Connecting a Huawei B618 LTE router to Mikrotik

Messugga

Honorary Master
Right, I'm having a similar issue to the guys here, and frankly, I'm getting to the point where I just want to pay someone to configure my Mikrotik for me.

Here's the situation - I have ADSL, which my Mikrotik connects to via PPPoE.
I have a Hauwei LTE router.

I want specific traffic (YouTube, HTTPS, FTP, whatever I want to prioritize) to go via the LTE connection, and all other traffic to go via the ADSL connection.

Now, I currently have my ADSL modem connected to Eth1.
I have the LTE modem connected to Eth2, and I have it set as DHCP client.
The issue at the moment is, as soon as I enabled Eth2, it looks like all my internet connectivity dies, so I guess routing or something is screwed up.

Can someone give me a step by step (high-level at first would be fine) guide as to how I should start?
The Mikrotik is running as DHCP server, gateway, etc. It's the core to my network, essentially.

tRoN

Executive Member
Right, I'm having a similar issue to the guys here, and frankly, I'm getting to the point where I just want to pay someone to configure my Mikrotik for me.

Here's the situation - I have ADSL, which my Mikrotik connects to via PPPoE.
I have a Hauwei LTE router.

I want specific traffic (YouTube, HTTPS, FTP, whatever I want to prioritize) to go via the LTE connection, and all other traffic to go via the ADSL connection.

Now, I currently have my ADSL modem connected to Eth1.
I have the LTE modem connected to Eth2, and I have it set as DHCP client.
The issue at the moment is, as soon as I enabled Eth2, it looks like all my internet connectivity dies, so I guess routing or something is screwed up.

Can someone give me a step by step (high-level at first would be fine) guide as to how I should start?
The Mikrotik is running as DHCP server, gateway, etc. It's the core to my network, essentially.
This is similar to my scenario but I want the Adsl to be used for the AP for guest WiFi but the HUAWEI to be the main source of internet for the office. If the LTE goes down then the Adsl must be provided as backup.

The best thing would be to get the HUAWEI into bridge mode so the Mikrotik can do all the routing.

ghostim

Expert Member
This is similar to my scenario but I want the Adsl to be used for the AP for guest WiFi but the HUAWEI to be the main source of internet for the office. If the LTE goes down then the Adsl must be provided as backup.

The best thing would be to get the HUAWEI into bridge mode so the Mikrotik can do all the routing.
The B618 can not do bridge mode because its a mobile device and does not ppoe to connect to the LTE network. I'm using a B315 as dumb modem without any bridge mode connected to a EdgeRouter which does all the dns,dhcp,routing etc.

tRoN

Executive Member
The B618 can not do bridge mode because its a mobile device and does not ppoe to connect to the LTE network. I'm using a B315 as dumb modem without any bridge mode connected to a EdgeRouter which does all the dns,dhcp,routing etc.
What do you mean “dumb modem”?
So the 315 can do this better over the 618?

Bernie

Expert Member
Guys: What control do you have over DSL modem IP address in bridge mode? If you do, then some other configuration is possible (only one Mikrotik WAN port is needed).

- set LAN/WAN port on the Huawei to "LAN only"
- configure modem, Huawei LAN and Mikrotik WAN port IP addresses in the same subnet (by example 192.168.8.x). Disable DHCP servers on this LAN segment or keep one running, but these IP addresses must be outside DHCP range.
- set DMZ option on the Huawei for Mikrotik as usual
- connect both DSL modem and Mikrotik WAN port to the Huawei by cables
- usual configuration is made on Mikrotik (DHCP, DNS, port forwarding, PPPoE dialing for DSL modem). For OP it would need to to define different gateway for each LAN subnet. For tRoN, simply setting up default gateway metric parameter lower value for cellular connection than DSL modem will make automatic preference for cellular a magic.

It is Sunday night, sorry if suggestion is a bit insane. :)
So I finally got my RAIN LTE. The B618 was out of stock so just got the B315 - it was free :)
So while this thread is about the B618, I am guessing it will be very similar if not the same.

