Computicket fined R20 million for anti-competitive contracts

Jamie McKane

MyBroadband Journalist
Staff member
Super Moderator
Computicket fined R20 million for anti-competitive contracts

The Competition Tribunal of South Africa has ordered Computicket to pay an administrative penalty of R20 million for abusing its dominance in the ticketing industry.

The tribunal found that Computicket leveraged its market position to secure exclusive agreements with its customers and cut out other ticket distribution companies.

Really... R20million. Where is the financial logic in such matters. Anyone with even the most basic understanding of finances would know that such anti competitive practices would have netted Computicket 10 times that in one year, and this penalty covers how may years again...? Basically, the penalty is small enough to allow for Computicket to continue in a profitable space, even if facing penalties. My goodness... you can see their dominant position by just looking at their website which looks like it was built in 2001.

Tjoker

Expert Member
And what happens to this money? The consumer does not get compensated....

requiem

Expert Member
This anti-competitive behaviour allowed Computicket to extend exclusive contracts and negotiate better rates with larger customers compared to smaller ones.

Companies which complained about Computicket’s exclusive contracts include Artslink, Strictly, Tickets, Going Places, and Space.

How is that anti-competitive behaviour?

PNP can't give me a discount - I must pay the same as I would at woolies?