Concerning number of security breaches in SA

Moto Guzzi

Expert Member
yes but most likely it wasnt setup properly.Doesnt matter if you running the best equipment ie cisco etc. if its not setup right then all it is , is an expensive door stop.

Even if its setup correctly at a certain time, theres always this neverending Updating, Upgrading, & Replacing, no man, the world cannot afford this scenario/game forever, it keeps on eating money & resources around that, and not all(Resources) that is taken into account.

r00igev@@r

Executive Member
I have to agree, but I also blame this on service providers sticking by their sales commitments, rather than their standard and compliance commitments, as well as the onus being placed on purchasers who have to be better consulted. I have very high and strict standards, and I call this out, and regularly come across scopes which are all wrong (and outdated).

Companies and people aren't concerned until the day they are compromised, and accountability is a pill always asked to be swallowed by someone else.

SLAs are also incredibly generic. I could swear that companies copies each other's contracts without realising that the contract needs to be exercised. I don't trust any SLA, and when it is under committed, there are always some 'technical' angle as to how the commitments was met.

The problem is that we can't escape the Break-Fix thinking and doing, and kudos to the companies who do practice the latest standards.
That is a true story. Many of those docs have copy and paste stuff in that doesn't make sense.

In this case you can look at the tenders and Fortinet signed off to carry the can. Unless I cannot read as well as talking kak.
f1.jpg
f2.jpg

r00igev@@r

Executive Member
Even if its setup correctly at a certain time, theres always this neverending Updating, Upgrading, & Replacing, no man, the world cannot afford this scenario/game forever, it keeps on eating money & resources around that, and not all(Resources) that is taken into account.
I can agree to that - updating because someone discovered programmed backdoors and then the client is an idiot for not updating. No, the client was screwed. But thats an academic view?

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
I can agree to that - updating because someone discovered programmed backdoors and then the client is an idiot for not updating. No, the client was screwed. But thats an academic view?

Not to even mention Fortinet designing their products to make this as difficult as possible so that you need to buy another overly expensive product that does very little in the real world.

Specifically referring to the fact you can’t schedule a firmware update natively on their devices, but need to have a FortiManager appliance to do it or a FortiCloud subscription for stupid money.

It’s almost like it was designed to fail unless you go all-in on their license crap.

And yea I know you could achieve this with a cron job etc but that’s hardly consumer friendly and more so probably not supported so if something goes wrong they’ll have a ****.

Simple stuff that should just be built-in.

r00igev@@r

Executive Member
Fortinet? Or a random Fortinet Reseller?
I says the reseller must be certified by Fortinet and the solution must be validated by Fortinet.

Of course the reseller can just BS and lie but that is illegal to do that. Wait...

rvZA

Executive Member
Who cares about security breaches? It is not as if all South African citizens' full names, surname, identity number, phone numbers, email information, employment information and addresses have not been leaked before.

Pure insanity to think that your identity can still be protected or is protected. No amount of protection can ever change that fact that all your personal information is already in the hands of a number of private individuals, for whatever reasons they are using it.

r00igev@@r

Executive Member
Not to even mention Fortinet designing their products to make this as difficult as possible so that you need to buy another overly expensive product that does very little in the real world.

Specifically referring to the fact you can’t schedule a firmware update natively on their devices, but need to have a FortiManager appliance to do it or a FortiCloud subscription for stupid money.

It’s almost like it was designed to fail unless you go all-in on their license crap.

And yea I know you could achieve this with a cron job etc but that’s hardly consumer friendly and more so probably not supported so if something goes wrong they’ll have a ****.

Simple stuff that should just be built-in.
I haven't done one in a while but does it still use TFTP?

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
I haven't done one in a while but does it still use TFTP?

I do believe that **** is still there for local firmware updates and recovery.

But I’m just talking about remote ones via the GUI.

I’m fairly new to FortiOS products having only spent about two years working with them now, but it feels prehistoric compared to other UTM solutions I’ve worked with in the past.

r00igev@@r

Executive Member
I do believe that **** is still there for local firmware updates and recovery.

But I’m just talking about remote ones via the GUI.

I’m fairly new to FortiOS products having only spent about two years working with them now, but it feels prehistoric compared to other UTM solutions I’ve worked with in the past.
You know what they say: if it looks like it, if it smells like it and it feels like it then... :po_O