Concerns as LTE moves to Wi-Fi spectrum

FNfal

Executive Member
How would this work ?
If the cell companies use the channels all the time we would not have any connection on WIFI .
WIFI connections from high sites near you will blow you out the water and you would end up with no connection if you are near a high site .
This i can see as a real problem .
I have seen how cell companies transmit on a spectrum analyzer and as they get busy their spectrum expands , they could take up the whole free to air spectrum on a busy site .

Last edited:

FNfal

Executive Member
^^

This answer it? Using mitigation techniques and they say better coverage than Wi-Fi.

Snip
I know exactly how cell networks work , the video above actually adds to my concern with cell networks using WIFI free to air band width .

dominic

Legal Expert: Telecoms
LTE-U has reportedly received criticism from Google, the Wi-Fi Alliance, cable operators, and others in the telecommunications sector who warn that it could squeeze Wi-Fi out of the spectrum on which it runs – specifically, the unlicensed frequencies in the 5GHz band.
well. duh. that is precisely the intention

reactor_sa

Executive Member
Knobs, we will have to start boosting our WiFi signals to illegal levels to try compensate. The end results will be a crappy experience for WiFi and LTE in the same freq range.

zippy

Executive Member
America is quite far from South Africa. I doubt there will be much impact on South Africans

FNfal

Executive Member

jannievanzyl

Telecoms expert
America is quite far from South Africa. I doubt there will be much impact on South Africans
Actually could happen faster here than in the US.

With no new spectrum allocated for LTE, SA operators have to look at any possible solution to get more spectrum to increase user throughput. LTE-U might just be one of them.

jannievanzyl

Telecoms expert

FNfal

Executive Member
Actually could happen faster here than in the US.

With no new spectrum allocated for LTE, SA operators have to look at any possible solution to get more spectrum to increase user throughput. LTE-U might just be one of them.
Here you have it from the horses mouth . :whistling:

Browser

Qualcomm has worked to assuage concerns, demonstrating during a recent media event that switching one Wi-Fi access point in an area to LTE-U increased the performance of the remaining 8 wireless networks.
Excuse me but doesn't that specifically prove that flooding WIFI in any spectrum degrades performance on that spectrum, hence that they are going to screw things up.

jannievanzyl

Telecoms expert
Excuse me but doesn't that specifically prove that flooding WIFI in any spectrum degrades performance on that spectrum, hence that they are going to screw things up.
Think it might well be the other way around.

The mobile operators have the tools (expensive) and know-how to do proper frequency planning. However this won't help.

As already seen above, many Wi-Fi operators just put booster amps on everything (illegal) and screw it up for everyone around.

Been saying for years that Wi-Fi operators are their own biggest enemy and can't see this change anytime soon.

Yuu

Expert Member
I know exactly how cell networks work , the video above actually adds to my concern with cell networks using WIFI free to air band width .
Am aware you know but thought you may have missed this one :whistling: . Have you heard anything since the post?

reactor_sa

Executive Member
Why don't they use the 5ghz band? Not many people us that.
Scew u white boi! Y you no use 5ghz?!

OK serious, I use a dual band router, I use 5ghz where possible because of this exact reason. Hell one of my neighbours is using 2 access points on different channels, then I have 2 others sharing the 3rd, which leaves me having to pick one to share. On 5ghz I'm the only one for blocks!

Valerion

Expert Member
Why don't they use the 5ghz band? Not many people us that.
5GHz is mainly used by people that run links outside their houses. Think of all the internet-over-WiFi providers, they all run 5GHz. As well as links between buildings. And 802.11n and 802.11ac can both use it.

dominic

Legal Expert: Telecoms
Think it might well be the other way around.

The mobile operators have the tools (expensive) and know-how to do proper frequency planning. However this won't help.

As already seen above, many Wi-Fi operators just put booster amps on everything (illegal) and screw it up for everyone around.

Been saying for years that Wi-Fi operators are their own biggest enemy and can't see this change anytime soon.
morning

that is, of course, a massive generalisation
licence-exempt is just that so in principle it is there for anyone to use, the issue is one of co-existence and the relative impoliteness of the LTE protocol vs Wi-Fi
in SA the majority of use of 5GHz is in 5725-5850 where there is a PtP eirp limit of 200W and 4W for PtMP + some use in 5475-5725 (eirp 1W) - industry should be working together to get ICASA to relook at the entire band and the very feasible option of reforming it to create around 700 MHz of contiguous licence-exempt bandwith from 5150 - 5850 MHz