not restricted to MFN specifically.

p.s. By the way, I had sent request to cool ideas a month+ ago but got a response that network was closed for cool ideas. Apparently there was some miscommunication between MFN and ISP's which was sorted out few days later. I must say I have been impressed by your replies and/or resolution (as a company rep) and will definitely consider your company if I don't get a joy within couple of weeks.

Last edited:

PBCool

Cool Ideas
Company Rep
Thanks for response. Some other members reported issues on vumatel also (for same ISP) so it is not restricted to MFN specifically.

p.s. By the way, I had sent request to cool ideas a month+ ago but got a response that network was closed for cool ideas. Apparently there was some miscommunication between MFN and ISP's which was sorted out few days later. I must say I have been impressed by your replies and/or resolution (as a company rep) and will definitely consider your company if I don't get a joy within couple of weeks.
Cool let me know if I can help with anything.

jman

Expert Member
So we have Metrofibre in our complex, with the 5mbps package going for R210 or something a month. Must say, while it's obviously not lightning quick, it's solid and I'm able to stream dstv, netflix, showmax, etc with no issues in full HD

Where or how can I check if there is open access to the estate where I live? As far as I am aware we can still only use a specific ISP for fibre services.
Metrofibre installed the backbone in my estate.

CPTGuy

Where or how can I check if there is open access to the estate where I live? As far as I am aware we can still only use a specific ISP for fibre services.
Metrofibre installed the backbone in my estate.
Hi Johan

These could give you an idea of some of the ISP's that are available on the MFN network (not sure it's exhaustive though):
https://www.fibretiger.co.za/network/metrofibre

Or, I guess this is straight from the horse's mouth:
http://metrofibre.co.za/residential/get-connected

I imagine the ISP's should be able to confirm if they can provide to your complex based on the info provided to them by MFN.

prOd

Expert Member
I have to decide between Mweb and Cool Ideas, I do game on EU quite a bit. I was thinking Mweb initially, but see some folks have had serious shaping issues. What do you guys recommend?

Edit: After a bit of digging, seems like CI is the way to go.

Last edited:

Jimmy-Z

I have to decide between Mweb and Cool Ideas, I do game on EU quite a bit. I was thinking Mweb initially, but see some folks have had serious shaping issues. What do you guys recommend?

Edit: After a bit of digging, seems like CI is the way to go.
I haven't seen any shaping with Mweb, apart from torrents (which I hardly ever use). For January I did about 6TB on my 200MB line with no issues at all.