I got it to work the way I wanted. I used the above as the setup and had to make a couple of changes to the Mikrotik. Thank you sajunky this really helped.
I cannot say if this is best way or if there is a better / easier way - please let us know.

What I did:

1. So the ADSL modem, the B315 and the Mikrotik WAN port were set to the same subnet - all static addresses.
2. I have a cable from the Mikrotik WAN to a port on the B315 and a cable from the ADSL modem to the B315 (this was previously in the Mikrotik WAN port)
3. Once all connected I checked that the PPPoE was still dialing out on the ADSL and that all hosts still had connectivity.
4. I also checked that I could get to the landing page of the B315 - all good so far.
5. So I disabled the ADSL, restarted the B315 and ..... NO INTERNET - damn!! now what.
6. Ahhhhh - I used peer DNS on the Mik and once the ADSL was disabled there is no DNS as I use the Mik as the DNS server.
7. Add google DNS to the Mik, try again... NO INTERNET - damn!! now what.
8. There was no default route as the ADSL is now disabled - So I add in a default route, try again... YES!!! I can connect from hosts via the B315
9. OK, half way there, all I need to do now is switch on the ADSL and change the gateway of the subnet I want to work off the B315 to the B315 address
10. So I try that - NO INTERNET on that subnet.
11. Ahhhhh, of course, the gateway needs to be on the same subnet as the subnet you want to connect from.
12. So I google a bit, try a few things - I then I remember seeing something a while back about load balancing 2 WAN's on a Mik and they used some mangle rules.
13. I create a mangle rule for my subnet. prerouting, source address - whole subnet (I guess one could isolate specific hosts if needed), Action->Mark Routing, Routing Mark->RAIN
14. I try again, NO INTERNET via th B315 - come on now, I have tried everything, there is obviously a bug in the MikrotiK.....
15. Ahhhh, of course - I need to identify which default route to use in the routing screen, using the routing mark.
16. Change the route to work of the routing mark.
17. Hellu-f**ing-luuuyaahh!!!! - It all works now.

Some screen shots.

B315 Ethernet Settings
315eth.jpg

B315 DHCP
I kept this on, just to give me the option of direct wifi access.
315dhcp.jpg

B315 DMZ
To be honest I am not 100% sure what this does, but its all working - so aint gonna try fix it. What does this do actually?
315dmz.jpg

Mikrotik

Mangle Rule

chain=prerouting action=mark-routing new-routing-mark=RAIN passthrough=yes
src-address=10.0.0.0/24 log=no log-prefix=""

Default route for RAIN

I also changed the distance to 10, the ADSL is 1.

mikroute.jpg

elbow

B618 WLAN/DHCP only allows a 192.168.x.x range. Seriously? WTF!?

- configure modem, Huawei LAN and Mikrotik WAN port IP addresses in the same subnet (by example 192.168.8.x). Disable DHCP servers on this LAN segment or keep one running, but these IP addresses must be outside DHCP range.
I just received a B618 and want to add it to my LAN as another gateway.

But my home LAN uses 10.64.16.0/24 as its LAN IP range. My home network is part of a larger WAN and so it can't by easily changed. We use 10.64.16.0/20 as a range for staff home networks.

So I'm looking at the B618 admin interface and it seems that it only allows you to choose a network in the 192.168/16 range. Seriously? Surely I'm missing something? Why on earth would they do that?

Anyone?

Elbow

sajunky

Honorary Master
So I'm looking at the B618 admin interface and it seems that it only allows you to choose a network in the 192.168/16 range. Seriously? Surely I'm missing something? Why on earth would they do that?
Seriously... A WISDOM. .LOL.
You can change LAN interface IP to any address you like, but not from the WEB admin page. :(

Huawei Hi-Link API allows more configuration options. You can use a E5186 Tollbox to access these options: https://mybroadband.co.za/vb/showthread.php/798330-Toolbox-for-new-Huawei-HiLink-devices-(E5186-B315s)

See my post #17067994 on the first page. I was focusing on changing the function of DNS relay, you will see LAN IP address and netmask settings in in the same section, so you can change it for your convenience (/api/dhcp/settings).

