Competition Commission approves Afrihost acquisition of Cool Ideas

ajules

Expert Member
Well done to the 2 owners of CI.I’m sure they made a nice little packet and thoroughly deserved.They have been a consistent presence on the forums dealing efficiently with queries and it’s noticeable the immense effort they have put into their business.

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
I don't mind it, but bureaucracy is inevitable. Business culture changes will be made, irrespectively, as it always happens in any and all enterprise acquisitions.

Just maintain the good service and I will be happy, and may the deal add sustainability.

OCP

Expert Member
CISP owners deserve the best - I truly hope they will not regret their decision down the road as AH is not a company I would trust on any level.

As long as they maintain the same levels of service and support I will remain a loyal customer and keep suggesting and promote them but if they drop to AH levels then it's a time to find another provider.

swakop_toe

This is bad news.
Time to move on then.
Hello Mind the Speed.
ae7fe6334c1f8bbbc1445baaa8524c19.jpg

john_deckard

Afrihost on Vuma 200/200 = R1147
Cool Ideas on Vuma 200/200 = R1349 = +R202 price differential. Will CISP drop their 200/200 price now?

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
I may be under correction, but this would be the 'right' step in becoming ICASA compliant.

john_deckard

I hope not, I want CISP levels of service, not Afrifail service.

I might just chance it to be honest. I'm getting daily blips in my internet. I honestly don't think CISP is as good as they used to be. Do you still pay installation fee if you switch from one provider to another? R200 is still R200 to me.

AfriNatic

Afrihost Rep
Staff member
This is bad news.
Time to move on then.
Hello Mind the Speed.
ae7fe6334c1f8bbbc1445baaa8524c19.jpg

Hi,

Sorry you feel this is bad news. We are quite excited and we are confident things will only get better.

Can I assist with anything?

swakop_toe

Hi,

Sorry you feel this is bad news. We are quite excited and we are confident things will only get better.

Can I assist with anything?
Thanks for the concern.
I have had horror experiences when MTN owned you okes.
You were the cream of the crop before that.
I fear CISP will go the same way, just as they are the diamonds in the ISP market currently.

AfriNatic

Afrihost Rep
Staff member
Thanks for the concern.
I have had horror experiences when MTN owned you okes.
You were the cream of the crop before that.
I fear CISP will go the same way, just as they are the diamonds in the ISP market.

We definitely made mistakes and so much so that past clients won't even want to even want to consider us. We do apologise for that. I understand that you might have fears regarding this but I can assure you we are still functioning as separate entities and will continue to do so.

I think if you look at both companies we all have the same goal.

swakop_toe

We definitely made mistakes and so much so that past clients won't even want to even want to consider us. We do apologise for that. I understand that you might have fears regarding this but I can assure you we are still functioning as separate entities and will continue to do so.

I will definitely give the deal the benefit of the doubt and truly hope the merger makes the two of you truly the best ISP in this very sad county of ours.

All the best.

MEG101

If I might comment, I had great service form Afrihost since I had my first ADSL Line back in 2009. I used the data part of R 29/GB and Telkom for the line. I had great internet back then. I signed up for Just DSL this year and the service I get so far is superior!! I have true uncapped unshaped unthrottled internet that is a breeze to use. I understand that this is a fiber discussion, but as soon as my complex is fiber ready, I will move to Afrihost Fiber. I had just awesome service form @AfriNatic when he assisted me to get Pure DSL, even though Openserve said there is "no coverage" at my address.

keru

Am glad I moved to Mind the speed when they launched. No regrets. Moved from Afrihost to Coolideas and now MTS.

GhostSixFour

!=Ghost64
I may be under correction, but this would be the 'right' step in becoming ICASA compliant.

Are you referring to the 30% BEE ownership thing? Or is that separate? I wonder if this decision was maybe affected by the 30% BEE thing?

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
Are you referring to the 30% BEE ownership thing? Or is that separate? I wonder if this decision was maybe affected by the 30% BEE thing?

Yes, but I don't know the particulars behind this deal. The "30%" could be a motivator or a contributor. I am, merely, speculating.

GhostSixFour

!=Ghost64
Yes, but I don't know the particulars behind this deal. The "30%" could be a motivator or a contributor. I am, merely, speculating.

Yeah fair enough. All we can do I suppose? It's not like @PBCool is gonna come on to the forum and say:"So we sold our business, that we spent years building, to the only real competition that can afford to pay what we wanted - instead of getting fined or giving 30% of our business away"

If that is the case, that would be super sad, I'm sure they weren't just building a business getting ranked top everytime just to sell it.