Complaints against banks on the rise

entrepr

Expert Member
Why the high number of cases and high number awarded to the complainants? Are the banks simply poor on process or ignorant of customer rights, or do they deliberately reject customer queries and take a chance that a portion of the customers won't go to the ombudsman?

Viva

Expert Member
How do the fraudsters get hold of both the banking details and cellphone number of their victims? It has to be through some kind of fault on the victim's part, not so?

In the case of Capitec, will sim swops achieve anything? As far as I know they only use either a key ring thingy to generate numbers, or the smartphone app.

HavocXphere

Honorary Master
How do the fraudsters get hold of both the banking details and cellphone number of their victims? It has to be through some kind of fault on the victim's part, not so?

In the case of Capitec, will sim swops achieve anything? As far as I know they only use either a key ring thingy to generate numbers, or the smartphone app.
Not necessarily. The bank for example has both cell number and bank details on their system so if there is an insider there then it could be feasible to compromise both without fault on the victims part.

elvis_presley

Expert Member
Not necessarily. The bank for example has both cell number and bank details on their system so if there is an insider there then it could be feasible to compromise both without fault on the victims part.
Yup. Every case I've read where people were caught, it's been an inside job in either the bank or cellphone company.

Viva

Expert Member
Yeah, insiders are the only other way it seems. Pretty sad actually.