Confusing Signage on the N3 South before Gilooleys

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
So I noticed this today when driving back to the office from a Seminar in Edenvale.

It used to be there were only two inner lanes of the highway heading straight South on the N3, the other 3 lanes split to the East.
But now, they have changed that and there are three lanes heading south and only two heading East.

2011-07-21_R24WestSignageFig1s.jpg

This is the first sign you come to heading South After Linksfield.
It's confusing enough, but not too critical yet.
But when you get to the second sign, confusion reigns....

2011-07-21_R24WestSignageFig2s.jpg

There is a slew of cars in that third land that suddenly realise they are supposed to be one lane to the East/Left and they swerve to the left to avoid the white line which BEGINS DIRECTLY UNDER THE SIGN giving you no time to make an adjustment. Of course, the Ekurhuleni Metro cops, realising this, are sitting on that split and fining motorists who just happen to cross the white line.

It is just me, or is this confusing to anybody else. None of the signs are directly over the lanes where they should be, and having only a few split seconds to look at the signs and work out where you are supposed to be there is no time to look down at the ground as well and realise that you are sitting on the wrong side of a white line. :mad:

Kelerei

Expert Member
Looks fine to me. First sign clearly indicates that lanes 1 and 2 will turn off and lanes 3-5 will keep going straight. Also, in the second pic, the thick dashed line indicates a) the separation and b) that the solid line is coming up.

The arrows don't have to be directly under their respective lanes - the lane layout is shown clearly enough in both the signs and the road markings.

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
The sign in the first pic is not as bad, but the two signs in the second pic are not above the lanes they correspond to. So the driver in the middle lane assumes he falls under the sign above him, when in reality the sign to the right of him is the one that applies to him. There is also insufficient time to make a lane change after realising that you are in the wrong lane. NOTE: The distance between these two signs is about 200 meters, hardly enough time to change lanes when traffic is heavy.

HapticSimian

Honorary Master
The driver is a moron. First sign clearly shows the 2 most left-hand lanes split off.

Surely we don't need signs that span highways with particular instructions above every individual lane? :confused:

genetic

Honorary Master
The driver is a moron. First sign clearly shows the 2 most left-hand lanes split off.

Surely we don't need signs that span highways with particular instructions above every individual lane? :confused:

We definitely don't need signs above every single lane indicating its exact location. Nearly all highway signs are just illustrations of lane layouts and lane directions. They hardly ever point the exact location of the lane below. If you can't see that there are 3 lanes going left and two going right, then it's you at fault - not the sign.

I don't see the problem. looks perfectly fine to me.

genetic

Honorary Master
Looks fine to me. First sign clearly indicates that lanes 1 and 2 will turn off and lanes 3-5 will keep going straight. Also, in the second pic, the thick dashed line indicates a) the separation and b) that the solid line is coming up.

The arrows don't have to be directly under their respective lanes - the lane layout is shown clearly enough in both the signs and the road markings.

^^

This sums it up perfectly.

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
Well, it's obvious that I was not the only one confused, cos the cops were pulling mucho people over there. And all of them were protesting very loudly. There are several combining factors here which make this very unfair. Just a year ago the layout was different before the road upgrades. I don't live in this area of town, so I have not had to drive this way in ages. The traffic is very busy and there is not enough time to look up at the signs and down at the road. I would have figured it out after I had drive there at least once... but to fined on the very first occasion I had been through this new intersection is not fair. The white line begins far too quickly... right under the sign. There is simply not enough time to swerve to the left without causing an accident. Two lanes swinging to the East is not actually enough, since they carry more traffic than that heading South. This results in that side of the highway being cramped and cars not having enough space to merge. The overhead signs are jumbled and unclear to me... and I consider myself an average road user. It's all well and good to say you can understand them now looking at them, but try it when you are moving at speed down the highway and only have a split second to take a look and make your choice.

Anway, we will see what the public prosecutor says.

D3x!

Banned
Sorry also don't see a problem, that highway is changing weekly atm with off ramps etc, plus if I recall the speed limit is reduced to 80 there currently? Or is it only from after the split?

Taking pics while driving ey?

Wall

Sports Addict
I also don't notice the confusion. seems straight forward to me.

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
Sorry also don't see a problem, that highway is changing weekly atm with off ramps etc, plus if I recall the speed limit is reduced to 80 there currently? Or is it only from after the split?

Taking pics while driving ey?

My dad took the pics in the passenger seat next to me.
I was not about to use my camera with cops standing right there.

Kelerei

Expert Member
Well, it's obvious that I was not the only one confused, cos the cops were pulling mucho people over there. And all of them were protesting very loudly. There are several combining factors here which make this very unfair. Just a year ago the layout was different before the road upgrades. I don't live in this area of town, so I have not had to drive this way in ages. The traffic is very busy and there is not enough time to look up at the signs and down at the road. I would have figured it out after I had drive there at least once... but to fined on the very first occasion I had been through this new intersection is not fair. The white line begins far too quickly... right under the sign. There is simply not enough time to swerve to the left without causing an accident. Two lanes swinging to the East is not actually enough, since they carry more traffic than that heading South. This results in that side of the highway being cramped and cars not having enough space to merge. The overhead signs are jumbled and unclear to me... and I consider myself an average road user. It's all well and good to say you can understand them now looking at them, but try it when you are moving at speed down the highway and only have a split second to take a look and make your choice.

Anway, we will see what the public prosecutor says.

First sign indicates 500m to the solid white line. That's plenty of time.

Apologies if my next point comes across a bit harsh - but in my opinion, those who are not observant enough to read that road sign and who then swerve in at the last minute deserve what they get.

Creature

I think you need to go and study your learners again. It clearly shows 3 lanes going straight and left 2 turn left. Don't see the issue here.

FarligOpptreden

Executive Member
I drive that road quite often (either to the airport or to the South) and I haven't had any problem with the signage. I think they did reduce the speed limit to 80km/h so people can get accustomed to the changes they made. At that speed, you'll have more than enough time to familiarize yourself with the lanes and make corrections if necessary.

Kelerei

Expert Member
Yeah, but the concept of a "speed limit" is a foreign one to Gauteng drivers!

eXisor

Expert Member
Problem (to me) seems to be that people who used to know that section are just not looking at the new signs, sort of doing it on autopilot. That explains why so many have the problem, and also why the cops are having a field day.
Of course the people are in the wrong. Road signs change all the time so one must pay attention, and the signs you posted are clear (as most posters here have said). Even the first one is clear. Expecting the lines to align with the road on the first sign is just silly. They hardly ever do on that sort of sign.

genetic

Honorary Master
The road even has arrows painted on it indicating it's direction it's going to take. If for what ever reason you think the sign isn't clear enough - surely the large white arrows on the road should help?

xrapidx

Honorary Master
The only thing I found confusing was that you found it confusing :p

Nerfherder

Honorary Master
I have traveled that highway and the only issue I would have with it is that the sign comes up after a bend and the highway merges just before that bend.
So if you are merging you will try and keep right to avoid cars coming on the left, then if you want to get off on the left then you have to cut across to get to the two turning lanes very quickly. If you are not concentrating then you might get stuck in the far right with very little time to move across.

I think the issue happens before the bend where the highway splits in to 5 lanes, you need to pick your lane then. Sometimes it means that you must just stick behind the trucks so that you can get your turn off.

This is a case where the metro cops could be doing something else rather than harrasing people who often are blocked from taking their turn off.

(Btw if you miss this turn off and you don't know the area you could get really lost)