Concerns over “rookie” SAA plane inspectors

Newsfeed

MyBroadband Newsfeed
Staff member
Concerns over “rookie” SAA plane inspectors

The Sunday Times has reported that the SACAA (South African Civil Aviation Authority) has insisted on SAA paying for two inspectors to receive full A350 training.

The training is required before the new A350 planes – which SAA is set to put into service soon – are allowed to take off. The A350s will replace older planes on the Johannesburg-New York route.

ForceFate

Honorary Master
Cutting corners to get planes in the air? It didn't work particularly well for FAA. I'd like to read more on this. Why does SACAA insist they meet minimum requirements.

Segg

Expert Member
This is a common issue with the CAA - a while ago an inspector grounded a King Air after observing its refueling with Jet-A1

The reason she gave was "it has propellers so it must use Avgas"

People in the industry have been moaning about this for a very very long time already, a more recent ruling they've made (also with King Airs) is that now the training must be completed on an actual aircraft instead of the simulators people have been using for years already without any issues...

I got a quote out of interest sake 2 weeks ago to see what this training now costs on a B200..... I couldn't get a good ballpark figure because the hourly rate for this aircraft rental is R25 550.00 per hour.... so R425 a minute....

Its policy like this that is crushing the industry without having a direct impact on safety

Their employees aren't allowed to hold pilot licences anymore as its deemed a conflict of interest, yet they are supposed to have more knowledge and say than a multi-thousand hour senior captain

Ancalagon

Honorary Master
I know somebody who used to work as a senior inspector for the SACAA. He was allowed to hire anyone he needed to help him in his duties - as long as they were black. Of course, nobody matching the criteria was found and so nobody was hired.

He resigned to take a less stressful position in private aviation, and when he did, his boss literally burst into tears and begged him to stay.

The Free Radical

Getting certified as a commercial pilot is hardly a rookie qualification. The training is extensive.
In order the be certified to inspect any commercial airliner involves extensive training by the aircraft manufacturer, and the local and foreign Civil Aviation Authorities where the aircraft are cleared to operate.

We must separate flying time (practical skills) with technical ability (mechanical, safety and systems skills)

The job at hand requires the latter to conform to statutory requirements.

Last edited:

xeslaro

Executive Member
The legacy of the ANC.
At first glance I'll agree. But. The ANC are only as strong as the support it has. Videlicet, the general populace is ultimately the girder for that "legacy", lets call it policy. The ANC are mere custodians.

In comparison and similarly, we've learnt that the NP party weren't held accountable for the apartheid legacy - they don't even exist. Sacrifice is the currency that expunges accountability, it seems to me.

The question remains, how much currency is required to sufficiently discharge the debt of the past legacy, in the eyes of the general populace? For until then, the custodian marches on with the policy of the day. 'Cos they are allowed to.

What I'm trying to say, it's not ideal to point fingers of an action or policy towards only a political party. History is succinct and taught us that the people are blameworthy.

Segg

Expert Member
Getting certified as a commercial pilot is hardly a rookie qualification. The training is extensive.
In order the be certified to inspect any commercial airliner involves extensive training by the aircraft manufacturer, and the local and foreign Civil Aviation Authorities where the aircraft are cleared to operate.

We must separate flying time (practical skills) with technical ability (mechanical, safety and systems skills)

The job at hand requires the latter to conform to statutory requirements.
I agree with this to a certain extent, but remember flying time is just a metric to measure experience, often technical experience and a greater understanding of the machine come with this, especially if one is proactive and continues to learn about their equipment

Just the King Air training spends 3 solid weeks learning about the technical aspect of the aircraft, by the end of the course the pilot should know it inside and out...

Obviously one can't compare a B200 to a 777, but the core aspects of the training remain, especially those that relate to being able to identify airworthiness

Zukat

Expert Member
People should avoid flying SAA regardless, as a matter of principle.
They dont have any competitive advantage be it from price or service perspective so there is absolutely no reason, unless you are working for the govt, to fly with them.

ForceFate

Honorary Master
They dont have any competitive advantage be it from price or service perspective so there is absolutely no reason, unless you are working for the govt, to fly with them.
Direct flights between JNB and JFK

upup

Executive Member
Well, we got a door at work. Gave a senior worker a can of oil to fix [lube] the noisy door. He oiled the lock with half the can. door still noisy.
what has my story to do with aircraft bEE. Everything.

ForceFate

Honorary Master
Well, we got a door at work. Gave a senior worker a can of oil to fix [lube] the noisy door. He oiled the lock with half the can. door still noisy.
Is the oil guy at your workplace one of the people selected by SACAA?

thechamp

Honorary Master
I like this senior worker, he is an asset, hold on to him.