Conflict brewing surrounding new law that ends Eskom's monopoly

Daniel Puchert

Journalist
Staff member
Fight looming about new law that ends Eskom's monopoly

The South African Local Government Association (Salga) wants specific definitions in the Electricity Regulation Amendment Bill changed, claiming it is unconstitutional as it currently stands.

The National Council of Provinces (NCOP) passed the bill on Thursday, 16 May 2024. It aims to reform South Africa's electricity industry and introduce an open market for electricity trading.

Calling Eskom an monopoly feels negative today but in the past (not saying when) it was the best producer in the world.

You've had a monopoly had still completely screwed it up. How about we try something else now? Go back to being useless and let people sort the problem out.

I dont see this as a win for the country, sure there is short term benefits, however, over the long term when Eskom is under a new proper government we wont see the cheap electricity they produce, currently only at about R0,65 p/kWh. I can see SA attracting and retaining many heavy industries with such low electricity prices.

I dont see this as a win for the country, sure there is short term benefits, however, over the long term when Eskom is under a new proper government we wont see the cheap electricity they produce, currently only at about R0,65 p/kWh. I can see SA attracting and retaining many heavy industries with such low electricity prices.
What kak you talking?

Back