Concerning number of security breaches in SA

elf_lord_ZC5

Executive Member
Here, the rule of law is, "Look north, and Feck Forth" because it only happens to other people, not us.

Besides, securing our data costs money, which would be better in our pockets than someone else's.

Leno

Expert Member
Drive-by downloading is when a user unknowingly visits an infected website, and then malware is downloaded and installed without the user’s knowledge.

Would love more details on this, is the payload using a JS exploit we are not aware of, I was under the impression attacks like this require user interaction

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
Alarming number of them using Fortinet?

Solutions are only as good as it is implemented and managed. I have many a time seen solutions installed into ecosystems only to discover it wrongly scoped, underutilised or serving no purpose.

From my own discoveries in IT, people tend to blame the product rather than the service.

r00igev@@r

Executive Member
Solutions are only as good as it is implemented and managed. I have many a time seen solutions installed into ecosystems only to discover it wrongly scoped, underutilised or serving no purpose.

From my own discoveries in IT, people tend to blame the product rather than the service.
That might all be true but so is the product to blame when the devs do backdoors and use dated libraries like in the list here:

r00igev@@r

Executive Member
stop talking kaka now.As one of the esteemed networking gurus on mybb i expect better from you.
The issue is this, its called integrity. A vendor whose product has failed should fix it for free by sending in resources. Also build the product to be more fail-safe.
Networking is cowboy territory, Unluckily, not like the maturity shown by aviation and medical.

Edit: The guys who sold it have taken their money and laughed all the way to the bank.

ubercal

Expert Member
The issue is this, its called integrity. A vendor whose product has failed should fix it for free by sending in resources. Also build the product to be more fail-safe.
Networking is cowboy territory, Unluckily, not like the maturity shown by aviation and medical.

Edit: The guys who sold it have taken their money and laughed all the way to the bank.

iam wondering now if you actually setup IT systems or are you some IT academic researcher ?

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
That might all be true but so is the product to blame when the devs do backdoors and use dated libraries like in the list here:

I have to agree, but I also blame this on service providers sticking by their sales commitments, rather than their standard and compliance commitments, as well as the onus being placed on purchasers who have to be better consulted. I have very high and strict standards, and I call this out, and regularly come across scopes which are all wrong (and outdated).

Companies and people aren't concerned until the day they are compromised, and accountability is a pill always asked to be swallowed by someone else.

SLAs are also incredibly generic. I could swear that companies copies each other's contracts without realising that the contract needs to be exercised. I don't trust any SLA, and when it is under committed, there are always some 'technical' angle as to how the commitments was met.

The problem is that we can't escape the Break-Fix thinking and doing, and kudos to the companies who do practice the latest standards.