Comparing South African death causes to what fears they're googling

Bradley Prior

MyBroadband Journalist
Super Moderator

livw88

Only medical related deaths for SA is listed in that chart. So you telling me that the non stop barrage of daily murders and road accidents we hear about is purely to sell more newspapers?

Random717

Expert Member
Only medical related deaths for SA is listed in that chart. So you telling me that the non stop barrage of daily murders and road accidents we hear about is purely to sell more newspapers?
https://compareguru.co.za/news/top-10-causes-death-south-africa has a list that lumps murder together with accidental deaths, the combined figure coming in at number 2 in a top ten list.
As a separate line item, number 2 would fall off the list entirely, and murders would come in around 8th or 9th.
Number 3 is TB, which is often co-morbid with HIV, both of which we hear a lot of as well.
Number 1 is ill-defined causes?

Swa

Honorary Master
More useless research. Are people expected to know what they're going to die from?

kazeus

I'm a health care professional and still am trying to figure out what the point of this article is?
What correlation is trying to be made here?
Not only patients have access to google, I've seen a large amount of students, doctors, nurses and other healthcare providers googling some of those specific terms, be it to brush up on their knowledge, remind themselves of doses of medication or while studying. How is this type of bias separated from this "study"?

EasyComs

The most amazing stat is : nobody just dies of old age anymore . . . something must always be blamed

The Voice

Executive Member
Scariest part is that the top killer in SA in 2019 is still TB. Sort that **** out!

The_MAC

Executive Member
The most amazing stat is : nobody just dies of old age anymore . . . something must always be blamed
And AIDS related deaths are bundled up into their corresponding categories knowing very well that it was not the flu that killed the individual. The media also reports it as such when high profile people pass on.

Nerfherder

Honorary Master
I did mean it tongue-in-cheek.

But that was and continues to be very tragic :crying:
Ye, the more I think about it the more hectic it is.

We assume life will be better in another country and that there will be some kind of safety net for us on the other side but the reality is you give up so much when you leave. Most of us will go over with no backup plan.

The Voice

Executive Member
Yeah - TB as secondary infection to AIDS ? depends how accurately the cause of deaths are reported
That's the thing with AIDS, though: it doesn't kill you, it's always something else because your immune system is toast.

Swa

Honorary Master
Anybody remember the controversy over the doctor who wrote "AIDS" as a cause of death?

Tacet

Expert Member
Terrible graph. It pulls everything to a 100 % total, so it gives no indication of the ratio of deaths due to various illnesses, or the number of searches per cause. What does 100 % even mean? For HIV/AIDS, which has a split at about 20 %, does it mean that 4 people Googls HIV/AIDS for every one person who dies of it?