Please also read next post about warning of using private Class A IP range for a LAN with some Internet networks like Cell C. It could be a reason why they limit user choice to Class C.

Last time I checked there were problems with Toolbox download link. If it is still not fixed, I can send my copy, PM for that.

Last edited:

DblD

Could someone conceptually explain how to make use of B618 with Mikrotik or EdgeMax as a second WAN/Gateway for either a failover or load balance scenarios?

Typically I guess one would have Mikrotik making a PPPOE to some DSL modem, and than how to go about incorporating the B168 as a second WAN.

Dirty Harry101

Could someone conceptually explain how to make use of B618 with Mikrotik or EdgeMax as a second WAN/Gateway for either a failover or load balance scenarios?

Typically I guess one would have Mikrotik making a PPPOE to some DSL modem, and than how to go about incorporating the B168 as a second WAN.
What link is on the B168?
Either way, make a route with distance 1 on the failover line. Then test by unplugging the main line and make sure it runs through the backup line. I have an ADSL 3G solution running like that.

bob12

I am thinking of getting Rain LTE-A from one of the ISP's. You get a Huawei B618 with SIM that is locked to the router.

It has a LAN and WLAN eth port. From what I could see you cannot put this router in bridge mode and dial out from the Mikrotik.

Is it still possible to connect the router to the Mikrotik and then via routing in the Mikrotik provide access to internet via the Huawei B618 to a subnet that is defined on the Mikrotik.

I already have ADSL setup like this with a modem in bridge mode.

My goal is to have both ADSL and the LTE as available internet connections to the internal LAN. There are 3 LAN sub nets and I want one of the sub nets to rather use the LTE connection instead of the ADSL.

Mikrotik model is RB2011UiAS-2HnD-IN

Hope this makes sense.
You are wrong by saying that Rain LTE-A sim cards are locked to the B618 or B315 router.

The Rain LTE-A sim cards are NOT locked to any device.
And they are not locked to a specific device's IMEI.
Also, you can put MTN/Vodacom/CellC/Telkom sim cards into the Rain B618 router and they will work.
You can put a rain LTE-A sim card into any approved router.
The Rain LTE sim card will only register onto the Rain cellular network if the sim card is in a router which Rain will allow (Huawei B315, Huawei B618, Huawei B2338 (Outdoor), TP-Link MR200, ZTE MF253, ZTE MF283+, ZTE MF286).

I put my Rain LTE sim card into my LTE Samsung Galaxy phone, and the sim card registers onto the Rain network for one second then it gets kicked off, changing to full signal for emergency calls only.
I guess the Rain cell tower can detect the device that the sim card is using.
I'm sure you can change the model information on your rooted android phone, and then spoof/trick the Rain network into detecting that your android phone is a B315 router.
I would like to try change a device's information on on old phone or router, but I'm afraid of bricking the device.

shahed26

Hey Guys

Apologies for hi-jacking this post somewhat. I have a similar question regarding the Huawei B618, however I wish to connect it to an Asus RT-AC68U wireless router. The reason for this is the fact that this particular router has a Traffic Analyzer feature within the ASUSWRT firmware which allows one to get detailed information on all the connected devices, connections and bandwidth usage.

I see most people who have used the Asus RT-AC68U with separate xDSL modems, have opted to configure the modem in bridge mode to let the Asus do everything. From what I can see, the Huawei does not have the option to be set up in bridge mode.

If I connect one of the Huawei's LANs to I assume should be the WAN on the ASUS, should I leave the Huawei's DCHP on to assign an IP to the Asus in turn have the latter's DCHP (perhaps another subnet?) handle client connections as everything will be connecting wireless? Will this setup result in double NAT-ing? Also, will this setup allow the traffic analyzer to work as intended as in theory it should be monitoring connected clients' traffic going through the Asus' WAN interface.

If I have this all wrong and should set this up differently, please advise. Thank you in advance.
Any update on this, did you manage to connect it, if so what is the procedure to connect. Thanks